Block Weight Substitutes?

dispencer

Hello to everyone!

As a newbie I guess a quick introduction is called for (for those interested, for those not feel free to skip ahead).

Name: David

I've been weight training for about 12 years but only gotten really interested in grip work in the past year. I have a few grippers and other grip toys that I like to "play" with. Recently I also got some steel stock to start bending (I'm liking it a lot so far).

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for substitutes for block weights?

I know there are devices like the Chunk but to me they seem somewhat limiting as exercises like block tosses etc. can't be done (well, can't be done so easily). Others like the Blobbett look good but shipping and initial cost (before filling it with shot) would probably put it out of my price range.

I have been looking in my local area and can't even find reasonably priced hex dumbbells (they only sell in pairs and asking price is around $200 AU for 80lb'ers). A single 55lb (giving two 22lb block weights - which seem a bit light) are about $70.

It seems to me from reading on the board and MoHS and GMM that adding some block weight training could really kick my development along. Also surprising is for something supposably so good there don't seem to be a lot of really good reasonably priced alternatives.

Why not go to a river and find some block-weight-sized stones. If they were in a river, they should have become smooth due to erosion. That might do the trick for you.

-Jedd-

Jedd thats a hell of a good idea. I had used a few stones in the past but nothing the right size. Thanks for the tip dude.

Damn!

now i'm going to have to add "go to river and look for stones" to my grip shopping list. Better put it after the steel store and the hardware place :whistel

Thats a great idea Jedd, I've been stuck with the same problem, blob like weights cost a fortune in Australia. I bet i can even find lots of different shapes and sizes hmmmm

You can also weigh them and mark the weight on them with a fat marker.

Why not go to a river and find some block-weight-sized stones. If they were in a river, they should have become smooth due to erosion. That might do the trick for you.

-Jedd-

Great idea for when you are on vacation also! I don't think I'll be traveling with my blob. :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll have to take a trip out to the local creek sometime and see what I can find.

Also on reflection perhaps a 55lb hex 'bell would still be a good starter. I'll see what I can find at the creek first though.