Wrist Leverage Bar

Davekline

I am looking for a wrist leverage bar similar to,

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/0120.html

but that will take olympic sized plates. The NYBB item is exactly what I'm looking for, save for the fact that it is sized for the wrong type of plates. I have been considering contacting PDA and having them build something for me. Are there any other options?

If the handle section is 1 7/8" - why not just use a piece of 1 7/8' outside diameter pipe (that's 1 1/2" pipe) for the whole thing - handle, shaft, and the end for the weights. Cheap, readily available, fits Olympic plates (a little loose), and easy to make. Make an inside collar and it's done. If you make it kind of long, you can slide your hand up and down to vary the resistance before you have to change plates.

I have one that takes oly plates that I could sell to you? Do you still need one?

My wrist lever bar is the IM olympic loading pin.

The NYBB item is exactly what I'm looking for, save for the fact that it is sized for the wrong type of plates.

Are there any other options?

Dave,

Are Olympic-sized plates ALL you have? Spend a few bucks and get about 25 pounds worth of the standard plates. It would be the same amount of money just to get a converter sleeve for the Oly sized plates.

Olympic plates are all that I have access to at the moment. That's what my local gym uses exclusively, and what pretty much any gym I'd travel to would use. In addition, if I were to make a major investment in home gym equipment, I think I would standardize on using olympic bumper plates made by Ivanko. All things considered, I would want any personally owned and maintained equipment to be designed for olympic plates.

I used the pipe idea climber511 references above. It's a very good option......and cheap. I wrapped the pipe with athletic tape to keep it from getting too slick from my sweaty hands....

Warren makes what your looking for. Call him or order it from the weightlifters warehouse website.

-HH

As Erik said Warren makes one. I think he has 3 different handle sizes. 2, 2.5 and 3 but I bet he would make you what ever you want.

• 2 weeks later...
:whistel Still waiting to hear from PDA. I think I am going to give them a call to see, if they got my email, and what their thoughts are. Does anyone know who at PDA I need to speak to?

Good Luck!

Why do you never miss a chance to knock PDA. Do you have a liftetime grudge against them?

Maybe he feels that weightlifting equipment made over in China is higher quality. :flame

I personally see one big advantage to getting stuff from PDA, shipping. Weightlifting equipment is expensive to ship because of its weight. Buying from PDA allows me to avoid shipping and only have to spend money on gasoline.

Try the 2inch OD pipe idea, all you need would be a good set of collars.

The few times I emailed PDA, I got a reply back within an hour or two.

Depending on the item, you may have to wait awhile. But the

blobette was worth the wait.

T

So you don't pay shipping Dave?

I certainly don't think that weightlifting equipment made over in China is higher quality. You should expect to pay more for quality and that's just the way it is.

PDA treated me with rude and somewhat bizarre behavior that I still do not have an explaination for. It would be one thing if this was an isolated occurance but there is a long documented list of people who received threats, insults and similar rude treatment. Sure, there are those who have not received this treatment, but there is no excuse for it especially with such a small potential market.

I mean, PDA torpedoed me right out of the strength business!

It is obvious that you knock PDA and always support Ironmind. No doubt you were offhand to PDA. Maybe it is your life's work to put down PDA. PDA sponsors the gripboard. Ironmind ignores it.

It is obvious that you knock PDA and always support Ironmind. No doubt you were offhand to PDA. Maybe it is your life's work to put down PDA. PDA sponsors the gripboard. Ironmind ignores it.

Ironmind's service has been top notch. I judge all others to

Ironmind. Just my 2 cents.

We are probably too far off topic now.

;)

T

:yikes Personal opinions aside, the fact remains that PDA has a history of rude behavior that is inexcusable for any business. While you may not like IronMind for whatever reason, they certainly never threatened anyone's credit or made legal threats based on non-existant patent claims. :rolleyes

Getting back on topic...

I prefer to try to make my own products when possible. I've got a 3 feet long, 1.25" thick piece of rattan. I drilled one 1/4" hole about six inches from the end and another 1/4" about one inch from the end all the way through the stick. Then I wedged a 60d penny nail into the hole that is 6 inches down the stick. I slide the end of the stick through a plate and then put another 60d nail through the hole that is an inch from the end. This traps the plate between the two nails and I have a cheap, loadable sledge. The plate does not slide around a lot, and the rattan does not bend very much. Cost me about $3 in materials and 5 minutes in time.

Try the 2inch OD pipe idea, all you need would be a good set of collars.

The few times I emailed PDA, I got a reply back within an hour or two.

Depending on the item, you may have to wait awhile. But the

blobette was worth the wait.

T

The only problem with that idea is that contrary to popular belief Olympic plates are not sized to fit onto a 2 inch sleve. The Olympic sleve is 50mm in diameter which is slightly smaller than 2 inches. You would be amazed what a difference a millimeter makes.

Aparently there have been problems in the past week or so with the mail server that I am using. I think I will try e-mailing PDA again. However, I would still be interested in knowing who to ask for when calling them.

I'll say it one more time. Warren makes what you are looking for. Give him a call, you'll be levering your olympic plates in no time.

-HH

T

The only problem with that idea is that contrary to popular belief Olympic plates are not sized to fit onto a 2 inch sleve. The Olympic sleve is 50mm in diameter which is slightly smaller than 2 inches. You would be amazed what a difference a millimeter makes.

Aparently there have been problems in the past week or so with the mail server that I am using. I think I will try e-mailing PDA again. However, I would still be interested in knowing who to ask for when calling them.

I'm familiar with Olympic plates. Take one of your plates to Lowes/Home Depot

etc and see what fits. Or do as HammerHead says and order from Warren.

Good luck,

T

Black or galvanized 1 1/2" water pipe measures 1.9" (1 7/8"). Yeah I know 1 7/8" doesn't equal 1.9" but the actual measurement is 1.9" on my micrometer. PVC pipe measures the same with some exceptions.

My Elieko and York plates fit just fine, even a little loose; Barbell and other generic brands will usually fit fine over solid, actual 2" bar stock. They usually have at least a 2 1/8" hole. I have never seen water pipe that goes an even 2" outisde. PDA has info on their site about 1.95" bars fitting any plates just so people can use the tighter fitting plates.