Galvanized

JeffPeterson

Anybody know how these rate cvompared to 60D Bright nails? Also I bought some other very dull not shiny 60D nails to I'm excited to see if all the 60D's are the same.

I got some galvanized (a light grey color) very easy 60ds. And I have other galvanized ( a darker grey) which are very hard. 60ds vary alot what I have seen around here. Almost all my shiny 60ds pretty hard.

Thanks alot for responding. Mine are very very light in color. Do you think a consistant blue bender could bend one of these lighter ones?

I know they could the ones I have Jeff. Be hard to say about your 60ds.

I should have realized that. I also got some 40D's, they're shorter then I like but would be a good volume bend.

I have some 60D galvanized that are very very light gray. They are easier than 1/4" HRS to bend. I can bend at least four of these in a row, but I am still struggling to bend a yellow.

You should give one a try. You might be surprised. ;)

Porkbone had some tt's around blue level. If you could get a box

of them that would be a good cheap training nail.

The galvanized 60d nails I bought from Lowes are terrors. I can bend 5.25"x6 CRS stock MUCH easier than I can one of these. Of course nails make grippers seem like ultra precise products, you just never know until you try one.

Thats no kidding, ive got a box of TT that measure about 290# which is 10# more than my 60ds....then i had a few TT that measured barely 185#. You never know til you try (and or test em). Good luck.

Of course nails make grippers seem like ultra precise products, you just never know until you try one.

That is so true! Nails not only vary between similar grades, they vary widely within their own batch!! Grippers seem much more precise by comparison! :stuart

I've had the same experience with all types of 60Ds, some galvanized are harder, then some shiny are harder, and there is no telling until you bend or test them. I have experienced galvanized 60Ds flaking off (the galvanized coating) during a bend, at the bent area.

Edited by mmainlands

Sometimes my timber ties flake at the bend as weel. My TT are very easy too, between a green and a yellow, but closer to a green.

Sometimes my timber ties flake at the bend as weel. My TT are very easy too, between a green and a yellow, but closer to a green.

Jeff,

You must be bending 8 twist timber ties then. Have you tried the 5 twist and 12 twist ones ?

I have some 8 twists that are harder than the 1/4" 6" HRS that I have bent and I also have some 8 twists that are only ~10-15lbs harder than the polebarns I have.

I do not think the number of twists has that much to do with the strength.

I have not found a 60d that is easy as I have only managed ~45-55deg bend in one. I have bent a 5" 1/4" grade 2 hex bolt that was just a tad (~10-15lbs) harder than the hard 8 twist TTs. Crazy.

Just from what I have seen/felt thus far.

I need to get IM's bag o nails to see where I am. Perhaps a b-day present to myself.

-Keith-

The 60D galvanized were a little easier then my brights. And I believe the dull looking 60D's were a little harder then my brights.

Of course, in a pen holder, lay my Terminator heavy feeling 60Ds that are said to be harder than any IM Red or 60D....I look at them sometimes!! :D I show them my grade 5 5.5. collection, but they are not impressed!

Edited by mmainlands

I'm trying to find differant TT but can't find them anywhere. tmmicklabs could a buya couple from you to test them?