Issues With Hand Dominance.

Matt Brouse

What have you fellahs done to deal with over dominance of one hand? I am new to grip training and a few days ago after a workout I decided to take the number one for reps, got 12 easy with my right but struggled for 3 with left. I have noticed that my right hand is progressing much more consistantly and effectively than my left, has anyone dealt with this and how did you handle it?

Also when closing with my left hand I notice the handle sliding up my fingers abit (toward hand) and instead of closing straight the handle move lateral abit, what do you think is up here?

Thanks a lot.

I just go with it. My left is by far the better w/pinch and supporting grip whereas my right is my crushing hand. I train them both but as you said I don't get the reps nor the weights with the weaker hand.

I have experienced the same problem with differing progression rates per hand.

When I was training crush I was physically unable to train left handed at the time, so my imbalance in crushing strength is large. When I switched my focus to training pinch I decided to use my left hand as the throttle and only progress as fast as my left would allow.

I've tried this approach for several months now and it has been a dismal failure. My left hand has stopped gaining and my right continues to gain, despite not working near max capacity. I no longer care as much about any imbalance and train my hands independently.

My advice is to attempt to maintain some balance, but not at the cost of substantial gains.

I have the same problem,my right hand blows away my left hand!I was wondering if the way the coil is wound has anything to do with this?In one hand the coil is close and in the other hand the coil is away from the hand.

Edited by gerryg

I too have heard that the way the grippers springs are wound makes it kinda akwerd for the left hand. As for the dominance issue, my right can blow my left out of the water with max reps on a gripper, anyday anytime. BUT, there are some odd tweaks. Block weights for instance, right can lift more for a max lift attempt, and can normally do better timed holds. but the left dominates when it comes to indevidual finger lifts. I can fully dead lift a 25 lb hex block weight using my only my pinky and thumb on left hand, but my right can (if at all) barely get it off the floor. The left just seems to be able to clamp down with specific fingers better then my right.

Personally, I think it has to do with peoples life styles and what they did before they started hand training. Your dominant hand has a whole lifetime of practically double the use for most people. I feel that one hand will always be stronger in general (doesnt HAVE to be), its just how far you let that strength gap become. And one more thing, if one hand/side of your body (left/right obviously) is stronger, its not necisarily good to train more with the weaker hand to make it "catch up". I have read studies saying that b/c your dominant hand/side has such a better connection with the brain, it can perform certain movement/lifts, not easier, but with the minimal amount of muscle twitch/muscle fiber activation needed. Especially with non ordinary exercises, that use some dexterity and weird angles and such, much like those involved in grip training. While the non dominant side, being "less connected" with the brain, is more clumsy and brute. ANd in it being brute and clumsy, simply uses raw strength and power for the exercise. The result, the non dominant side get worked more and or harder.

Example. Biceps curl. Right hand (dominant), being in tune with how to move, and the best way to apply force to lift the weigt, does it using only what it needs to, being that it is comfortable, fluid and has more "hands on practice". THe brain simply knows how to use the right hand better, so the lift will be simple and comfortable. Left hand, being less used, akwerd and more uncomfortable, will have to use brute strength to lift the weight. In turn, if only one curl was done with each arm, the left would have gotten more work, simply because more muscle fibers were used/micro torn. The point is, that just because your non dominant hand is weaker and maybe more akwerd feeling doesnt mean it needs extra training.

I know personally I used to do an extra set pretty often to get my left hand/side to catch up. I have since stopped that and have noticed better overall, equal gains.

Damn thats a rant and half. Hope that all makes sense, and if not I will attempt to elaborate :happy

I guess I am lucky I am both handed, I don't know what they call it, but I am both handed I am good with my left and right and they are aproximately the same strength in fact almost exactly the same, I can't play baseball because i throw and catch better with my right hand but oh well. Any way I just thought I would tell you guys I am both handed. :rock

Edited by kyle102887

Ambidextrous is the word you're looking for. I'm somewhat that way myself, write with right - do about everything else left.

I'm a southpaw, but my hands are pretty close to each other in strength. Though, in grippers my right is better because of the way the spring is wound. I just work both hands to their maximum and not woory too much about the strength imbalance. You could also train (pinch, for example) with both hands at the same time to not let one get too far ahead of the other if it's a concern for you.

BC.

Try writing with your non dominant hand. Start with shapes, then coloring, then words, and soon you will be almost equal in strength. (okay, I don't know that, but it sure worked for me). Plus, you will get to know the frustration and determination of rehab. (actually, I don't know that either, I am just assuming.)

I feel that the gripper sets badly in the left hand, which makes it harder to apply optimum force, i.e. it feels like I'm training no-sets even if I set the gripper.

Personally I am semi-lefthanded, i.e. I when I use both hands, I use them the way a left handed person would, like in baseball (swinging on my left side) etc

At any rate, I have (had?) a substantially stronger sweep in my left hand, always opening jars with my left etc