Why Buy Sledge Hammers?

FSTYLE

I don't know how long that bar is, but yes it should work the same muscles. It may be a matter of tradition for some or the fact that they have a sledge. I have a couple of wood splitiing mauls that I use. I got them to split wood not to work my wrists, but now

I also use them for excercise as well.

I'd buy the loadable sledge from Fat Bastard Barbell if I were going to buy any type of leverage bar, that thing looks awesome.

Nothing looks as cool as levering a big sledge! :mosher

I have to say, even as a super cheap skate, nothing beats a real sledge. There is just something almost magical about it. Look for them at used tool places, or laying around at constructions sites....

Despite my limited knowledge of sledgine I can say that they are actually very versatile. You can 'choke' up on the handle for easier and go further down to make it more difficult (to state the obvious).

Slim the Leverage Bar man, naw, strike that. :erm

Slim the Hammer Man! :cool

There's just something about a sledge.

The fundamental reason for buying a baseball bat or hammer is so you can hit things with it. If you remember the original Super Mario Brother's Nintendo game, one of Mario and Luigi's toughest oppenents to deal with were the Hammer Brothers who through hammers at the plumbers.

I just broke up a sidewalk with my 16-pounder, very effective I might add. Still works for both breaking and leveraging. :)

Can't pound steel posts into your yard with a leverage bar.

That and try explaining to your gym buddy that exercise and what you're using!! :laugh

You can find a thread on this forum where I discus my ideas on leverage bars. I have yet to find one that fits olympic plates instead of "standard" plates. I like the idea, it would provide recordable progresive resistance for four differtant excersises that cannot be adaquately done with basic free weight equipment. These excercises are flexion/extension in the plane perpendicular to the tradtional wrist curl, and pronation/supination of the wrist. I think every gym needs one.

FBBC can put one together for Oly plates. Anybody know the specs?

The diameter of olmyic plates is right around 2 inches. I think most sledges have a handle that is about 1 1/4'' thick and a handle that is 28 to 30. Not sure though. Hope that may have helped.

sledge hammers are winning.

no one has picked the leverage bar.

BUT for no practical reason. Just because the sledge is cool.

FSTYLE:

I think practical reasons HAVE been given. Particularly the fact that a sledge hammer can be used for other things besides just gripping and for that matter many people might already own one without buying anything. :rolleyes

Hey, if you want a practical reason for grip training, here goes. I feel the sledge is much more practical b/c with a leveragebar, its the same weight, ALWAYS at the same distance. So,you got 5 lbs on your leverage bar, and can front and back lever it no problem, but its a bit to heavy for your side twists. SO, you gotta unload and load smaller weight. With the sledge, you simply slide your hand up the handle. Basically, you can instantaniously change the amount of torque you are applying with a sledge, but you cant with a lever bar. The simplicity and time difference comparing the two makes the sledge better imo, especially with what has already been said. And really though, the sledges are so bad ass.

The practical reasons are:

1. Convenience to use sledge for other puposes other then training.

2. Do not have to change weight on sledge (unlike leverage bar) just slide hand up/down handle.

Those reasons are great. But the end results are the same for increasing grip/wrist strength.