Could These Blobs Be Lifted?

Dumnorix

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, but I just made my first addition to the gallery. I was wondering if anyone has tried (or succeeded) in deadlifting blobs made from globe dumbells. These blobs would be almost perfectly round, smooth, and would weigh 45lbs. I probably won't cut this thing, but I may end up doing so if it is possible for humans to lift them. Lifting them would be like palming a cannonball, in my opinion.

Here is the addition to my gallery.

Where did you find that dumbell?

It was among the junk in my uncle's storage barn, and he let me have it. Most likely bought from a goat sale.

I have no idea about lifting those. But if I owned that dumbbell I would not cut it up because it looks cool and old!

Lordy lordy

Do not cut those things til you get some info on them.

Maybe Mr.Roark or Mr.Sorin could shed some light on those.

Repeat.

Do NOT cut them....

If you want Cannonballs to lift I can get you Cannon balls.

They are cast iron and not that expensive.

THat dumbell Might be collectors items.(maybe not? but worth a look see)

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Would your uncle have info to give you about this DB?

Where did he get it? When? Who did he get it from? etc......

Treat this DB as historical as your William Foster Anvil!!

The YMCA I go to in Dunmore, has 50s,60s,70s and 80s like that. They have been there

as long as I can remember 25+ years. They are the only original equipment left from the

old Scranton YMCA.

They used to have pictures of Big Jim Williams using them on display.

They are very durable.

T

It was among the junk in my uncle's storage barn, and he let me have it. Most likely bought from a goat sale.

You have a piece of old weightlifting history.

Don't destroy it by cutting it up, etc. Are there any markings on it whatsoever?

It probably was used in a gym at the turn of the century. Keep it, it's a link to the past! :)

I wuold go with what everyone else is saying and not cut it. Like was said before I think Wade could do it along with a handful of others.

Okay, I won't cut it. :blink I actually thought that it was a York dumbell, until I saw images of a real Blob. Had it weighed 100lbs, I might have cut it, thinking I was just making Blobs. Thankfully, it only weighs 90! :ohmy

As far as markings: The only writing is an oddly written '90' on top of one of the globes, and on the other side of each globe there is a penny sized and shaped indention (minus the portrait of Lincoln). The 90 is in a small rectangle, and is so oddly written that the 9 almost looks like a 5. (If it is a 5, it only weighs '05' lbs, and I know that is not true.)

Walking around with the beast is a good grip exercise, and pressing the thing overhead is my near term goal. Maybe I will get a leopard print loincloth and pose with it overhead, a'la Charles Atlas or Eugen Sandow. :laugh:laugh:laugh Then again, maybe not.