First Bolt Goes Down

Octogen

After bending my first proper nail a few days ago i've been eyeing off some 6" x 1/4" bolts I bought on my first trip to the hardware store.

Tonight while taking a break from packing for a mountain bike trip I decided to try and do a little bending

After a couple of easy warm up bends I managed to take down one bolt and then a few minutes later another one!

A few weeks ago these might as well have been truck axles cause I couldn't get them to move at all.

I don't know how tough they are but I guess they would still be softer than a grade 2 since they don't have any grade markings.

Thanks to all the other benders on here for your training advice and inspirational bends to aim for you guys rock!!!! :bow

Congratulations! Were they hex head bolts? If so, they were probably grade 2. The only bolts I have found that are easier are carriage bolts with their domed heads, or various fully threaded bolts.

A 6" hex head grade 2 is a very respectable bend. I have just recently started bending these, and I still cannot do it every time. Considering you just started bending, your strength is very impressive! Keep it up! :mosher

Thanks Chris

The bolts have hex heads and the last inch is threaded. They may be grade 2s but its hard to know out here, things seem to be rated differently and it is hard to draw direct comparisons with US stock.

Perhaps one of the other Aussie benders knows where they fit into the pecking order. (got the from bunnings)

Well done,

Yes I have done those (from Bunnings). They are exactly the same strength as the 1/4'' stock I use and (with the head cut off) also very similar to the IM 1/4'' stock. In other words, that bolt would be very close to an IM blue.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Sorry correction. I just measured mine and they are 6.9 mm in diametre. The 1/4'' ones are considerably easier. Measure the diametre carefully and see what you come up with.

I haven't tried an IM nails yet because the cost of buying them plus getting them shipped out here is ludicrous (something about steel being heavy :D )

Thats why I keep trying to figure out where my nails and stuff sit in relation to the graded bolts or like 40d and 60d nails.

Congratulations on your new PR!

Hi Don... I've bought some 6" x 1/4" bolts from Bunnings, two differents brands, and both were a bit harder than an IM green. Maybe the ones you got are stronger?

I ended up buying some of the 1/4" steel rod from Bunnings and it's pretty soft... I found I had to cut it an inch shorter to get even close to the IM nails - i.e 6" to get close to a yellow, and 5" to get close to a blue.

Hey Mikael - did you get any of the 8mm rod from Bunnings? How does that rate?

Yes, I got their 8 mm galvanised and HRS. I tried them both at 7''. After my attemps both bars were straight (well almost) as an arrow. Both steels are much harder at 7'' than is a 5 1/2'' 270k challenge bar. I agree on their 1/4'' HRS stock being about an inch weaker than IM's 1/4'' stock. I am using a different 1/4'' stock that only cost me a third of the Bunning's stuff and is the same strength as IM's 1/4''.