New Pr

EricMilfeld

It took a 20 minute rest after getting to the crushdown portion before I could finish the struggle, but I managed a nice strict bend of a 6 1/2" Red, yesterday at work. I also disposed of a 5/16X6" grade 2 bolt that felt to be the equivalent of a Red. If you're interested, I purchased this bolt at Lowe's Hardware, and it has "BL" on the head. The "L" connects to the bottom portion of the "B". Also, I've noticed that I'm continuing to require less and less of an initial kink before I can take over with the double overhand style. The bolt had only a slightly perceptible kink from an attempt two months ago, and I think I could of did the bend with no kink at all. I've also noticed my sticking point moving from the initial stages of the bend to the crushdown portion. Seven months into this bending craze, and I'm finally developing something resembling my ideal technique.

I managed a nice strict bend of a 6 1/2" Red, yesterday at work.

Awesome bend Eric!!!! :rock:bow

Sounds like you have a great job if you have time to bend at work :D:)

Edited by crusher2005

Awesome bend Eric, well done :rock

Interesting what you say about the initial kink, I believe Terminator found the same thing shortly after he certified.

You are certainly among the best now Eric. What is the shortest red bend thus far? Has anyone done a 5 3/4''? Do you still bend every third day?

Eric,

Great job bro :rock getting better and better!!!

Hey, the 5/16X6" grade 2 bolt you bent...? Our buddy, Eli, smoked a 5/16X6" grade 2 bolt the other day (just started bending, this kid's amazing :blush ) and he was excited to try a grade *8 the following week. Managed to only put a slight kink in it...? Tried another 5/16X6" grade 2 bolt and was a solid bend, but still pretty easy for him.. You said your 5/16X6" grade 2 bolt was about the same as a RED, do you think we have a different type??

Great job again!!!

Eric you are an animal keep it up man!! :rock:bow:bow:bow

Thanks guys!

Smitty, there seems to be much more variance in strength among the grade 2's, as opposed to the 5's and 8's. I bent one grade 2 5/16X6" that seemed to be somewhere between a grade 5 and a grade 8, but this "BL" bolt had all the strength of a Red on the first half of the bend. By the way, Eli sounds scary! :rock

Mikael, I too would be interested to know of the shortest Red bend to date. I know that Pat and the Gavin have tried 5 1/2" Reds, but I haven't heard of anyone having success with this length. Who's done a 6" Red?

seems to be much more variance

That is what I figured....I will check to see if there is anything on the top of these bolts...great job again!!

Excellent work Eric!

Regarding grade 2 strengths...

My dad has been working as a mechanic for 20+ years and says that if it is labeled as Grade 2, then the strength will vary a lot from batch to batch. That is because their strength could be anywhere from Grade 0 to Grade 4.

He also says that he has found some 5/16" grade 11 bolts that he says will snap before being bent!

Edited by ClayEdgin

Thanks for the insight, Clay.

I forgot to add above that I'm now shooting for a bending workout every fourth day. But this isn't written in stone. A true addict has no self control. ;)

Mikael, I too would be interested to know of the shortest Red bend to date. I know that Pat and the Gavin have tried 5 1/2" Reds, but I haven't heard of anyone having success with this length. Who's done a 6" Red?

Obviously not much proof to this, but if one reads Gazza's story of his day with the Holle's, there's a mention of Craig Holle having done a 5.5 inch RED....

I have witnessed Pat Povilaitis bend a 5.5" red nail in under a minute.  How low can you go?

Holy Bonkers! Now that's something to shoot for!

Obviously not much proof to this, but if one reads Gazza's story of his day with the Holle's, there's a mention of Craig Holle having done a 5.5 inch RED....

I remember reading of Gazza's trip, but couldn't remember if mention was made of Craig having success with that length.

Edited by EricMilfeld

After all these years, I really do not believe much of what I read. It has come to the point that the only things I believe are the things I see with my own two eyes, or witnessed by those with a high level of knowledge about what they are witnessing. The one thing I can say about Pat is he is one of the few guys that I know who is willing to put his reputation on the line, and then delivers on what he says he is going to do. If he fails for some reason, he'll admit it, and do so without making any cheap excuses. I can understand why lack of proof constitutes doubt, and highly respect that. For anybody who wants to see Pat in action, he'll be performing at the AOBS, so if anybody wants to see the best legitimate bender on the planet, this is your chance.

The report said he had done some prior bending and only managed to kink the 5 1/2" red.

Good job on continuing your progress Eric!

The report said he had done some prior bending and only managed to kink the 5 1/2" red.

Good job on continuing your progress Eric!

You need to re-read it my good man.

I quote:

"I then mention the RED cut to 6" and Gavin says craig has done a RED at 5.5" "