Pinching

24-ba

You may all be thinking, Brett, what the hell are you talking about 'does pinching have to do with gripping'... of course it does!

Well I can close a 2004 #2 now (which I've been told is like a 2.3) and can come 1/4'' from closing a #3 inverted (with a heavy set of course) and I can't even pinch two 25's! How sad is that? I alsways thought that gripping and pinching were almost the same workout. But it isn't to me. Does anyone else have this problem? :help

Just means your pinch is lacking. If it's nat grip what is it? If you are not strong enough to deadlift 50lbs. then it may be non grip.

Most people have this 'problem', although it's not really a problem in my opinion. We all excel in some areas of grip strength and lag behind in others. No worries though- just work on improving your thumb strength and your pinch will get a nice boost.

BC.

My think pinch sucks. I hate pinching 2 thin plates, very uncomfortable. BC makes a good point, make you thumb stronger it will carry over. I find that my pinch strength is pretty specific. If I haven't done it in awhile my goes stupid and forgets how to do it. Just work your pinch a little, it will come up.

Also, I wouldn't judge yourself too harshly about the whole 2-25s thing. Plates vary so much in their size and texture that there's no way to compare them. For example, I can't hub lift my 25lb plate to save my life at home, not even with chalk. At the Gold's I go to, hub lifting most of their 25s without chalk is really easy. Different textures and all make it tough to compare. I would just work on your pinch and not worry so much about the weights - they'll come.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. Especially when you're talking about those plastic coded york plates, with those.. I can't even pinch 1 25.

I alsways thought that gripping and pinching were almost the same workout. But it isn't to me.

I think you mean crushing and pinching there. Crushing is definitely not the same as pinching. :calm One can help the other sure, just as most if not all aspects of hand strength will help all others, but crushing strength won't translate to pinching strength. I had a decent pinch before I was even close to closing a #2. Crushing doesn't do a whole lot for the thumb in my opinion, and as others said, the thumb's what you need to work on. Keep pinching! :mosher

I find crushing and pinching to be totally different. I was mashing the #3 and still couldn't pinch a pair of 25's. For power in most grip events, train that thumb, otherwise train crush for crush and pinch for pinch.