Bender's Starter Kit

smp76

It has come to my attention after all the reading I have done on the Bending Discussion section of the Grip Board that there are great things to be gained by Bending. It occured to me, that if I was to begin I should ask some veteran Benders for what they would recommend for a Starter Kit. So, if one was to go to Lowes or Home Depot and invest in some steel to bend where might one start?

If a few Veterans could think back to when they were wee benders and what they might have started with and incorporate the "I wish someone had told me that when I started bending" comments and insights, this bending world could benefit from all their input.

So, if you could, just list a few nails, steel lengths and diameters someone who has okay hand strength, i.e. can close the #2 with both hands, and has the brute force and ignorance trainning attitude should feel comfortable with starting with. I have the MHS by Brookfield and have done the KTA and loved it, just to give you an idea of the mind set I have. So, please share your wisdom and let me give praise where praise is due. :bow

Thanks for all the help, I soon hope to be counted as the many worthy benders.

-SMP

First off, welcome to bending. :D I don't consider myself a "veteran" bender but I have worked my way past the Blue Nail. My advice would be to get some 3/16" steel. Get a lot of it. Buy some bolt cutters and cut dozens and dozens of lengths to 6"-the rough equivalent of the Ironmind White Nail. The more the merrier. Bend these at your leisure. When you're done with whatever number you bought-the more the better-buy some more 3/16" steel. Cut it to 5" lengths. Dozens and dozens of pieces. Repeat the bending until you've bent it all. Then buy some 1/4" Hot Rolled Steel. I'd start with 8" or so on these. Bend dozens and dozens of pieces. Then buy some more 1/4" HRS and work your way SLOWLY down to 7" pieces. I would recommend moving down in 1/8" length increments. Then buy some more 1/4" HRS and work your way SLOWLY again down to 6" pieces. Then you might try an Ironmind Blue Nail and see how close you are. By the time you can bend a 6" piece of 1/4" HRS you will have built up a good level of bending strength.

The only thing I would do differently if I could start all over again-and if I had the willpower to actually put it to work-would be to bend a lot more of the weaker steel before moving to the 1/4" HRS. I haven't injured myself yet, but I think that's due more to luck than anything else. I don't think that you can build too big of a base. But I know you can build too small of a base. The more bending you do the stronger you'll get. Good luck!

I just started bending recently, so hopefully I can help you on this.

First off, read Bender's website - http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html

If you were to consult nothing else, I still think you'd be well off.

For my two cents, I'd say start with 3/16" round steel cut and bend it from 7" to 5"... over a period of time, of course.

Then work with 3/16" square stock 7" to 5" again.

Get some timber ties then. Lots of them. Great workout.

Start moving onto 1/4" round steel from there. Past that, someone else will have to pick up, as I don't have the expertise.

For training advice, I'll echo Ben in saying that it's important to build a good base. It's fun to bend harder and harder steel, but it's very, very easy to hurt yourself. Make sure you give your hands plenty of rest to recuperate.

And second, I'd say work some sledgehammer levering a lot. It is the #1 training exercise, imo, that carries over to bending. And once again, take it slow. Don't hurt yourself.

Bending seems to take longer to heal and progress and holds a higher chance of injury, so just play it safe.

Thank you guys for the replies...I hope to read more about everyone who had some experience in bending and learn how to bend my way to some serious hand strength.

-SMP

Edited by smp76

Along with what has been mentioned I would suggest 60D polebarn nails they are cheap and easy to bend for anyone with a good strength base, also experiment with many different cloths, both texture and size to find what works for you...1 more tip, if you have a grinder at home grind down the sharp point just enough to dull it a little, this will reduce chance of stigmata....Brett

I am not a veteran bender either, as I have only been doing it for about 4 1/2 months. However, here are some things I would recommend.

1. Experiment with the various bending styles. Not everyone is equally strong with the various styles, and you should try them all out to see which one works best for you (e.g., double-overhand, double-underhand, etc.)

2. Experiment with a variety of bending cloths and wrapping techniques. You will probably change the way you do this several times.

3. Experiment with a variety of bending stock. I agree 100% with everyone else that you should progress slowly and safely. However, you also need an honest assessment of what your current strength level is. I have read numerous reports of people who could bend an IM yellow the first time they tried. Then, there are others like myself, who had to start at the very bottom. 3/16" steel was very difficult for me when I first started, and I still have not bent an IM yellow. If you cut some 7" x 3/16" stock, and it bends like a coat-hanger, shorten the steel until it is challenging. Then, once you find a level that is challenging, begin bending it in volume. For variety, don't be afraid to try 1/4" carriage bolts, various timber ties, polebarn nails, 3/16" square, etc. If you find the 3/16" at all challenging, then I will warn you that the jump to 1/4" steel is pretty big. You will probably need to find nails/bolts that will help you fill the gap.

4. Listen to your hands and wrists. They will tell you when to stop. Bending is great fun, and very addictive, but it is not worth getting injured over.

5. If you don't have a log, I recommend starting one. It is a great way to stay motivated and to keep track of your progress.

OK, I am going to stop now. Welcome to the world of bending! It is lots of fun and I look forward to reading about your progress. :)

Great posts by everyone so far. Raziel is right on in his explanation of what materials to get for a beginning bender.

Here is a detailed progression list of materials based on my experience:

3/16" steel

3/16" square steel

Home Depot Timber Ties

1/4" HR steel

Grade 2 bolts

5/16" Aluminum from onlinemetals.com

40D Nails from 7 corners hardware

Yellow and Blue Nails

1/4" Zinc Plated Stock

60D Nails from Fleet Farm

David Horne's Challenge bars around the 200k-220k levels

3/8" Aluminum from a hardware store (onlinemetals AL is much tougher)

5"x.5"x.1875" HR Flat Steel Bar from onlinemetals.com

5/16" brass stock

Grade 5 bolts

David Horne's Challenge bars around the 235k-250k levels

9/32" Drill Rod from McMaster Carr

11/32" Brass from onlinemetals.com

Grade 8 bolts

3/8" Brass

19/64" Drill Rod from McMaster Carr

280k C-bar

1/4" Square Steel Stock from FBBC

290k C-bar

5/16" HR Steel from Fleet Farm

Letter "N" Drill Rod from McMaster Carr

IM Red Nails

.316" Drill Rod

5/16" Grade 2 bolts

.323" Drill Rod

6.5" Red

5/16"x7" Grade 5 bolt

7"x.5"x.1875" CR Steel Flat Bar from onlinemetals.com

Please note that a lot of these materials vary depending on where one gets them. I tried to be as specific as possible in describing these. There are many kinds of 60D's and stock, this list is based on the materials I have bent or tried bending. I am going to Warren's tomorrow night and there is a chance he will have his calibration machine finished. If so, I will try to test as many of these metals as I can and update the list accordingly.

Great advice from others already so I wont have much to add. I will say a couple of things though. Experiment with the different styles. I was stronger at the start with the reverse grip or terminator style and wasnt even close underhand but after a couple of workouts I found my groove and Im much better underhand so be patient when trying different techniques.

Also I would recomend using the sledge a ton. Benders idea of using a sledge for 6 months first is a great idea although hard to do as bending can be alot of fun. This past 2 wks Ive been doing the sledge every other day and my bending has gone up without bending and my wrists feel alot better also.

I think Volume early on has been a big help as well. More volume equals better technique. Like others have said find a good level to start with and work up in volume, slow and steady. Good luck!

Austin

This post should be archived I think. Very helpful.

Actually, David if you don't mind, I would like to copy your post for the Power and Bulk archives.

Yeah, I printed out a copy to keep with my bending supplies so I'll know what to order as I get stronger. Thanks David!

David,

That is an awesome list. I printed it also.

What about wrenches. Have you bent any? What would be a cheap easier brand for us new benders to start with? I'm at the yellow, aproaching 60d level.

Gary

Thanks you Dave for the comprehensive list of materials for bending. I also want to thank all who have contributed to this discussion and I look forward to starting a bending log of my own. I have two weeks left of my KTA session and have the #3 to less than a centemeter until close. I look forward to the bending and pinching to help with the climbing of the #3 mountain. Again, thank you all for your help. :bow

-SMP

Good info for me, a newbie-

Thanks for the info... I just got into bending (going to hopefully soon invest in the bag of nails kit) with some 6,0mmx180mm long nails from the Bauhaus hardware store. I can't even conquer these unbraced yet :blush but I'm working on it. The main thing is the pain in the hands... I actually thought about getting some of those chain mail gloves to start with... but after reading the bending rules here, I am not sure I should.