Blobs For Everyone

dave

I've never seen/touched a real blob, but the paint BulletTooth used has a good texture. It's probably got more friction than the real blob, but the !@#$% thing is still hard to hold onto with being cursed with huge hands ;) I think I managed 25 or 30lbs, and Scott about 40lbs. Of course that was after the RT and such. I still need to get the caps, but I haven't decided what to paint it with. Maybe high-temparature grill paint. It's got some texture, but it's still somewhat slick, if I remember. What do you guys think?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• jad

• BulletTooth

• Davekline

Has anyone got a pic of one of these PVC blobs they have made?

I painted the PVC blob with textured black paint and it turned out great! The dimensions are remarkably similar to the real thing. Instead of filling it, I put an eye bolt on it so I can use it with a loading pin.

http://GlockFAQ.com/hold/PVCBlob1.jpg

http://GlockFAQ.com/hold/PVCBlob2.jpg

How wide is your Blob in Picture 2.

Iam just curious to see if its to big for my hand.

EDIT FROM ABOVE:

with being cursed with huge hands

should be:

without being cursed with huge hands

fstyle, my hands are ~7.75" and judging by the way BulletTooth's Morton Blob felt in my hand, I'd say that if you're much under 7.5" you'd have a tough time just wrapping your hand around it. And lifting by it's face - Sorin must have loooooong fingers and thumbs and a small palm to do that with 7.75" hand. I couldn't even get a grip on it that way.

Of course, no one said you can't make it narrower - or if you've got really small hands - get 4" PVC pipe and caps instead of the 6".

Edited by ianders1

Hey guys just wanted to say a quick hello in my first post :). Can't wait to get my grip on!

Anyways, I plan on making one of these soon. What are you guys filling these with? I need something preferably free to fill mine with. Since I'm just starting out I don't need a real heavy weight. How much do you think one filled with sand would weigh?

Thanks.

Edited by thehumungus

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a thought - what if you took your bolt cutters and cut up all your bent pieces of steel and put those inside for fill - should weigh more than sand but a lot less than lead.

I found some cheap reloading sites too but when you add shipping on 50lbs it makes it not so cheap. I think I'm going to start hitting some flea markets and gun shows

Edited by jad

I bought 50 lbs. of the Star #9 shot from T and T Reloading, Inc. Cost of shot: $29.90. Shipping from Pennsylvania to NYC: $11.20. UPS ground brought me my shot 5 days after I placed my order on the Web. I think it was a pretty good deal. New York City folk don't like guns much so I had no luck finding shot in town and the drive to PA (tolls, gas) would have cost me much more than $11.

I use the #9 shot for my PDA Blobette, my Detroit Barbell blob, and my DB kettlebells. It flows into them very nicely and makes a pleasing sound sloshing around. Unfortunately I spilled about an ounce onto our parquet floors and it is no fun to pick up.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps you could do the same thing with 6" PVC and connect two of these with a 2.5" handle? Just melt them together? Could be a nice dumbell, but it might cost alot to fill.

You could get a length of PVC pipe in whatever diameter you choose. Then cap one end off and install a cleanout plug on the other. Then you would then have a shot loadable thickbar.

I am not sure how practical this set up would be.

• 1 year later...

not sure if this is the same, but i took a 4" domed pvc cap; drilled ahole in the very center of the dome and just ran some 550 cord through the hole. this works my fingertips for me, but I have pretty small hands.

i recently thgouht bout this and finally made one today.

u need three things from lowes/home depot or local plumbin supply.

2  6" caps  7-10$ each

1  6" pvc pipe by 3"  dunno cost, got mine free

the caps come and are bout 4" long on the coupler side. you cut off 2" of this. insert the 6" by 3" long piece between the two cut caps.its an exact blob size thingy. same curve and everything.dont glue it, or only glue one end and you can open it up and add weight. can add texture with file or whatever or leave it slick and add to the PO factor

pics in my gallery in couple minutes

Great idea dave, thanks. As a poor high schooler, I know I'd never be able to buy one. :laugh

Definitely gonna make this one, good idear. I also would like to point out that I got 50 lbs of lead shot off ebay for $36 with shipping, although it was a one-off sale and not an online store. Like atmccammon, I live in NYC (although in Brooklyn, where people love guns, but they just aren't legal, ha ha). And also, I think you'd have better luck hitting a plumbing supply store that a Lowes or HD for such a small piece of pipe. I'm seriously excited about this one.

• 6 months later...

Old topic, but I'd like to ask how much does this type of blob weigh if you fill it to the max with lead shot? How about bent nails cut into pieces?

I did this blob thingy, and filled it with coins. It feels nice and I can use it to train my ring finger and pinky together with thumb, but for whole hand it feels too light. That's why I'd like to know how much it will weigh, if you use lead shot and fill it completely.

This was truly a good idea. Thanks.

Edited by Teemu I

The only way to get a lot of weight into a PVC blob would be to add lead shot. I think that one filled with coins would not weigh much.

BB's might be cheaper but this is a great and inexpensive Idea

Ok Here is how you do it. Get a some old batteries, charge them up as much as you can, and crack them open. This results in maximum lead content vs lead oxide. Get the bits and pieces of lead you can, clean it up and chuck them into an old pot, melt it down over the stove (better do it outside on the bbq because of fumes) and once its all melted (A steel pot + stove makes it very, very easy) clean the stuff off the top with a steel spoon, and then pour the melted lead into some sort of mould. Personally id do this with a piece of clay, where i have gotten a bouncy ball and pushed it into the clay to make lots of half sphere depressions. Let clay dry then pour your lead. There you have it, a heck of alot of half sphere lead pellets and zero cost.

EDIT- You can easily use muffin trays to make coin shapes (dont fill it all the way up or it will be impossible to fill "most" of the blob up)

Make sure your metal is dry before you start, dont breath the vapours in and its basically a safe task. Still, i dont take any responisibility of any harm arising from my instruction, but id let a child do this (heck i was a child when i did this stuff :P)

ON another note, if you cant find any curved end caps (like me, in sydney i have never seen curved pill shaped ones, only flat) then here is what you do.

Get a large frying pan or something kitcheny that will hold a couple cm of oil, but is wide enough for your pvc endcap. Heat the oil up nice and good (again on bbq, outside is better) and once it gets somewhat hot, dip the end cap into the oil so that the flat end is covered completely. Make sure the oil only goes up the lip a few mm, the thickness of the pvc would be a good number. Every 30 seconds or so, check to see if the pvc is loosening up in the hot oil. After a few min depending on the heat source, the end should be quite floppy but the lip will still be hard is its not in the oil. Now you get another kitchen bowl or plate, infact anything that has approximately the same curve as a blob (admittedly hard to find, but can be done) and pick up the pvc endcap, put it on the bowl, and push the middle in with a baking glove or something of that nature. The inside will be clean so its not a big deal. Let it sit for a minute or so and Whala! you have a curvy endcap and no dmg to the pvc. Using hot oil with pvc rocks because of the lack of dmg, whereas a blowtorch will scorch it.

Once its cool, if you have any edge warping that doesnt feel right (might happen, i havent done this yet, but ive done this process 100x, folds can bend wrong sometimes) then just sand it down with something like 300 grit, working to about 800 grit.

Edited by quazimodo

Ok Here is how you do it. Get a some old batteries, charge them up as much as you can, and crack them open. This results in maximum lead content vs lead oxide. Get the bits and pieces of lead you can, clean it up and chuck them into an old pot, melt it down over the stove (better do it outside on the bbq because of fumes) and once its all melted (A steel pot + stove makes it very, very easy) clean the stuff off the top with a steel spoon, and then pour the melted lead into some sort of mould. Personally id do this with a piece of clay, where i have gotten a bouncy ball and pushed it into the clay to make lots of half sphere depressions. Let clay dry then pour your lead. There you have it, a heck of alot of half sphere lead pellets and zero cost.

EDIT- You can easily use muffin trays to make coin shapes (dont fill it all the way up or it will be impossible to fill "most" of the blob up)

Make sure your metal is dry before you start, dont breath the vapours in and its basically a safe task. Still, i dont take any responisibility of any harm arising from my instruction, but id let a child do this (heck i was a child when i did this stuff :P)

Sounds like something MacGyver would do. I appreciate your tips, but I'm not taking any chances. Cancer burgers, anyone? I'd rather stick with my light blob than start melting lead. It's not that I'm not able to do that kind of stuff, but there's allways a risk that you might inhale those fumes. My light blob is rather ideal for working fingers individually and by pairs with thumbs, I'll stick with that until I come up with something.

Sounds like something MacGyver would do. I appreciate your tips, but I'm not taking any chances. Cancer burgers, anyone? I'd rather stick with my light blob than start melting lead. It's not that I'm not able to do that kind of stuff, but there's allways a risk that you might inhale those fumes. My light blob is rather ideal for working fingers individually and by pairs with thumbs, I'll stick with that until I come up with something.

Im going to clarify something. Melting this lead once, twice or 100 times wont make you sick. The "fumes" i talk of have more to do with impurities in/on the metal (yes i know about metal fumes but read on). What will make you sick is if you sit over the pot and purposefuly breath in whatever you can, if you touch the lead constantly and then go off and eat.

You are being way too over cautious and it makes what i suggest seem like a bad idea, when it is infact a great idea that is very easy and functional. Again i will state, just be sensible, wear gloves and DONT PUT WET METAL INTO THE MOLTEN METAL, it could boil and cause some hot lead to splash on you (a kid died doing this with wet bronze somewhere in the usa a long time ago).

Anyway, do it or dont i dont care, but the method works and unless you are silly its safe enough.

Me beeing cautious has more to do with the fact that I don't have a suitable place to do this melting and I'm not going to do this with the same bbq I cook with. That is not a tempting idea.

I think it's a good idea though, I don't say it isn't, but until I find a suitable place and equipment I will not do it.

Me beeing cautious has more to do with the fact that I don't have a suitable place to do this melting and I'm not going to do this with the same bbq I cook with. That is not a tempting idea.

I think it's a good idea though, I don't say it isn't, but until I find a suitable place and equipment I will not do it.

Fair enough. :)