Plate-loaded Crush Machines

ianders1

I guess this was off-topic from another post, so I'll repost here:

I love using my plate-loaded Squeezer and I think I want to get one of these (NYB Hand Grip Machine), too.

I have a few questions about it:

1. What is the biggest Oly plate that fits on it?

2. I assume it doesn't have the "pinch" problem?

3. How hard is 150lbs on it? I mean once I can close the #2 (I know I'm lame ), will I have outgrown it? I know it's use would be limited for holds/negatives, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more interested in doing a heavy set or sets of 6-10 reps on it. I just don't want to buy something that I'll be able to max out in a few months.

Also, how does this compare to Tetting's Beef Builder (LINK) and IronMind/PDA's grip machines?

Never tried the Tetting or NYB. I have the IM machine, it is HEAVY duty. Very well made.

I would compare the 2 from NYB and Weightlifters by their respective

spindle lengths. Or where you mount the plates. Notice that NYBs' states

theirs' holds up to 150 lbs. That is 6 standard 25 lb. plates. Estimating from

the pics of the NYB and after measuring the thickness of a 25 lb., I would

estimate the spindle to be about 7 inches tall.

The Weightlifters machine states it has a 14 inch spindle. Over twice

the weight capacity of NYBs. 150 lbs. will not take you long to surpass

using 2 hands, (but 150 makes for a fairly decent 1 hand workout)......

For my money, I would get the Weightlifters model. For one thing,

it is Tetting built so you know it is sturdy and good quality. Plus you

have all the weight capacity you will ever need. 350 plus poundage ;)

I guess also, it depends on how much you want to spend $ wise

Never tried the Tetting or NYB. I have the IM machine, it is HEAVY duty. Very well made.

Same here. I have the IM. 45 Olympic plates fit no problem. Nice range of

motion. I have a cheaper one, similiar to the NYB. It had a 1inch pin, cramming

200 pounds on it was a pain and the range of motion was much less

than the IM.

T

Thanks guys - I was leaning towards the IM or Tetting model, I just wanted some advice from guys that have them or have used them. Now I've just got to save up a little $$$ to get one!

I have always told grip beginners to get the NYB machine. It's great for guys just starting out in grip training and it's just a simple plate-loader.

However, if you're worried out maxing out on it; then get something else. The max weight is 150 pounds on the NYB... if you have a few thin 25# plates like I do then you can squeeze another 25# plate on it and go with 175. :tongue

I'll be getting the Tetting model soon, so I'll have a better comparison for you later! :)

I'm sure the NYB model works well, as Sybersnott stated, but the Tetting model can be loaded to 300+, rather than 150-175 which will satisfy your gripping needs as you get brutally strong.

I've decided to get a Tetting machine in the next few weeks. I just hope 300+ lbs. is enough ;)

I've decided to get a Tetting machine in the next few weeks. I just hope 300+ lbs. is enough 

I would say 300 and more ;) ... you can always tack on 2 short

load pins to the outside of the frame legs right below the

finger handle for additional plates if need be.

:) I have the New York one and it is good enough for a beginner as Sybernott suggests especially if you work one hand at a time. After viewing the Beef Builder though I am thinking of getting it also since the price is right . Is working with a gripper better in some ways than using a plate-loading machine for developing the crush? I have read where just working with the grippers consistently would do the job. Just curious as to what the Masters say.

• 4 weeks later...
:D Question between the two versions the Tetting model and the IM model which do you think is the better machine? Also with the IM model can you use "standard plates" on it without them moving around much as you do the lift? I have the NYB one and it drags a bit when you do the exercise on it don't know if all do it but mine does. Wondering if the Tetting model and IM model move smoothly when you do the exercise? Thanks.

Python,

I have the IM model It only takes Olympic Holed plates. It operates smooooth.

The top bar is semi-round so you get an extended range with the bottom bar.

It is Heavily built.

T

:D Question between the two versions the Tetting model and the IM model which do you think is the better machine? Also with the IM model can you use "standard plates" on it without them moving around much as you do the lift? I have the NYB one and it drags a bit when you do the exercise on it don't know if all do it but mine does. Wondering if the Tetting model and IM model move smoothly when you do the exercise? Thanks.

You could cut off the bar and attach a steel tray.

I think both gripper and machine builds alot of crushing grip,but I'd prefer grippers since it takes very small space and you don't need buy any plates.

This past Saturday, I was able to do 200 pounds on my old NYB grip machine.

I finally bought enough thin 25 pound standard plates to do this and I was able to complete some one-handed holds on it! Wow, it's intense - and I could do some 100 pound reps on it and that gave one hellva pump to my forearms!!

NOW BEFORE ANYONE CLAIMS RULE #5, I should mention that I'll have my friend take some pics ASAP and I'll post them here in the gallery. :D

PDA fills the gaps. Their claim to fame is offering equipment that is not offered by anybody else.

They don't make equipment that is readily available elsewhere.

-HH

• 2 weeks later...

I have the beef builders grip machine with the olympic spindle.I have put 100 lb. oly plates on it no problem.I believe it could hold at least five 100lb. plates for anyone strong enough.I had the nybb grip m. it could not hold 45's(not wide enough).It was a poor design in my opinion.

I also have the Beef Builder grip machine, as far as outgrowing the 150 pounds too fast, I wouldnt count on it. I can no-set close the #2s but can only lift 100 Ibs on the grip machine.

I guess this was off-topic from another post, so I'll repost here:

I love using my plate-loaded Squeezer and I think I want to get one of these (NYB Hand Grip Machine), too.

I have a few questions about it:

1. What is the biggest Oly plate that fits on it?

2. I assume it doesn't have the "pinch" problem?

3. How hard is 150lbs on it? I mean once I can close the #2 (I know I'm lame ), will I have outgrown it? I know it's use would be limited for holds/negatives, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more interested in doing a heavy set or sets of 6-10 reps on it. I just don't want to buy something that I'll be able to max out in a few months.

Also, how does this compare to Tetting's Beef Builder (LINK) and IronMind/PDA's grip machines?

I do not think that is Tettings grip machine. I know he supplies BB with grippers but he makes a whole better quality machine then that one pictured and it cost over $300.00., and you can put over 400# on it :yikes