Im Nails Equivalent

Meat Loaf

HELLO

Can an experienced bender give me for all to see the final list of what type of nail or bolt is the close to exact equivalent to the ironmind White, Yellow, Green, Blue and Red nails? i don't wanna spend 60 bucks on the bag-o-nails. I just want to see which ones i could do without actually dropping a day's pay.

White:

Yellow:

Green:

Blue:

Red:

thanks men

MEAT :flame to hell with the devil

I would add that I have not yet found any store bought crs or hrs 1/4 rod that is as tough as the IM yellow/blue material. I remember after doing 5 and 1/2" of store bought stock, I was really suprised how hard the IM blue was in comparison.

White: Harder 3/16" stock

Green: Same as above except cut an inch shorter

Yellow: Timber Ties are just below. Tough 1/4" stock(maybe CR or a carbon steel)

Blue: Some varieties of 60D nails. Same stock mentioned for yellow except cut to 6"

Red: McMaster-Carr .316" W-1 drill rod stock. (These will cost about the same as Reds and they're not cut.), Zinc-plated 5/16" stock, zinc-plated 1/4" square cut to 6".

Unless you stick with Timber Ties, 40D's, 60D's, and non-exotic stock; you'll probably pay just as much if not more on other stuff as you would for IM stock. Don't order the bag o' nails, go to the last page of products for specialized grip tools and order white - blue in bundles of 50 and Reds in 25's. Grade 5's cost more per bend than white - blue and Grade 8's cost more than Reds.

Hey guys, thanks for your well-thought replies! :D

So basically, if i can bend any 60D then i can most likely bend a blue?

MEAT

Meatloaf,

I have ran into a few, very few, 60Ds, that are easier than an IM blue. In almost every instance any common 60D you find will be equal or tougher than an IM Blue. Now a grade 5 bolt, is much tougher than a 60D or a blue no doubt about it!! :rock

well, i can easily bend a 5/16th by 6" galvanized carriage bolt, but im having a helluva time kinking a 5/16" by 6" zinc plated hex bolt (which i think is a grade 5 bolt). The 60Ds that i have are shiny steel, and they are VERY hard. I doubt that a blue nail could be any harder. but not that I would know... :ohmy

nobody at home depot knows what the hell a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt is, but i'm assuming a grade 5 is the 5/16" by 6" zinc plated hex bolt and the grade 8 is the 3/8" by 6 or 8 inches zinc plated hex bolt. Right? Wrong? Please help!

MEAT

The grade refers to its strength, not thickness. They come in different sizes, but each one has its own properties. Here are my experiences with the 6" long, 1/4" diameter bolts:

Grade 2: easy as a yellow. You can melt these.

Grade 5: harder than a 60d, and much harder than a blue. These are a little springy.

Grade 8: a little easier than the red I'm told. Very tough and very springy.

thanks, Clay :D

Well, these bolts i have are probably grade 8 cause they are HORRIBLE. I'll just concentrate on the 60Ds for now. They are hard enough.

Thanks, men, for your advice :rock

MEAT

Meat,

The grade 5 will have 3 lines on the bolt head, the grade 8 5 lines, the grade 2 and below no lines!

Mike

Also, the grade 8 is a gold/brass color.

Hardware store workers often don't have a clue. If it doesn't have 3 lines it's not a grade 5 as Dave and I found.

well these bolts i have here are NOT grade 2s. I can bend a really hard shiny 60D and this bolt aint budging. I don't see any lines (i don't know where they are supposed to be) but this thing is a killer. eh whatever...

Meat, I have just recently found some CRS that is also labeled "weld steel." I bought some of this and cut it down to 6" and in my opinion it was at least as hard as the IM Blue. Very, very close if not even a bit harder. If you can't find any and you're interested, I'll send you some. Just let me know.

Meat, when most people talk about a grade 2 bolt they are refering to a 1/4 inch thick hex bolt without the 3 or 5 line markings on the top of the head to indicate a grade 5 or grade 8. The bolt you are talking about is probably a 5/16 inch thick grade 2 hex bolt in which case it is siginificantly more difficult than the grade 2's (1/4 inch) most people are referring to.

i finally found a grade 5 bolt...with 3 lines on the head....and it's got a good kink...im gonna rest a few minutes and finish off the S.O.B.

MEAT

Some info I came across last night when searching for graded bolts out here in Australia.

The closest metric equivalent of a 1/4" x 6" grade 2 is an M6 x 150mm metric 4.6 bolt

The closest metric equivalent of a 1/4" x 6 grade 5 is an M6 x 150mm metric 8.8

You can get the grade 5 and 8 bolts out here but they only sell the grade 8 s over 5/16" and i doubt i'll ever bend those!!

i'm going to track down some bolts this week and see how i go

biggest nails I can find are 150mm x 5.6mm