How Does The G8 Compare To The Red Nail?

Clay Edgin

I got a dozen 6" G8 bolts from Thaibox today (thanks again Eric!) and am going to give one a shot tonight. I understand that they are pretty springy and tough so I am not going to give it any mercy.

I noticed on the Gripboard records list that all the people who have bent the G8 bolt have also bent the IM red nail now, so I wondered how you folks would compare the two. I know that the red nail is harder but am interested in hearing your experiences in bending them.

The countless 8's I've gone through felt easier than the red. :whistel

Seriously, good luck with them, give them no mercy. Those little bastards have some serious attitude. DESTROY! :rock

Rob F. told me that once you bend a grade 8 the red is not far behind. So far he seems to be right.

Clay, when I finally got a grade 8 I believe I was then at the point where I could finish off a Red. But the first portion of the bend on a Red is considerably harder than a grade 8. I would guess it's atleast 10% more difficult on the initial bend. This was my experience anyways. Also, the Red isn't quite as springy as an 8.

Clay,

Even though a Grade 8 bolt is much springier than a Red, the Red just fights the whole way through. I'm a big believer in bending as fast as I can so as to keep the middle hot and therefore make it easier. Remember, the Grade 8 is only 1/4" in diameter, so if you bend it faster it gets a lot easier, in my opinion. I had to bend thicker steel to bridge the gap between the Grade 8 and the Red. Once you get a Grade 8, buy some 19/64" drill rod from Mcmaster-Carr. If you can bend a 6" length of this, the Red will pretty much be yours.

Clay, when I finally got a grade 8 I believe I was then at the point where I could finish off a Red.

I worded this poorly. My meaning was that once I could bend a grade 8, I had the strength to handle the crushdown portion of a Red nail. But keep in mind that with the Red, I found the initial stage of the bend to be the most difficult for me.

And great advice, David!

Thanks for your opinions on this guys. After slightly agitating the G8 enough to warp it, I cheat-kinked it over a barbell to about 45 degrees and tried crushing it down from there, but it would flex and not bend!