Hex Block Weight Question

Davekline

I have been toying with the idea of making a few hex block weights. What is the best hack saw blade to use for this task? How long does it take to cut through the handle? If you cut both hexes off, do they usually weigh about the same?

I have been toying with the idea of making a few hex block weights. What is the best hack saw blade to use for this task? How long does it take to cut through the handle? If you cut both hexes off, do they usually weigh about the same?

An 18T blade works the best. (18 teeth per inch) The brand Nicholson is a good

one. Make sure the teeth of the blade point forward. Use some 3-in-one oil

while you cut. (or any kind of lubricant).

Anchoring one side of the DB is helpful in cutting the opposite side.....

Clamp it down so you do not have to hold it with one hand and cut with

the other.....

Time wise? I did one in under 10 mins....

If you have acess to a Sawzall use that. Just throw a metal bloade in it and it should cut though damn near anything. I cut some 2'' round stock with it pretty quick so a db handle shoud be no problem.

When you cut the dumbell I would recommend cutting both ends at the same time.

Cut a bit on the one and then cut a bit on the other. If you cut one completly off without cutting the other side you'll have a hell of a time cutting the handle off the 2nd block.

-HH

That's probably a good idea Hammerhead. I am trying to picture getting the handle off the second side.

But this leaves one of my questions unanswered. Can I expect both blocks to weight the same?

That's probably a good idea Hammerhead. I am trying to picture getting the handle off the second side.

But this leaves one of my questions unanswered. Can I expect both blocks to weight the same?

Depending on the brand of hex they will be about the same. I use

the CAP 39 cent per pound hex. They are not as precise as the Yorks,

but good enough.

I treat the cutting as a workout. I lop one side off, then hold the other

end tight while I finish the handle.

T

When you cut the dumbell I would recommend cutting both ends at the same time.

Cut a bit on the one and then cut a bit on the other. If you cut one completly off without cutting the other side you'll have a hell of a time cutting the handle off the 2nd block.

Sorry, but I do not understand why there would be difficulty in making

the second cut? I do have the tools necessary to clamp and hold the

DB in position for making the cuts with no problem though............

So if one does not have the tools, is that the problem?

the second cut?  I do have the tools necessary to clamp and hold the

When I made my blobs and completely cut off one end before starting on the other, it made the second cut quite annoying as the dumbbell became lopsided and would constantly tip to the side. To fix the problem, I'd leave about 5% of the handle on one end before completely cutting off the other end. Taking off only 5% of the handle on a lopsided DB is much easier than cutting through the whole thing!

QUOTE (zcor @ Apr 25 2004, 03:57 PM)

the second cut?  I do have the tools necessary to clamp and hold the

When I made my blobs and completely cut off one end before starting on the other, it made the second cut quite annoying as the dumbbell became lopsided and would constantly tip to the side. To fix the problem, I'd leave about 5% of the handle on one end before completely cutting off the other end. Taking off only 5% of the handle on a lopsided DB is much easier than cutting through the whole thing!

I understand what you are saying... But as I was saying, the appropriate

set up of the DB in a solid, not being able to move a fraction while cutting,

would not give you the hassle.. :)

Doesn`t matter anyway, as long as we get our blobs, right? :)

If you have a circular saw with a removeable guide on the bottom, buy a metal cutting blade and you can cut through them in like 5 seconds. I have done all mine this way. I have a porter cable circ saw......The blades are pretty cheap, bought mine for under 5 bucks....Brett

While I have no doubt that any carpentry task would be a simple matter if I had a garage full of tools, I do not have such a luxury. A hacksaw is the tool available to me, so that's what I would be using. Buying a special blade and some 3in1 oil are not out of the question, buying a power saw at this time is.