Diesel Crew: New Video - Eric Milfeld - The Red

smitty

Wow! I'm overwhelmed! Thanks for the kind words everyone!

And a special thanks to Smitty for offering to do this in the first place. Unfortunately I've been unable to view more than just a few bits and pieces of what looks to be a very fine production on the part of Smitty. We're having computer/ internet connection issues that will hopefully be fixed in a couple of days. But again, judging by what little I did see, and all the responses, as well as Smitty's other video productions, I'll say "SUPER AWESOME WORK, SMITTY!"

By the way, this was the first time I bent a Red without taking a lengthy break between attempts, hence the glee. :D I believe this was the third Red I had ever bent. I certified about six days later with a bend performed in roughly 30 seconds (the effect of adrenaline, for sure).

I think bending, more than any other grip discipline, is largely dependant upon the perfection of technique. Minor changes in the positioning of everything from fingers, to elbows, to posture, result in huge leverage changes. And to make it more ineteresting, as little as a half inch difference in bar length can be cause for major techniqe adjustments. I was making technique changes the week before I certified, and will probably continue to evolve in this area. So the door is wide open for all you guys with more natural strength and potential than I possess to polish your technique and do some truly amazing things with the steel! All you need is that burning desire to succeed. It's an exciting time for bending!

As usuall, Diesel has put together another fine video. :bow

Eric, I didnt know you had a pec tear in the past? What kinds of things did you do to rehab it? I am 14 weeks in now and it is still hurting like hell everytime I try to do any chest work. Strict bending is out of the question!

Quite frankly, at this point I would be happy to just get back to being able to demolish 60 pennys again.

Rick Walker :rock

Praise the Lord :rock

That video ruled.

Congrats Brother.

So what next for you ?

Are you gonna get back into grippers and get into the Mash Monster Certs ?

Eric, I didnt know you had a pec tear in the past? What kinds of things did you do to rehab it? I am 14 weeks in now and it is still hurting like hell everytime I try to do any chest work. Strict bending is out of the question!

I had a bad pec tear awhile back and some pec major tendonitis. I thought I was back to full as nothing seemed to bother it and I was stronger than ever. Then I started bending...after a few weeks of bending the old pec starts to bother me again. I pushed through it for a period, but it kept getting worse.

This brings us to today, my pec is good to go and I am breaking bending PRs every few weeks. I am still going slow as I am a bit fearful of pushing too hard too soon.

The largest contributing factor to my recovery was deep massage work. I highly recommend you find a massage therapist or physical therapist who does soft tissue release work. That coupled with a bit of ultrasound and daily stretching is all it took to bring me back to 100%.

Best wishes.

Why is Eric bending in his boy's room and his boy bending in the gym?

Why is Eric bending at 2am?

Great job Eric - congrats on the certification!

Wade

Why is Eric bending in his boy's room and his boy bending in the gym?

Why is Eric bending at 2am?

:laugh

I got home from work at 0200 hours eager to try a technique modification I'd considered. So I ask my wife to video a Red attempt in case I can actually do it without taking extended rests. She agreed, provided she didn't have to get out of bed. I'm not kidding. And the children's drawings posted on our bedroom wall, well, I'd better not say anything in the event my wife reads this post. :D

I tore my left pec while doing a routine set of squats, of all things. I suspect my lack of shoulder flexibility contributed to the injury. This is the only injury I've ever suffered in 23 years of lifting. It happened about 5 years ago. The orthopedic surgeon misdiagnosed it as a strain or simple pull, despite my pointing out the visibly missing flesh, bruises, and my relaying of the event itself, when I could actually feel it breaking away from my humerus and snapping back towards my sternum like a rubber band. :angry: Long story short: when I finally received a sound diagnosis, it was too late for surgery. Within a month or so I could manage close grip push-ups, but it wasn't until about a year ago that I could start doing heavy benches using a 30" grip. I progressed from close to wide grip push ups as my main means of recovery. My bench is now at 95% of my all time best at my current bodyweight. But the muscle absense in my arm pit area is still plainly visible, as is the displaced tendon. I think if I had known about things like active release therapy, my recovery could have been years quicker. Rick, it may be a long road, but I've no doubt the future holds PR's for you!

Damn, if I asked my wife to videotape me doing grip stuff at 2 a.m., she would thrash me soundly about the head and shoulders with a blunt object!