10.25" Solid Steel Balls

pexter

I haven't weighed them yet they feel to me like 145-150ish each.I got them from a cement plant.I can get 12" as well.

Would make a sick dumbell if I had a handle welded on it huh?

Edited by pexter

Pexter,

Tromp Van Diggelin claims Goerner had a solid steel ball that weighed 220 lbs and Gorner would, while seated in a chair, reach forward to take the ball off a table and then press it overhead. How high the table was in relation to Goerner (that is, how much of a 'clean' type movement was involved) was not stated. Nor was it mentioned how close the chair was to the table, which would help us to understand if Goerner took it off the table at chin level or chest level.

Add a 2" handle and you've got yourself an unliftable bell!

Those would make some awesome atlas stones if you could get them in the 2 or 3 hundred pound range.

You got them from a cement plant, were they free? I may try to find some for myself.

Someone mentioned that such balls are used to break up old concrete. If that is so, I wonder 1. Why would the concrete/cement plant part with them? 2. Where does the plant buy them when new? 3. What is the largest size available?

Joe - I'm willing to bet they don't use those steel balls for wrecking concrete anymore and have gone up the technology ladder (things like jackhammers and other machines). That would explain your #1 & #2.

Roark,

They are used in some kind of fasion as giant ball bearings in the bottom of a cement cooler,for a cement kiln.They start off as 12" and wear perfecltly even down after time to 11.25" or 10.25" balls.The plant foreman said this is the only kiln in the USA that uses this type of cooler anymore.So the ones I have are scrap!

Davekline,

I got the same ball and chain type deal when I got Married.Except it had a cuff attatched to it that locked around my ankle. :tongue

"I got the same ball and chain type deal when I got Married.Except it had a cuff attatched to it that locked around my ankle. "

That ball will not become smaller... :blink

If intested I can get some of these for about $200 a piece. They use them to crush coal too. The only problem you might run into is with welding them. I know that some are made from weird alloys and probably won't weld too well.

I know that some are made from weird alloys and probably won't weld too well.

Where there is a will there is a way. If you can find out the alloy composition then you'll have a good shot at welding it. Hell, you can weld titanium with the right setup.

Brian

That's true the worst that could happen is you would need to pull the handle off and grind the ball down. That really would be a sick dumbell....

I can get the 11.25" & 12" ones as well.That would be an even sicker dumbell.

The unliftable Inch :D

I will get a pair of 11.25" ones next time I go.Which will not be for a few months.

Davekline,

I got the same ball and chain type deal when I got Married.Except it had a cuff attatched to it that locked around my ankle. :tongue

:rock It's good to see I am not the only one here with a witty sence of humor.

Oscar Wilde once said, "Bigamy is having on spouce too many, monogamy is the same."