Thick Barbells

foggymountainmuscle

Hey guys, I've decided the next big equipment purchase I have to make is a thick handled barbell. I want to know about the quality of products from various companies. I'm looking at the IM appalon axle, FBBC 2.5", and a PDA at about 2 3/8". I want to know about value, I can see the prices, but are they worth the money? I would also like to know about performance, and wear/tear, poundage loads. I plan on using this barbell regularly with very heavy poundage.

Any other companies that make thick handled barbells that I should know about?

Michael,

I have got tons of use out of the IM axle bar. I can't speak for the others that you mentioned. Don't worry about it bending either, I've had up to 680lbs on it and it is straight as an arrow. One down side though, if I decide to move I can't take it with, it's my brothers :( Shane has done tons of reverse curls and "holds" which has developed great gripping power for him.

Todd Larson

foggy

Have you given any thought to buying a 7' piece of 2" CRS and cutting out some hollow pipe, then sliding it over the CRS and welding it in place?

We have a few here and they work quite well. If you want a pic of one, PM me with your email and I will send one.

Chris

Foggy, i am gonna have to agree with CJCocn. If you want an awesome cheap thick bar i would go to a metal shop and buy a 7 foot 2'' solid stock(cold rolled).

I did, and i love it. I don't think i would ever be able to put enough weight on it to bend it. If you want some close up pics give me an email. Danegarreau@yahoo.com

Hey guys, I've decided the next big equipment purchase I have to make is a thick handled barbell.  I want to know about the quality of products from various companies.  I'm looking at the IM appalon axle, FBBC 2.5", and a PDA at about 2 3/8". I want to know about value, I can see the prices, but are they worth the money?  I would also like to know about performance, and wear/tear, poundage loads.  I plan on using this barbell regularly with very heavy poundage. 

Any other companies that make thick handled barbells that I should know about?

For squats,heavy partial deadlifts i'd use solid steel bars.For presses or curls the 'tubes'or pipe is adequate.(Although the solid lil bison curl bar is sweet.)The Mastodon bar has been taken up to 18? or 19? plates PER side(i actually witnessed that)The inside collars are unique.They can be adjusted with a set screw.So really large guys or guys(like myself)with tight shoulder can fit under a bar comfortably.

If you are thinking about strongman?keep in mind the approximately 2 inch(actually a little less I think) Iron Mind Appollons axle is what will usually be used at a contest-so you might not need to practice with over 2 inches?

Thick bars for squats and deads.Solid Cold Rolled Steel.

If a bar is hollow or a tube or piece of pipe?we've bent/scrapped a few of them.Experimenting with them.Always depends on how heavy you plan on going.

Brute Strength has some inexpensive thick barbells abd dumbells.

Do you have any experience with their equipment? They have some very good prices.

Odin, I have no experience with their equipment so I cant vouch for the quality of their stuff. Very affordable equipment though.

The first decision you have to make is how big a fat bar do you want - the size may make your decision for you. Then what exercises will you do, not only the heaviest you will go but the lightest you will go; maybe reverse wrist curls or something that can't be done all that heavy. A fat bar that weighs 95 pounds empty would limit me as for some movements that would be be much weight. Then figure the most weight you might use and be sure you have a safety factor built into whatever you buy or make. Then make a visit to the local (or not so local) steelyard and see what they have - remember, most of the items out there for sale are made from fairly commom and available materails. Actual 2" Tubing and solid stock can be purchased fairly cheaply compared to the finished product and the cheaper Olympic plates will fit right on. Always buy cold roll because of the strength but also the finish is much better on CRS. Have someone weld a couple washers or something on for inside collars and you're set. Larger bars are more complicated because the weights won't slide over the ends of the full sized bar. You have to use either 1" or 2" bar stock and then come up with a "sleeve" affair for the center handle portion of the bar. 2" pipe has a 2 3/8" outside diameter. You can also buy actual 2 1/2" tubing in different wall thicknesses. I consider 3" and above diameter bars as too limiting for me for general use but that may work well for you, depending on what you want. Tubing is available in 1/2" increments and pipe offers even more options for size. Or course this assumes you want to make your own.

If I buy stock, how straight can I expect that to be? I'm sceptict; thinking I might rip my arm off doing cleans. Where can buy stock like that from? Hardware stores? Welding suppliers?

I basically want a bar that will last me for the rest of my life, this means I want it to take over 1,000. I'll be using it for most everything: Quarter squats, presses, snatches and cleans, and curls. And yes, this will be used for strongman training. The level of performance I expect out of a bar makes me sceptic of cheap prices.

Thanks for the imput and links guys, I just realized I will need a case/pack/sleeve for this barbell to take from gym to home to other gyms. I thought I knew some places that sold them but I looked and I cannot find one. Anyone know of any?

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

I'm not too sure how straight a homemade thick bar will be. I can't see any slight bend in the one i have though. But obviously it won't be an elienko.

If you're planning on doing snatches and cleans - you'll be much happier with a rotating bar. That doesn't give you all that many choices in a fat bar. Hollow tubing, when it fails, it goes right now - solid stock will bend more slowly with tempered steel offering even more strength. That said, if I was looking at 1100 pound loads, I'd spend the money on the best I could buy, a lot can happen with those loads, I wouldn't want to have to worry about the bar being one of them.

The hard rotation is wanted for the cleans, just so we're clear. Infact someday I plan on making a non rotating bar.

foggy,

Do like I did - I went to Metal Supermarkets and got my own custom cut thick bar and it's great! Yeah, you can load it up heavy, just don't go over getting a 2" bar otherwise your Oly plates won't fit. A 1/4" thick bar will be perfect - just get some collars to fit over it for plate stops and you're all set. There's a store in Fort Wayne if you're intersted. They do all sorts of metal work, just ask.

Metal Supermarkets - CLICK HERE

Guys-

FBBC will no longer carry thick full length bars once I sell what I've got ( & keep one of each for myself... ;) ). Honestly, they're just too expensive for me to make & there are guys out there that are selling so much cheaper that I can't understand how thay make money. I don't make much on my stuff & they are selling below what it costs for me to make it. I use 2" O.D. 1/4" sidewall pipe (have to special order it). A lot of people use schedule 40 pipe, whick is thinner sidewall & bends very easily. My cost on the pipe (just the 2" - doesn't count the overlay)for a 7' piece is almost $70. By the time I pay my welder, there's not much left for me. Hence, the dropping of the thick bars from the FBBC line.