50lb Blob Vs 50lb Hex

Clay Edgin

Which is tougher in your opinion? Woodchuck lifted the 50lb blob no problem but it took him a week or so to fully lift the 50lb hex head. I believe Heath said they are equally tough. What say you?

Probably, depends on the manufacturer. Hex, dumbells can vary quite a bit in dimensions.

Obvoiusly in this case the hex is harder.

Oustanding! :rock

-HH

I saw a 100 hex db today that I could barely get my Index finger across. It would definitely be harder than the 50 Blob. I'm with HH on this one...depending on the dimensions the hex could be much tougher.

the hex i have has wicked slick grey paint, it's 40 lb and i have an easier time lifting the 40 lb York. i hope to be lifting the Blob by 2005!

The blob is WAY harder. The 55 lb hex was nothing for me(easily cleaned it) and deadlifted it with the thumb and three fingers with an extra 8 lbs added at the Night of strength get together. I estimated I could have done an extra 18 to 20lb on the hex .The blob was sitting right next to it, tough as ever. The hex blob is straight on the sides not the wicked outward curve that the Blob has. The hex is a chunk of iron....the blob is a world class grip challenge! If anyone would like to wager equal poundage lifts with me lifting a hex and you lifting the Blob pleeeeeeze let me know! "Nuff said"

I lifted the original Blob, could not even move the hex head. I think that the hex is as challenging.

I have tried both styles and I would think the hex would be harder just becuse of the type of paint used on most of them.

The blob is WAY harder. The 55 lb hex was nothing for me(easily cleaned it) and deadlifted it with the thumb and three fingers with an extra 8 lbs added at the Night of strength get together. I estimated I could have done an extra 18 to 20lb on the hex .The blob was sitting right next to it, tough as ever. The hex blob is straight on the sides not the wicked outward curve that the Blob has. The hex is a chunk of iron....the blob is a world class grip challenge! If anyone would like to wager equal poundage lifts with me lifting a hex and you lifting the Blob pleeeeeeze let me know! "Nuff said"

Give Wade a call.

Wanna be, its pinch gripping half of a 100lb hex dumbell or 100lb york dumbell

You saw the ends off and use them as block weights.

the York blob has a flaring outward curve that makes it hard to get grip on and some of the hex dumbells are painted with a glossy hammertone paint that is very slippery but the sides of the hex blob are straight up and down which is generally considered easier to get a grip on.

Mr Matt, I think if you asked Wade his toughts on what was harder the 50 lb Blob or a 50 (in my case 55 lb hex) his answer would be the Blob. The weights I lifted on the hex at the Night of Strength on the hex equaled or exceeded the best marks by Wade or myself on the Blob. I personally think Wade is the best at the Blob and if he tried that same hex blob as I did his poundages would be mind blowing.If for some reason he thinks the hex is harder it would be a fun contest between us...........I would like another crack at the Diesel crews hex 55 to train on for a few days and really go after a big number. Can you guys help me get my paws on it again? RS

Mr Richard

I just though you were looking for someone to have a contest for weight with. You using the hex and the other using the blob. I figured since Wade has lifted the most on the blob he would stand the best chance of beating your weight used on the hex.

Mr. Matt thanks for your insight....Just to set the record straight what is the top mark with the Blob with weight added? My best mark is 64lb total.....RS

I think Wade has done 20-25lbs extra.

Tried weight on the blob 1 time a year ago and did 5lbs. I have never tried to add weight to the hex. Richard and Wade are in a league of their own.

I still wonder what Wades top number is...anyone know for sure?" About" 20 to 25 lb is a pretty broad estimate...........Thanks RS

WOW, that makes Wade nearly 20% stronger than Richard..I would say that Wade isn't in a league, he IS the league.. Fantastic, Wade.....I hope you reach 80 or more lbs. someday.

I did this lift about 2 weeks ago with the same blob I had at the Arnold right out of the cooler I ship it in. The total weight was weighed on a Toledo feed scale.

Wade

Wade, A couple of questions I wondered about...How did you attach the extra 25lb to the blob...I am having a tough time getting more than 12 lbs added. RS

Richard - I lay a old style black rubber bungee cord flat then put my plate(s) on top of it, put the blob on top of the plate, and crank the bungee as tight as I can get it. I have a couple different sizes I will use. For the 25lbs, I used a 25lb plate. Part of the challenge of lifting additional weight is dealing with thinks not feeling quite right. For example, I can't tip the blob at all which I normally do when lifting it with no weight. Also, there are times that the bungee and plate will rotate the blob one way or the other, basically trying to rip the blob out of your hand. Good luck!

Wade