40d's

mossman

hey, im fairly new to grip, especially to bending. I have already seen benders website. I really wasnt sure what to start with, so i picked some 40D's. can anyone tell me where about these rank? am i starting too high? I already bent one all the way, and one half way, no brace, but damn it was tough.

That's good, most guys I know can't get a 40d without some practice.

You may want to get some 3/16 HRS as well it's easier and better for warmups.

Also get some 1/4 HRS. If you go with HRS/CRS don't forget some bolt cutters.

Where did you get the 40d's? They are tough to find.

-HH

Try to find some of the easy timberties too. The 30lb bucket around $32.00 here in NC. A good nail to start on and then start cutting them down. Good cheap bending material, can't beat the price.

At a good home depot in the nails section, there should at least be ONE big box of 60ds and another big (25 or 50lb) box of 40ds. I just grabbed a couple out of each box

MEAT

That's good, most guys I know can't get a 40d without some practice.

You may want to get some 3/16 HRS as well it's easier and better for warmups.

Also get some 1/4 HRS. If you go with HRS/CRS don't forget some bolt cutters.

Where did you get the 40d's? They are tough to find.

-HH

Tru-Value has 40d commons in a bin, sold by the pound. (As well as most other sizes)

If you're bending 40D's now you may want to buy some 60D's. I would say that a 40D is about a yellow, at least for my brothers, I suppose ypure 40D's could be differant though.

for me, i had a tough time finding HRS.....I already tried a 60D, just for the hell of it, and i can say that is way out of my league...im thinking of the Bag-O-Nails. As for my 40D's i got mine at Raby's for about 3 bucks a pound. Quite a few nails for that price. for my b-day a friend gave me 12 inch spikes :blink anyone on here know a good progression for those? im taking a few months to play with the sledge, but eventually in the summer i want to bend a 60 or a grade 5 carriage bolt like on benders website

I want to try bending also and don't know where to start. I can't bend anything I've tried. Where would you find HRS?

GarytheDino Posted on May 3 2004, 05:56 AM

I want to try bending also and don't know where to start. I can't bend anything I've tried. Where would you find HRS?

Gary,

Just about any home improvement store will have hot rolled steel (HRS) in 3' lengths. Just use a bolt cutter, hacksaw, or other cutting implement to cut to size and then bend away!

3/16" is a good place to start to start as you learn technique, keep cuting pieces shorter then graduate to timber ties. Bender's site is a wealth of information for new benders.

Edited by GordonV

Thanks man, I didn't realize they had it.

Could you tell me more about timberties? I know nothing. Do they come in different sizes?

I just went there and found the progression I was looking for. I didn't see that section before. That is just what I was looking for.

thanks

gary, i also just started, and i found timber ties in 6, 8 and 12 inches......i started at 6, and they are pretty easy. give them a try, they are at most hardware stores

mossman Posted on May 3 2004, 03:27 PM

gary, i also just started, and i found timber ties in 6, 8 and 12 inches......i started at 6, and they are pretty easy. give them a try, they are at most hardware stores

The only size I have ever seen is 6". A timber tie is a galvanized, spiral shanked, 60d nail. HD & Lowes carry them in 5# and 35# quantities. There are several different varities based on the number of twists in the nail but I have only been able to find the 8 twist variety. The box or pail will say "hot galv timber tie, 60d 6"."

well the box i saw today said that, but when i asked for one the guy handed me a spike that was ten inches....i looked along the shelve and he had 10, 8, and 6....i made a mistake when i said 12 earlier.

wait when you say spirl shanked 60D....then how come when they are the same size and thickness of a 60, does that mean they are the same difficulty?

Mossman, I can't speak to what you were told/given by one of those orange aproned "geniuses" (every store has a couple really good guys, and a whole lot of…never mind I am getting off track).

When you see Timber Tie or TT mentioned here, the poster is referring to the 6" spiral shanked 60d. TTs like most other bending metal vary in strength from manufacturer to manufacturer and from batch to batch. Most TTs fall in a range of difficulty anywhere from a little easier than a IM yellow to a little tougher than a IM blue.

Timber ties are quite a bit easier than bending a true 60d nail. A true 60d is 1/4" solid, 6" long, a TT on the other hand has less metal in it due to the twist and is easier for that reason.

Best of luck!

Some TT's are as tough as 60d's and some are tougher. They are all over the map.

I had some 8 twists TT's that were a little easier than a 40d but I just got some that are 4-5 twists and as hard as a 60d

-HH

thanks for the info about the twisting....i was really confused....as for the mental giant in the apron.,...yes i can say i have met a few of those

can any one tell me how to tell how many twists on a timber tie?

Lay it on the table. Then start at the head and count each twist as you move in a straight line towards the point. I hope that makes sense. It is easier to show than to tell. :)

• 2 weeks later...

now i have another question in relation to these.....i just found a technique that clicked really well, and i am bending TT's nearly everyday, and bending 40's alot too. The 40's are hard, due to length, but are they much stronger than a TT? Someone said i shouldn't waste my time on short bends, and find something to build honest wrist strength. if the bend is so much harder, isnt it still building strength? help, please?

P.S.-also, i managed to kink a 60, can someone tell me a good progression for these, i wasa thinking 1/4'' HRS, starting at 7'' and cutting down.

40d's are good and not that short. I use 'em cause there cheap and good for volume.

TT's like other things are all over the place. I've had some easier than 40d's and I have a box that are as tough or tougher than most 60d's.

HRS is a good way to progress but it's more expensive than nails.

-HH

thanks HH, the TT's i have are much easier than 40's, and the 40's are incredibly difficult for me. steel is wierd in how it varies. :blink