Parallel And 1 Inch Set

Bill Piche

Approx. Parallel set.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.p...&cmd=si&img=264

1 inch set

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.p...&cmd=si&img=265

Comments? Obviously approximate on the parallel, but is this what we all believe is about parallel? Note the comparison to 1 inch.

Well, appears as though 1 inch is a bit wider than parallel. Not sure what you're fishing for specifically, but I'm of the opinion that evne though parallel may be less than one inch, it's still visually easier to verify, so as long as the grippers aren't tighter than parallel, it should be all good for our purposes.

What I am trying to do is show everyone "the what" for the parallel rule. :)

What it looks like. Judges in particular. :mosher

Ok, I realize I have made everyone angry with some of my posts lately. I didn't mean too, I just kinda say what I think - or see. Anyway, after seeing the pictures of the sets (1 inch and Parallel) I'm starting to see what Strossen maybe had a proplem with. I have never set that deep before when attempting a close. I kinda set it in my hand and get a firm grip on it - which means maybe moving it in about a 1/2 inch. And then I squeeze to close. I'm not so sure now, after seeing those pictures, that I disagree with Strossen. Hell, that's more than halfway closed before the squeeze even starts. But if that's ok with everyone else, I'll go along with it.

Sixgun

Well, if you are specifically stating the handles must be parallel and to

me, that means "plumb" as in the top edge of the handles are in

the same plane as the bottom of the handles.

Just for kicks, I clamped a #3 in a vice and closed it down to the 1

inch requirement ( This was measured at the bottom of the handles

with a caliper using the ID points)

With the handles at this 1 inch set, the ID at the top of the handles

equaled a 3/4 inch width. Visually you could see that the handles

were a little wider than parallel.

Cranking the #3 handles down closer to get both the top and bottom

inside width to measure 3/4, plainly showed this was parallel for this

particular gripper.

Ok argument being, this is a #3 with a 3 inch handle width (inside)

and that #3s can and do vary with this inside measure.

I think a set at 1 inch is fair for all grippers and their peculiar inside widths

Ok, I realize I have made everyone angry with some of my posts lately. I didn't mean too, I just kinda say what I think - or see. Anyway, after seeing the pictures of the sets (1 inch and Parallel) I'm starting to see what Strossen maybe had a proplem with. I have never set that deep before when attempting a close. I kinda set it in my hand and get a firm grip on it - which means maybe moving it in about a 1/2 inch. And then I squeeze to close. I'm not so sure now, after seeing those pictures, that I disagree with Strossen. Hell, that's more than halfway closed before the squeeze even starts. But if that's ok with everyone else, I'll go along with it.

Sixgun

There isn't much range of motion to get it to parallel.

Ok, I've been playing around with the #2 and my "02" #3, and I see what you mean. It's the last inch or so that's the hardest anyway. I'm cool with it. It's just a little deeper than what I'm used to starting with, that was all I was saying.That's cool.

Sixgun...

Ok, I've been playing around with the #2 and my "02" #3, and I see what you mean.  It's the last inch or so that's the hardest anyway.  I'm cool with it.  It's just a little deeper than what I'm used to starting with, that was all I was saying.That's cool.

Sixgun...

Actually, I had just noticed in reality the range to get it there is not that great. :mosher

The last inch is definitely the toughest. ALthough if a gripper has a spread of 3" your still moving it 2" to get to parallel which is alot in my opinion. I do use the set though and dont have a problem with it. I enjoy training with and without a set. Just rambling :whacked