Bursting Soda Cans

Florian Kellersmann

Hi,

has anyone a good description (better than the description from Brookfield in GMM) or a video of bursting soda cans? I think, it's one of the most impressive feats for crowds. How difficult is it?

Flo

There are a couple of videos in the movie gallery. One is in John Wood's album and there is another one in the Minnesota Griptogether album. When I burst them, I place them about chest height, grip the can with my right hand, wrap my left hand over the top of my right hand, and crush it using mostly chest, shoulder, and tricep strength. I try to concentrate on applying pressure through the heels of my palms. Note the can should be horizontal or parallel to the ground when you grip it. I have the Brookfield Greatest Hits DVD and the can crushing he does on there is nothing like what he describes in his book. He uses plenty of chest, shoulder, tricep, and even some leg squeezes to burst them. Joe Kinney is the only person I've ever seen crush one the way JB describes in his book. This method requires a superhuman amount of handstrength because there is no chest, shoulder, or tricep involvment, just pure vise-like crushing power. As far as difficulty the chest crush way is no walk in the park but not a world-class feat IMO. The Joe Kinney method, the one that JB describes is worldclass IMO. You're right the crowds eat this feat up.

I use my chest and arms to burst cans...

Here is the technique I use : http://home.nktv.no/~dagroye/sodacan/sodacan.wmv

I usually blow the top off/open ( like in the video clip ).

But If I can't burst the can after about 5-6 squeezes... the can will rip in half ( because of metal fatigue ).

Good luck with the can bursting ! :mosher

CHRISWILES Posted on Apr 15 2004, 10:07 AM

Can you cut your finger/hands trying this?????

Yes. Gloves or a rag would be a very good idea (speaking from experience).

Joe Kinney is the only person I've ever seen crush one the way JB describes in his book. This method requires a superhuman amount of handstrength because there is no chest, shoulder, or tricep involvment, just pure vise-like crushing power.

The Joe Kinney method, the one that JB describes is worldclass IMO.

If you ever watch the Kinney video, he uses what is described as a stranglehold.

He grips the can closely using both hands and then grips the can inwards until it bursts. And try not to drive your thumb though the can - that can happen also.

Another thing I noticed while was watching Kinney video again was that unlike the method JB describes, Kinney's thumbs are parallel or flush against the back of the can, not wrapped around it like the pics in GMM shows. I tried it this way and while I didn't bust the can I could tell I could build up a lot more pressure. I'm guessing because it puts more of the heal of your palm against the can so less pressure can escape. I'd be interested to see if some of the #4 closers tried it this way if they could duplicate Kinney.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys im wondering if joe kinney has a website or any videos on here of him crushing cans and piercing them?

how do you pierce a can??????

Joe Kinney is the only person I've ever seen crush one the way JB describes in his book.  This method requires a superhuman amount of handstrength because there is no chest, shoulder, or tricep involvment, just pure vise-like crushing power.

If you ever watch the Kinney video, he uses what is described as a stranglehold.

He grips the can closely using both hands and then grips the can inwards until it bursts. And try not to drive your thumb though the can - that can happen also.

DOUBTFUL!!

QUOTE (Sybersnott @ Apr 15 2004, 06:04 PM)

QUOTE (jad @ Apr 15 2004, 03:37 PM)

Joe Kinney is the only person I've ever seen crush one the way JB describes in his book.  This method requires a superhuman amount of handstrength because there is no chest, shoulder, or tricep involvment, just pure vise-like crushing power.

DOUBTFUL!!

Are you inferring Kinney's ability in can bursting is doubtful? or the

statement of driving the thumb through the can is doubtful.....

I believe that Kinney`s video is fairly convincing of his can bursting abilities

I think any relatively strong person can burst a can first try with no grip training (using good technique). I hold it with my right hand about stomach level palm up, and lay my left hand over it and then squeeze with my hands and chest. After several seconds of squeezing it will burst into two halves. Every can I've burst has burst into two halves like that. The first time I did it I put the can in the sleeve of a sweatshirt first to protect my hands, I've also used a sock and a rag before. Just remember to wash your clothing afterwards.

Can anyone crush a can with one hand? :blink