Anyone Tried This?

nagual

I train alot using isometrics, and do it by holding 3 positions in any given movement with as much weight as I can for as long as I can, usually around 10 seconds. The positions are usually top, middle and bottom, to get strength increases throughout the movement. I find it to give substantial strength gains quickly, and is also a time-efficient workout.

Since grippers only have the maximum overload capacity in a closed position, I've been thinking about complementing the grip training with a plateloaded machine or similar. The thing is, those machines are not cheap, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to effectively overload the sweep in the above mentioned fashion, or just general thoughts on the subject?

(One interesting thing is, that before training with grippers, my strongest range was at the beginning of the sweep, but now my strength is pretty much equal.)

Edited by nagual

I try to use your principle in training grippers. No set attempts on a gripper you can't close is a good wide range isometric. Filed grippers will work a different position also.

I've been thinking about complementing the grip training with a plateloaded machine or similar. The thing is, those machines are not cheap

For the price of a night out on the town, you can afford a good grip machine.

Many to choose from, I suggest the NYB grip machine. Simple to use and even though the max weight is 150 pounds - still good for what you need it to do.

NYB Hand Grip Machine

Heh, my night out's tend to be a bit cheaper, considering I would have to pay for shipping etc ;)

But thx, I'll check around some more and see if I can find a cheap one closer to home.

FREE FREIGHT

nagual - Did you miss this? Also, if you live in Atlanta like Snott, that's about how much a night out is - at least if you've got a date.

Snott - I love using my plate-loaded Squeezer and I think I want to get one of these, too.

I see you've been saying good things about this machine for quite a while. As such, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. What is the biggest Oly plate that fits on it?

2. I assume it doesn't have the "pinch" problem?

3. How hard is 150lbs on it? I mean once I can close the #2 (I know I'm lame :)), will I have outgrown it? I know it's use would be limited for holds/negatives, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more interested in doing a heavy set or sets of 6-10 reps on it. I just don't want to buy something that I'll be able to max out in a few months.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

All - how does this compare to Tetting's Beef Builder (LINK) grip machine? I only ask because they're so similar in price and all...

Edited by ianders1

I made myself one....It looks like sh*t and devaluates my property (possible exageration) but its considerably effective. I think I'll post a pic eventually.

Actually, it says:

FREE FREIGHT

ONLY WITHIN CONTINENTAL USA

Maybe my dazzling english confused you, but I live in Sweden so.. :cool

And we generally go dutch on the tab over here so... :stuart

I like the guy in ad though. Machismo! I just miss the flashing neon signs saying "Blue Oyster Club" :whistel

Edited by nagual

If you live in Sweden, do like Brookfield does in MOHS and build your own!

Of course, you'll haffta find the materials and then get a welder to weld it all together - still you'd have a simple plate-loaded grip machine that you can use! :D

Yup. Actually thinking about it. Feels like measuring progression would be much easier with a plateloaded thingy.

Wish I was more handy (read: not lazy). :tongue

nagual---

I also believe that variable angle isometrics is an excellent complement to other forms of gripper training.

Cheap way to go:

1) Buy 2 grippers, one you can close for a few reps and one you use as a target (i.e. one you can't close, say one you can squeeze to parallel).

2) Make 3 small "blocks" or "rods" that you insert between the handles with your free hand.

3) Do isometrics starting with the fully closed position, then with increasingly larger blocks, and finally with the largest block that approximates a nearly fully opened position. Perform these sets using the "easy" gripper. Judge for yourself how much intensity, duration of isometric holds, etc. using standard principles of safe and productive training.

4) Infrequently, say once a week, try to close your target gripper.

IMO, this kind of training could be beneficial for helping to develop max grip strength throughout the squeezing range.

Clearly, train wisely and patiently.

That's some good ideas, 3djim!

Using the blocks I could perform isometrics, and time them, and then use increasingly smaller blocks as I get stronger. A plateloaded would still obviously be better, since I can overload the different angles more effectively, but this is a good approximation.

I currently have the 130RB, 210RB and 260RB. I'm a couple of mm away from closing the 210, so I could use the 260 in this fashion.

:tongue