Pvc Sizes

DarknessDragon

Is there a way to tell the inner or outer diameter of pvc pipe without looking at both? For example, do all pipes with 2" diameters have approximately the same inner diameter? Or can they be made with thick walls? Also, what inner diameter pipe should I get to fit over standard bars and what would the outer diameter on it be?

There are different wall thicknesses of PCV pipe, but as far as I know there is no 2 inch

PVC pipe that will fit over standard one inch bars and be centered. I have some 2 inch

to 1 inch pipe reducer end caps on my wrist roller that keeps the PVC pipe about centered on the supporting bar. That system should also work well on dumbell handles, but would be less effective if you were trying to make a long thick bar setup.

In that case the PCV pipe would probably bend under heavy weight.

Well, the 2" outer diameter pvc was just a random number, I was asking if the inner diameter of that pipe would be approximately the same on all pvc. Would the outer diameter of pvc that fits and is centered on a 1" bar be about 1.5"?

As far as I've been able to tell, nothing really fits perfect. You generally need to use endcaps and drill 1" holes in them. It also works good to cement the bar on. I've made longer bars using this method with great results.

There is at least 2 types of pvc. Scheduel 40 is the normal everyday stuff. Scheduel 80 has a thicker wall. The outter diameter is the same. It is a lot stronger, but fit wise doesn't seem to make much difference. Scheduel 80 is used in high pressure situations or when specs require it. You have to get it at a plumbing type place and generally buy 20ft chunks...

THis article is the method I used to make thickbars...

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/Method2.html

Also check out method 1. It might be easier for you..

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/Method1.html

BTW 1" rubber hose will fit over 1" rod, if that help. It doen't increase the diameter by much however. If you don't want it on perminate use soap to help get it on. You can use goop to perminately attach it...

Edited by apdwler

You guys are mixing stuff up a bit I think. Pipe as far as I know is always sold by it's INTERIOR diameter size. Pipe wall thickness though can and will change depending on the grade and material of the given pipe.

Edited by Incindium

Some where in all my junk is a chart I made a while back that shows a lot of measurements for different sized pipe - both steel and PVC. It also shows some other stuff- like available steel, etc. I'll try to find it and post it on the board.