Millennium Dumbbell Lift

kimwood

Lift weights, work hard, pay no attention to lists or to "history" especially strength history.

Never suffer fools or silly people. Question all rules.

Word is Bond. -Kim Wood

This post makes little or no sense. Oh well.

Some people when they lift "do it just to do it." They don't do it for the approval of others or for "their place in the grand scheme of things." History is important, but it is for others to sort out after the fact. Many strong men don't care about being on some wank's list. They live in such a way that they challenge themselves and they step up to the challenge. It is a very personal and very important thing to them. What other people think is not really important. To step up and do it, that is important.

And for the guy who asked, word is bond...where are you coming from?

The way i look at it saying you can lift it off the ground is no different then me saying i can take my #3 and get it 1/4 or 1/8 of an inch from closed. No proof is needed for me to say that unless i say i can close it. I think proof should only be needed if you say you can do a full deadlift with it.

Nice work John!

on some wank's list. 

It is a very personal and very important thing to them.  What other people think is not really important.  To step up and do it, that is important. 

The man doth protesth too much.

Oh and the word is 'common' not 'comman' sheesh!!

The way i look at it saying you can lift it off the ground is no different then me saying i can take my #3 and get it 1/4 or 1/8 of an inch from closed. No proof is needed for me to say that unless i say i can close it. I think proof should only be needed if you say you can do a full deadlift with it.

Then I also take it, and others who have tried will verify this, you have never got the MDB a few inches of the ground. It is compareable to a CoC 4.

Some people when they lift "do it just to do it." They don't do it for the approval of others or for "their place in the grand scheme of things." History is important, but it is for others to sort out after the fact. Many strong men don't care about being on some wank's list. They live in such a way that they challenge themselves and they step up to the challenge. It is a very personal and very important thing to them. What other people think is not really important. To step up and do it, that is important.

And for the guy who asked, word is bond...where are you coming from?

Then why post it here? You know/knew the rules? The proof rule was voted in by the people on the board a while back, many agrees with the rule. If you don't agree with it, respect the rules and don't post record stuff. No offense.

Mobster,

Each of us makes typos- you used brought in this thread when I am sure you intended bought.

I know Kim and John, and I know Kim's word is his bond, and he lives by this rule. Unfortunately not everyone lives by that rule- thus we have faked lifts in strength history. If we were simply to believe every lift because the person claiming it said 'Word is bond' there would be no need for judges or contests- simply do whatever you can privately, then report to others.

Though that would be ideal, it would also be a failure. Inch, Anderson, etc.

The conflict comes when someone such as Kim or John, who lives by this rule, enters discussions either assuming that others share this value, or that others will at least acknowledge the honesty of those who do.

Rules are made for lawbreakers, not for the honest, but we must all abide.

As I mentioned earlier, I fully believe John got the MB off the floor, and having been awaiting word of it, and as Kim mentioned, we will, when the feat is finished, be seeing a photo of the completed deadlift, and at that point, Word will be coupled with evidence, and hopefully all will be satisfied.

Mobster,

Each of us makes typos- you used brought in this thread when I am sure you intended bought.

Yeah but so many times!! :whacked

I hope this topic gets locked. Hard to believe that someone posted that there is "too much talk on this board" It is a discussion board. Discussion as in talk. And just who is the silly person from Britain Mr Wood?

I know i've not posted for a long time, I read the board in awe of some of the feats here.

My reason for posting now is to ask how do you know this poster 'Mr wood' is whom he claims.

Steve seems to feel his post is out of character.

Their are lots of trolls out there.

That said, John best of luck with your attempts to fully manhandle this bell. Steve, See you at dover in july.

Edited by vikingpower

Congrats John!

Good job!! :rock

Why such a big deal that he can lift it a few inches???? Yes, lifting it off the floor is a feat only a couple of men have accomplished, but all he did was get it off the floor.

If i took a #4 and closed it an inch, i wouldn't make a big deal out of it, although only a handful of people have closed it.

Also, why is everyone wasting their energies on this when there is lifting to be done?

Congrats on your progress john.

To whom it may concern,

Recently, myself, along with Dr. Ken and kathy Leistner from Long Island, NY, Janet and Steve Balwin from Memphis Tennessee, and Roger LaPointe from Detroit , Michigan, witnessed John Wood lift one of the Millennium Dumbbells I purchased from Steve Gardener in England off the ground.  I have seen him do this eight or ten times without warming up; the highest lift was about 6 inches off the ground.  I was an NFL strength coach for 29 years.  I helped start Nautilus with Arthur Jones.  Pete Brown, Gary Jones and myself started the Hammer Strength Corporation.  I have been lifting since 1958.  I have been fortunate enough to see many of the great lifters perform, Norb Schemansky, Tommy Kono, Clyde Emerich, Ken Patera etc... I am 58 years old.  I do not wear glasses. 

Word is bond.-  Kim Wood

Hello Kim,

My post is not beng directed to the viability of John`s lift. I have no

problem believing it as you reported. The rules of the Gripboard, as I see

them, are our security for truth and proof of feats deemed by

many to be world class. Please be patient with this.

Actually what caught my attention was the statement you made about helping

Arthur Jones start Nautilus. Were you ever in Deland, Florida at this time?

I asked this because in a "This is a small world" venue, I was able to tour

the Nautilus compound in late 1972 or early 73. I had an aquaintance that

worked there at this time. I got to meet Mr. Jones and Ellington Darden, along

with Boyer Coe, and the Mentzer brothers. It was quite a day for a 20

year old to meet these guys.

I was over at the Cyberpump Donators section this am and saw the

Arthur Jones Museum display and it brought back memories of that day!

There are different documents that are being put up for viewing

There is even a payroll sheet listing all the people that worked at Nautilus

or was at Deland. I did not see your name on the List.. Shoot you might

have even been one of the people I shook hands with :) Who knows.

I saw my aquaintance Harry Lopsonzskis name. That was cool!

My apologies if this question is out of line Kim

Steve seems to feel his post is out of character.

Their are lots of trolls out there.

That said, John best of luck with your attempts to fully manhandle this bell. Steve, See you at dover in july.

If anything quite the opposite. I thin k he prides himself on being forthright but will do so with it bordering on the obnoxious. Those that like Mr Wood will say 'he speaks his mind'. Those that he speaks his mind about will think otherwise. If I asked him about someone with whom he held in low regard his reputation is one of 'the guys an ass'. But that's all you'd get, no why or what for.

I will be there in July :D

The other postee - lifting the millennium even a few inches clear of the floor is a feat of world class strength. Standing fully erect is greater, doing so while keeping it level would be the greatest.

I hope this topic gets locked. Hard to believe that someone posted that there is "too much talk on this board" It is a discussion board. Discussion as in talk. And just who is the silly person from Britain Mr Wood?

I asked the same thing. I could have said 'who's the ratty moody old git from Cincinatti?' but didn't. :cool

Mobster,

Yeah but so many times!! :whacked

What are you a spellin bee judge?

QUOTE (kimwood @ May 28 2004, 10:10 PM)

To whom it may concern,

Recently, myself, along with Dr. Ken and kathy Leistner from Long Island, NY, Janet and Steve Balwin from Memphis Tennessee, and Roger LaPointe from Detroit , Michigan, witnessed John Wood lift one of the Millennium Dumbbells I purchased from Steve Gardener in England off the ground.  I have seen him do this eight or ten times without warming up; the highest lift was about 6 inches off the ground.  I was an NFL strength coach for 29 years.  I helped start Nautilus with Arthur Jones.  Pete Brown, Gary Jones and myself started the Hammer Strength Corporation.  I have been lifting since 1958.  I have been fortunate enough to see many of the great lifters perform, Norb Schemansky, Tommy Kono, Clyde Emerich, Ken Patera etc... I am 58 years old.  I do not wear glasses. 

Word is bond.-  Kim Wood

Hello Kim,

My post is not beng directed to the viability of John`s lift. I have no

problem believing it as you reported. The rules of the Gripboard, as I see

them, are our security for truth and proof of feats deemed by

many to be world class. Please be patient with this.

Actually what caught my attention was the statement you made about helping

Arthur Jones start Nautilus. Were you ever in Deland, Florida at this time?

I asked this because in a "This is a small world" venue, I was able to tour

the Nautilus compound in late 1972 or early 73. I had an aquaintance that

worked there at this time. I got to meet Mr. Jones and Ellington Darden, along

with Boyer Coe, and the Mentzer brothers. It was quite a day for a 20

year old to meet these guys.

I was over at the Cyberpump Donators section this am and saw the

Arthur Jones Museum display and it brought back memories of that day!

There are different documents that are being put up for viewing

There is even a payroll sheet listing all the people that worked at Nautilus

or was at Deland. I did not see your name on the List.. Shoot you might

have even been one of the people I shook hands with  Who knows.

I saw my aquaintance Harry Lopsonzskis name. That was cool!

My apologies if this question is out of line Kim

My apologies guys if I seem selfish in bumping my post

I just would like to know if Kim was at Deland..

Thanks for your consideration

There are no gripboard rules against claiming world class feats without proof. Claiming the feat without proof is acceptable, but rule #4 says the post will then be locked, thereby preventing an argumentative thread 3+ pages long. ;)

I did ask wanna but he said it was kinda interesting...

is lifting the damn thing off the floor a few inches a world class feat??? i guess it isn't because the thread wasn't locked allowing for a 3+ page arguement :kiss

I'd be quite happy if it was locked - no problem.

You guys are killin' me. (Steve, you DID mispell "Cincinnati" on purpose, right?)

P.S. Word is bond (but only if it is spelled right.)

Edited by kimwood

Er no, but I didn't look it up - sorry about that. :blush

I checked earlier - I think this is the most you have ever posted!! :)