Possible New Contest

John Beatty

Guys-

would anyone be interested in a grip contest run the same day as the Snowman Challenge 2005 next Jan. Would probably go with 5 of the events listed below, would be good exposure as we had close to 200 spectators for the Snowman this year & we'll be moving to a bigger venue next year. Might run it as an alternating deal to keep the crowd interested - one Strongman, one grip & so on. A just for kicks event list:

3" "Crusher" for max

8 lb Bomb for time with 50 lbs attached

some form of bending

some form of tearing - cards or phone books

Inch lift - timed for those that get lockout

max one hand dead - thick bar or ?

"jug" for max

Any suggestions ?

Would turn all entry fees into cash prizes, plus anything I can drum up from sponsors. Probably no more than 12 spots the first year. Let me know.

I would consider anything. Where would it be held?

-Jedd-

Champaign, IL

It isn't out of the question, by any means. I enjoy traveling to contests. It'd be nice to know people there, though, that's for sure. How definite is it?

-Jedd-

Sounds like a great idea, John!

I'd say about 75% right now. I'll throw it out to some sponsors & see what the response here is like & go from there. I'd want to have $500 in cash & prizes for 1st to make it worthwhile for you guys, then maybe $300 for 2nd & down to 5th. Plus goodie bags, so we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. That's a driveable distance. For events I'd say 5 ought to be enough.

Max bend

Bomb for time

Jug lift for max weight

Max cards torn (could get expensive to run, but would be an awesome even

3" Crusher

That'd keep things well rounded for all around lower arm strength.

Sounds cool. Having the events alternating coudl get funky with people who would want to compete in both the strongman and in the grip contest.

I know, but if I split the shows, I'll be running stuff from 9am to probably close to 8-9 pm. I'm worn out enough by the end of running & competing in the strongman show. Plus I'd like to give the grip guys more exposure. It would be tough for the guys that wanted to do both.

For those of you who have never attended John's show, there is a wonderful sense of fun about it, and its popularity is blossoming- Wendl's was overflowing this year with spectators, so it is time for a change of location.

John goes through a major workout just setting things up! Then competes! Then has to clear all his equipment. He is motivated more from love of the sport than from profit, believe me.

Definitely....lol. I made a whopping $75 after all expenses last year. For a few hundred hours of work, I probably made at least 5-6 cents per hour. Thanks, Joe, I do love running the show. One day I'll learn not to compete, too :blink .

John a few hundred years ago that would have been a nice amount of money. I hope to come down and compete in the grip contest and if I'm strong enough the strongman show too.