Square Stock

ishred

I went to home depot today to pick up more bars. I grabbed some square stock too.

came home, bent a few 5" 3/16th round....then cut a 6.5" square 3/16th.

Way harder than the round. I also noticed that it bent at the corner and not the flat part. Is this what normally happens and is that why the square is so much harder?? Tomorrow I will try for 6"'s and less.

Also, those timber ties everyone is talking about....are they 60d Spiral??? The guy looked at me like I was nuts at home depot.

I think so. My Dad had those to build log homes. He had 8" 6" and 5" I believe. I don't live near him now so I have to go to Home Depot also to find some. Lowes didn't have any, or at least I didn't see them. We just called them 8" spiral etc. I never though about bending them :blink

To answer your questions about square stock.

Yes, it always seems to bend on the corner. For me at least.

The square stock is harder because it's more steel. If you take a cross section of 3/16" round and a cross section of 3/16" square, you see that there's more steel to bend through in the form of the corners.

And the timber ties, yes they're a 60D spiral. The boxes I have say "Hot Galv Timber Tie" and then "60D 6"" underneath. If you find them, you'll know them when you see them.

I might wait until you're bending 3/16" square stock through a couple more workouts before you tackle the timber ties. Your hands and wrists need time to heal. Goodluck with the bending

:angry: I was looking for timber ties (and of course, nobody at home depot knows what the hell they are) and i can't find them. What section are they in? Lumber? Nails? How thick are they supposed to be? I also say an 8" long spiral spike that looked 3/8" thick. I hid in a corner and tried to bend it, but there was no freaking way. If THAT'S what a timber tie is, i'm gonna shoot myself cause that's HUGE.

I feel bad cause i also grabbed a 1/4" by 6" galvanized bolt as well and a 5/16" by 6" bold and destroyed em both (hiding in the ladder section....). I feel bad cause i just grabbed em and bent them and then left them there! :blush i also found a 4" by 1/4" blot and bent it. Shortest bend of my life (of anything near that size....i work construction, so i am always grabbing those 3 1/2" or 4" long 16D nails and bending them for fun)

MEAT

hey meat, i don't that that those are the timber ties.....everyone seems to recommend a 30lb bucket of tt's to just bend away with and those can't possibly be them.

Where does everyone else get there tt's from?

For fun, i cut a 6" piece of the square stock and killed it. My hands now officially need a day off :dry

"How thick are they supposed to be? I also say an 8" long spiral spike that looked 3/8" thick. "

If that store has 'em the timber ties are probably right next to these spikes. Usually they are in a box, or crate and are covered up though and not out in the open like 60Ds or spikes. You have to look pretty carefully at the labels on the boxes there...

Edited by AP

The boxes I have say "Hot Galv Timber Tie" and then "60D 6"" underneath. If you find them, you'll know them when you see them.

I feel strange quoting myself in the same post, but there you go. That's what I'd look for, a 6" nail, not an 8" spike.

As far a finding 30 lb buckets of them, I've had no luck. The Lowes near me only has 5 lb boxes of them. 5lbs doesn't sound like much when compared to a 30lb bucket, but it'll still take you some time to go through 5-10lbs.

I finally got mine today. They are a little too easy but good to learn technique and warmup with. The 1/4x7"CRS is much more difficult but getting easier for me. Still can't budge a real 60D. I'm going to try different brands. I guess the next step would be the hot galvanized coating like on the timber ties.......the ones I have are the slick finish whatever that is.

Mike,

Why do those two nails look completely different? Different coating/number of twists/etc? Am I missing something?

That was exactly the point of the photo. Those, in theory, are identical. Both from Lowe's, both same SKU # on the box, etc...but one is like 8 twists and the other is like 5. The 5 twists bend @ ~190# but the 8 twists bend @ ~ 290! That is the same as most of my 60d. The point is, get em, and test em with a loading pin or something. You just can't tell by looking or saying less twists is harder or whatever. I've heard of some 5s that are super tough and I found a single 12twist on the shelf that was like coat hanger....