Metacarpals Pop When Using Grippers

Finnegann

Greetings all. I'm almost a total n00b here.

I've been training grip for about 6 weeks now, and like most everyone else, I'm getting more serious about it and more addicted to it as time goes on. I started with the CoCT, and got the #1 and #2 shortly thereafter. About two weeks ago, shortly after I began doing cheat closes on the #2, I started getting a "popping" (sound and sensation) in the metacarpals in my right hand under my index and middle fingers, just above the wrist. My right hand pops now even when I use the trainer. It gets a little better after I warm up, but I've cut back on the grippers because I'm concerned about injuring my hand.

I searched the forum and found this thread on topic: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=3529

Same as in that thread, the popping doesn't really hurt. It's just a bit disturbing. Since that thread is over a year old, I'm wondering if anybody has some knowledge to add to it now. Has anybody who's had this issue just trained through it with good results? Can I expect it to go away?

The hot-water-soak before workouts does wonders. I had a similar popping, and still do if my hands are not nice and warm. The hot water bath prevents this everytime.

If however, your hands have any type of tendonitits do not put hot water on them. I used to have tendonitis until I just started using soley ice water it works wonders.

:rock You might also try Flex-All 454. It's endorsed by Joe Namoth, who was an actor and might have played sports at one time, probably when he was in high school.

or it could be old age, jk just wanted to put a smile on everyones face. hope you figure it out.

I have this poping, I can make my hand do it, I just got used to it after awile. I could do it for as long as I could remember. So I don't see it as a problem. I have also never experienced it during gripping though but I can assure you it is the same poping. So no worries it hasn't hurt me in the 8+ years I can remember of me being able to do it (I am 16 years old as of know). But if it does start to hurt I would get it checked out.

:trout Didn't read your post correctly I get the poping in the knucles the connect the fingers to the palm. Also I do not get the poping in the wrist.

Edited by kyle102887

The hot-water-soak before workouts does wonders. I had a similar popping, and still do if my hands are not nice and warm. The hot water bath prevents this everytime.

soaking your hands is good, but i dunno if soaking your hands before a workout is the best. i did that a while back, soaked my hand for a bit and my caluses softened up. so when i did my grippers after that my calus tore since it wasnt hard. if your gunna soak i would say do it after

About two weeks ago, shortly after I began doing cheat closes on the #2, I started getting a "popping" (sound and sensation) in the metacarpals in my right hand under my index and middle fingers, just above the wrist. My right hand pops now even when I use the trainer. It gets a little better after I warm up, but I've cut back on the grippers because I'm concerned about injuring my hand.

Same as in that thread, the popping doesn't really hurt. It's just a bit disturbing.

So you're not in pain. Have you thought about going to a doctor about it?

It's just the pressure of the gripper in your hand. It happens to me too.

Here are a couple possibilities told to me by a physical therpist

when I was rehabing an injured hand

Tendons shifting back and forth as the hand joints move.........

Joints in the hand and fingers are enclosed in a capsule that

contains a lubricating fluid. When the joints are moved to their

end of range, gas that is dissolved in the joint fluid comes out of

solution in the form of a bubble and makes a popping noise....

Strange stuff!!

Have you thought about going to a doctor about it?

It's just the pressure of the gripper in your hand. It happens to me too.

I'm one of those people who only goes to the doctor if I get a compound fracture. Yeah, I'll probably die of something highly preventable, years before I should.

I don't know if I can blame it all on the pressure of the gripper in my hand, because my hand didn't pop at first.

I'll try some of the recommendations and see if it improves any.