About The Inch Dumbell

daniel_lidstrom

For someone such as Magnus Samuelsson who can lift 130kg with the Rolling Thunder, lifting the Inch dumbell should not be too hard, right? Even I can lift 65kg or so on the Rolling Thunder. Is the handle even wider on the Inch than the RT?

--

Daniel

I would think that Magnus could man handle the inch, especially regarding his RT lift which from what I understand correlates well with the inch/millenium bells. This is becasue they tend to 'roll' out of your hand like the RT.

What makes it so hard to lift?

Without enough thumb and wrist strength, it just rolls out of your grasp. It's pretty frustrating because sometimes I feel like I have a great grip on it and it just rolls right on out. :whacked

For someone such as Magnus Samuelsson who can lift 130kg with the Rolling Thunder, lifting the Inch dumbell should not be too hard, right? Even I can lift 65kg or so on the Rolling Thunder. Is the handle even wider on the Inch than the RT?

--

Daniel

The Rolling Thunder is 2 3/8",smooth.The INCH replica is 2.47",smooth.The MILLENIUM is 2 3/8 with a slight knurling.

I'm pretty sure there are some Pics of Samulson easily deadlifting the INCH somewhere on the internet.I'd guess he'd be a good candidate to lift the MILLENIUM....but he hasn't done it yet. :cool

With Samuelsons arm/hand strength and being a strong presser i'd suspect he could clean and push press it with practice.

Some say a 220-225# Rolling Thunder correlates into lifting the INCH.

The INCH isn't anything 'magical' though.It is a SOLID dumbell and thus wants to roll out of your hand.Wrist strength really helps control the Roll and good thumb strength.

IMO,smaller hands can counter this 'roll'with a strong wrist.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Does anyone know why the Inch is so much harder than the RT? Is it the fact that the Inch is picked up from the ground as opposed to the higher RT? People have mentioned that it rolls right out of your hand but does it really roll more than the RT with its revolving handle? I've never tried to lift one and I'm sure I couldn't I just don't understand what makes them so much tougher than the RT with 172 on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

One other factor is the balance of the weight being lifted. I don't have an Inch DB, but I've got a few thick dumbbell handles that I load up and play with occasionally. In comparison, with the RT the weight is evenly distributed below so there's no extra balance needed in keeping it from tilting on you and falling out of your hand, but my experience with thick handled dumbbells where you have weight on both sides of your hand makes it more difficult to manage. I find that one side will tend to hang rather than being able to keep it even the entire time, making it more likely to have it start to roll out from your hand and lose your hold. I think that this plays a big roll overall - I've done 185 on my RT, but with a 2" DB I've only managed 175 to waist height, so there's a definite difference, and it is still harder even with the smaller handle.

VeGripper

The INCH isn't anything 'magical' though.It is a SOLID dumbell and thus wants to roll out of your hand.

I take exception to this comment. :dry

Have you tried lifting the Inch?!? I have... and it'll hand you your ass real quick. Ask the guys who have trained to lift it and still can't do it.

I take exception to this comment. 

Have you tried lifting the Inch?!? I have... and it'll hand you your ass real quick. Ask the guys who have trained to lift it and still can't do it.

Dude...Man, you like, totally missed his point man.

I take exception to this comment. 

Dude...Man, you like, totally missed his point man.

:blink

Maybe I did. So what WAS he trying to say?? :mellow

The INCH isn't anything 'magical' though.
In this sentence Tom is wisely pointing out that the Inch does not possess qualities which would make it an unconquerable foe. Such as a metallic barrier, which upon contact, can turn you into a sniveling weakling incapable of picking up a paper clip; or that that it does not have a secret dragon living deep within it's walls who flies out and torches you into beef jerky (maybe this was the real reason for Thomas Inch's famed "hole".
It is a SOLID dumbell and thus wants to roll out of your hand.

Mr. Of Iowa2 then continues to explain why the Inch dumbell is indeed HARD to pick up. It isn't glued to the floor and doesn't possess any of the magical qualities as previously stated. Due to it's solid nature, it tends to just spin right out of the old phalanges.

That's what he was trying to say 'your majesty'.

Never mind.

Youngun explained it.

i haven't tried it Snott.I have broken a dumbell off the ground a few inches- that has been described as harder than the INCH .I am not very good at thick bar but I continue to work at it.

A misundertanding :cool

I erased the rest of my post.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

The INCH isn't anything 'magical' though.

In this sentence Tom is wisely pointing out that the Inch does not possess qualities which would make it an unconquerable foe. Such as a metallic barrier, which upon contact, can turn you into a sniveling weakling incapable of picking up a paper clip; or that that it does not have a secret dragon living deep within it's walls who flies out and torches you into beef jerky (maybe this was the real reason for Thomas Inch's famed "hole".

It is a SOLID dumbell and thus wants to roll out of your hand.

Mr. Of Iowa2 then continues to explain why the Inch dumbell is indeed HARD to pick up. It isn't glued to the floor and doesn't possess any of the magical qualities as previously stated. Due to it's solid nature, it tends to just spin right out of the old phalanges.

That's what he was trying to say 'your majesty'.

This is funny as hell!! :laugh

I have... and it'll hand you your ass real quick.

How do you know it will kick his ass or anyone elses. Just because you don't have the strength to do it first try doesn't mean no one else can. Theres been a few who handled it with ease first try and I will bet theres tons more who would too.

Snott just needs to train some more. I'm not superhuman and I can pull it.

Mob, you've gotten the MDB up to a full deadlift haven't you? That's a good lift, I didn't think anyone had gotten it up to a full dead.

Anyone know who is the lightest person to DL the inch?

Odin, I believe there were one or two men who have lifted it and weighed less than the Inch itself! I will have to check the list I have at home. Unless someone else subscribes to the Strength & Speed newsletter. The issue before last had a list of Inch and Millenium bell lifters.

Clay,

If you find the list of Inch lifters could you post it? I think a lot of guys that are aspiring to lift it would love to see it.

Thanks,

Chuckie B.

Theres been a few who handled it with ease first try and I will bet theres tons more who would too.

And the guys that HAVE done it on their very first attempt aren't the ordinary guys off the street either. They've weight trained and/or are very strong.

I don't have an Inch. I do have a PDA Inch but it's not the same as the replica.

Chuckie B (and others) I cannot find my newsletter anywhere! It is buried here somewhere...

I don't have an Inch. I do have a PDA Inch but it's not the same as the replica.

I had neither and still trained to lift it - stop making excuses. :flame

When I first got access to the orginal Inch dumbbell I couldn't lift it. I went away and trained for nearly a year and got it. I did almost the same work again for the Millennium dumbbell and indeed neither myself nor David Horne on its first appearence at the OH award dinner lifted it. It took a lot of hard work and even now, if I have left off thick handle work it takes a few weeks to get the edge back.

Is the PDA inch the best tool to train for it for those of us who don't want

to buy an inch replica right away?

I had neither and still trained to lift it - stop making excuses. :flame

I'm not making excuses, I'm just telling you what I have!!! :angry::angry: