St.louis/pro Am Strongman /hercules Hold

Tom of Iowa2

Just some news for those of you that keep track of strongman.

Pros and amteurs compete together.Same weights on events.

Just spoke to Josh Biggers trainer -who just spoke with Josh.

Last event of Day 1.Hercules hold.

1st Josh Bigger 51 seconds

2nd Don Pope 50 seconds

3rd Phil Pfister 49seconds

4th Odd Haugen 46 seconds

I don't know how the rest of the field did.I think the times dropped significantly after odd?,,,may be not.

Thats about all I know.He has never done the Hercules before nor did he do any grip specific training.This was his first strongman contest.

Kirk?Nowack actually did 50 seconds on the Hercules hold also.Perhaps tied with Pope.

Bigger did the 800# yoke walk in 19 seconds after stumbling and losing his balance dropping it and then picking it back up.He felt this cost him about 6 seconds or so.I guess 19 seconds still beat some of the other pros-such as Marunde.

Chad Smith won the event in 12 seconds.

It is quite impressive to see him beat Phfister and Odd in a grip event. Hope to see more of this guy.

OK i just got off the phone with my cousin travis who competeted in this contest, this is what he told me

Amateur Placings

1st-Van Hatfield

2nd-Jim ???

3rd-Travis Ortmayer

He didn't tell me any specifics of grip events but he told me about some of the other ones.

Max log-Van Hatfield won the amateurs with 360 and almost locked out 415, Jon Anderson won the pros with 380.

I will talk to him alittle more and i will try to post some more specifics.

I just talked to Sam McMahon. He said he got 14th. He didn't really say much about the other placings. He mentioned that if Van was competing with the pros he probably would have beat all of them. He said his 415 log was close and he also said the Van squated 650 for 16. More to come later.

Kirit won in the pro class. Marunde, Odd, and Pfister filled in the oter placings for the top 5. I know Karl Gillingham got 4th.

Sounds like Josh made a big impression in his first contest and Van Hatfield is a monster! Fill us in on the details when they become available! Thanks.

I was talking with Brian Schoonveld the other night and have some info for all the Schoonie fans out there. Brian said he was a tester at this contest and before the log lift started he hit a 340 log for 2x5. He also mentioned that he did five hercules holds. He started off at 35 secs and went up to a 50 sec hold on his last attempt. I have a feeling next year or when ever he gets into strongman again that a lot of people will be very surprised with his new found strength.

Matt, where did he find it?

How strong was he before?

When i talked to my cousin he said that all the pros were very impressed with the amateurs. He says that van hatfield is a monster, people are saying it won't be too long before he is in the wsm show.

Yes Van Hatfield is a monster! :rock

Was no suprise he won OR that he beat most of the Pros.

A witness told me in the first part of the Medly that 'he's NEVER seen anyone move 285 as fast as Josh"this person repeating this story IS a TOP pro strongman.That has competed in WSM......

Josh ran out of Gas on that medley(asthma?)but was quick with the tire also.

He sucks at overhead presses.No suprise there.Only a 280 log and 0 reps on the Viking press.....but there were a LOT of 0 reps on the Viking press,,,,including some pros.

Was 189'ft on the 'Stone circle'-I hear he WAS the reason they added 100# to the event.He ran with it in a warm up and THEN they put the 100# plate on it.He used no belt and just wore those neoprene things on his knees and elbows- the Gillinghams sell.Rheband?

I was suprised Josh bombed on the squat...but he did.Belt and Neoprene wraps only.

Over all I heard Josh thought his performance 'sucked'and that he just needs to be stronger.He thinks a 7 second Yoke is possible,with 800+...now that he's seen what its all about.

He said if he knew his time during the Hercules hold?on the Hercules hold he'd have held it for an even 60 seconds.

I also understand he will not compete again until he can press a 400# log.

There are a LOT af amateurs to look foreward to... :bow:bow:bow

IMO... other that the TOP guys...Pro is more of a just a word than an indication of one's ability......

Sort of a personal question i guess. Why did Josh decide to do his first strongman comp. at one of the biggest comps of the year?

He seems like he is freaky strong, especially with grip. I think most guys overhead press lags behind most of their other stuff.

Did he like the strongman atmosphere/experience/contest? Does he plan on taking up strongman? He is allready way ahead of the guys in the grip department.

Bill he apparntly found it training powerlifting with Ed Coan and not training strongman events. I'm not sure how strong he was before. His upper body was always strong and now his legs and back are catching up.