Square Stock

austinslater

Do you guys bend much of this? I bent some 3/16ths just for fun and I love the way it feels. is this stuff a good gap filler between the blue and grade 5? Im planning on getting some 1/4 square and im curious how it stacks up to 1/4" round and grade 5 bolts. Thanks!

I love the way it looks when its bent. I did some 3/16, but haven't played with 1/4 yet. Doubt I could kink it. It does feel good while bending though, I agree with you there.

W

1/4 inch square is around a red. Ask Dave O. he has all the progressions of where metal lies.

A small kink and I stress the word small, was all I could get on a 7 inch peice of 1/4 square stock.

Edited by jad

I agree with everyone else. A complete world of difference between 1/4 round and square.

I've bent a 6" x 1/4" grade 5, but I can't bend a " x 1/4" square stock. It's brutal stuff. More of a gap filler between the grade 5 and the red. For a filler between the blue and a grade 5 try various brands of 60d and cut 60d's

The square stock that I've tried is extremely difficult. The cross-sectional area of 1/4" round is 0.049 sq in, 1/4" square is 0.0625 sq in, and 5/16" round is 0.0767 sq in. These #'s seem to tell the story pretty well from my experience with these stocks.

How does 6x1/4 square stock compare with 6x1/4 grade 8's?

Based on my limited experience, the grade 8's are definitely easier. I have tried 6.5" and 6"x1/4" square and have never fully bent either.

WOW, I knew it was tough but I didn't know it was that tough. Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

I just picked up some 1/4" crs square stock at home depot. i tried to bend a 7" section and managed to get a little baby kink in it, and im gonna rest and try some more tonight! 6" 1/4" crs square? you gotta be kidding.....

MEAT :trout