What Is Harder To Dl? "the Inch" Db

thorfinn

Just curious...

My somewhat educated guess is the 175lb 2.4" rolling thick bar.

Are these comparable? And would you think that training on either would carry-over to the other? Sounds logical to me but, I have not been there.

-Keith-

Inch by far. I've done 195 on the RT & have only taken the 154 Inch to my knees. Have only cracked the 172 off the ground (very briefly).

This has been talked about a few times. I think it was decided you would need to pull anywhere between 210 and 230 on the RT to lift the Inch.

Hey John, progress! By the 2005 Snowman you WILL be deadlifting the 172! Or, remember our deal- the bells revert to me and I keep the money :D

Inch. I've pulled 175 on the RT and never even come close to breaking the Inch off the floor.

I have gotten 215 on a old RT and 180 on my new one. Like Jeff said I too have never even broke the damn thing off the floor.

Inch. I think this is gonna be unanimous.....

I would say the Inch, but, if you are pulling the rolling dumbbell from floor height like the Inch, then it may be a different story......

He said 2.4" rolling bar, so it'd be tougher than a rolling thunder.

In this hypothetical (since there is no standard 2.4" rolling thunder) I'd say the rolling bar would be harder. Most people can pick up more on a 2" dumbell than on the RT right? But of course it depends on how well it rolls. If you can lift 175 on some homemade rolling thingie fuggetaboudit, you probably have a long way to go before the inch unless it spins like greased lightning...

I'd say the Inch is harder.

I've got some 2.5" rolling handles that spin on greased bearings (close to greased lightning, but not quite!) and my PR in lifting weight with that is 166lbs, yet I pulled 202lbs on a new RT in a recent contest. I think the handle I've got (and I've got several to sell) is a great way to train to lift the Inch because this handle rolls very well.

I've got some 2.5" rolling handles that spin on greased bearings (close to greased lightning, but not quite!) and my PR in lifting weight with that is 166lbs,

I think your handles with 172lbs will be HARDER than the inch.

I would say the Inch, but, if you are pulling the rolling dumbbell from floor height like the Inch, then it may be a different story......

Is the fact that you lift the Inch from floor height what makes it so much harder than 172 on a the RT? I've never tried an Inch so I'm just asking, not doubting anyone. I just don't understand why rotation is such a big deal if a person could handle the rotation on a RT with 172 why not the Inch? Does it really rotate that much more? As I said I've never tried one so I'm just asking.

is there anyone in so calif with an inch...i wouldent mind just trying one????or anywere there is one in so cal?

jad,

If you place the Inch on the tailgate of a truck- or something at that height, then pick it off while standing erect, the Inch will of course be against your thigh, thus negating its tendency to rotate.

Many can hold the Inch in this position, but cannot get it to this position from the ground.

The rotation is a huge factor.

Just a finger's pressure to stop rotation can be significant.

I think if you were pulling 172 from below your feet on the RT it still wouldn't be as hard as the inch. I will have to do some experimenting with this.

I have been edumecated. Thanks...

Clay, one day I would like to build something that you are describing or just buy one of yours. $$ is a bit low right now though. Could you PM me a price though?

Could the placement of the weight be a factor in difficulty? Say the Inch were designed as a kettlebell. To me it would be easier. As in the roll factor may not be as high.??? One does not fight balancing???

How about the 2.4" rolling handle...If the weight were to the sides rather than directly under the handle. Would that be harder?

-Keith-

I think if you were pulling 172 from below your feet on the RT it still wouldn't be as hard as the inch. I will have to do some experimenting with this.

A rolling thunder handle is light years away from the inch but a ball bearing 2 1/2'' handle is VERY close or harder than the inch,especially if you had to lift it from the floor.

I think if you had a frictionless* rotating handle the same thickness as the inch and the same type of surface to grip, it would be equally difficult. Since all rotating handles have some friction, they should be easier, although a greased bearing one like Clay described should be close.

*when I say frictionless handle, I mean frictionless between the inner and outer sleeves, not between the outer sleeve and your hand!

jad,

If you place the Inch on the tailgate of a truck- or something at that height, then pick it off while standing erect, the Inch will of course be against your thigh, thus negating its tendency to rotate.

Many can hold the Inch in this position, but cannot get it to this position from the ground.

Interesting...thanks Roark