Nail Between Green/yellow

JasonL

I can do the white/green, but find the yellow, not so much. I find there is such a big difference between the green and yellow. its like going from a 53pd Kettlebell to a 88pd Kettlebell, can only imagine the blue/red ones.

What other nails shouldl I get to help brake the difference?

JasonL :blink:(:angry:

get some 3 to 6 foot sections of 3/4" hot rolled steel and cut it to 7 inches or so. The yellow is CRS, so I would think a 6.5 or so HRS would be about the same?

Rick Walker :rock

Rick I think you meant 1/4" stock. Most of the hrs stuff we have is about an inch difference. So a 6" hrs is like a yellow. Start at 7" hrs and work your way down then try the yellow. Good Luck!

Austin

Yes...1/4"

:laugh

I did that in an earlier thread as well.....

Rick Walker :rock

3/4"-

No, actually Rick just has high aspirations!

Edited by EricMilfeld

I am also inbetween the green and yellow nail. I'm not sure I can get a hold of HRS, I can find CRS though. I was thinking about taking yellows and shaving a bit from the middle until I can do an unmodified one. Will that work well?

Anyway, since I don't ever recall seeing HRS in the stores I go to, anyone know where the zinc plated steel would stack up?

how about grade 2 hex bolts, 6" x 1/4 " that seems about in the middle and easy to find.

Michael (and Jason), do the Home Depots in your area not carry 1/4" HRS? This is what I used to work up to the Blue nail. This stock was much softer than the IM stuff. And yeh, try experimenting with some different brands of bolts till you find what you need.

Edited by EricMilfeld

I am also between the green and the yellow, but I am very close to actually bending the yellow. I agree, this is a huge jump between the two. I have found that any 1/4" steel I buy at the hardware store is softer than the IM yellow. I have tried HRS, CRS, and plated steel, and they all feel about the same. This is stock I purchased from both Lowe's and Home Depot.

Various timber ties have really helped me close the gap. Between the timber ties, and progressively shorter lengths of 1/4" steel, I have steadily been closing in on the yellow.

Stick with it. You will get the yellow soon! :rock

Home Depot Timber Ties are just easier than the yellow.

Also, try 3/16" square stock.

3/16" square stock felt much easier to me than timber ties. I was U'ing 5" of 3/16" square before I even touched a timber tie. So you can try that progression, square then timber ties.

In my experience home depot has two types of 1/4" steel - zinc plated and steel round rod. The zinc plated is easier, a little harder than a timber tie. I'd estimate the steel round rod to be around as hard as a yellow, but can't bend either strictly.

I'd say, based off of the stock I get at home depot, the order of difficulty is something like:

Green Nail

3/16" Square Stock

60D Spiral Nails (8 Twist Timber Ties)

1/4" Zinc Plated Steel Rod

Grade 2 Hex bolt

1/4" Steel Round Rod

Yellow