Pinchgrip Block Vs. Hex Dumbell

skadinkus

Hello,

I am new to training my pinchgrip and am unclear on the relative merits of using a pinchgrip block versus "dehandled" hex dumbells :( . It appears to me that the pinchgrip block would be the more efficient route (don't have to hacksaw dumbell handles) and additional weight could be added to the system more easily. If this is the case, why is the dumbell approach so popular? Any opinions are welcome! :help

Welcome to the gripboard!

A lot of people like blocks because it is a more challenging way to train pinch due to the outwardly sloping sides. Also, it is the best way to train for lifting the blob.

I think the block weights are more versatile. I think I can do more types of exercises with them. You can deadlift them by both the side and by the face. You can clean and press them. You can use them to do curls similar to plate curls (these blast the biceps). You can pass them around the body (I love this exercise). You can also toss them and catch them overhand. Also, as the weights get heavier, the width increases making them even more difficult.

None of that should be mis-construed to say the pinch block is without value. The pinch block is a great exercise also, but it is different from block weights. :)

The block weights allow you to train your pinch at different widths, as each weight is progressively larger, and they have both a narrow face and wide face to work on. I personally feel the block weights will give you a better all around pinch grip than just using a pinch block. The downside is that yes it does become expensive to buy a bunch of block weights, one way to cut cost is to find another gripster and split the cost of each dumbell. An easy way to cut the handle off is by using a circular saw with a metal cutting blade, on a good saw you can remove the bottom guide allowing you to get in close to the bell and make a clean cut. Cuts them like butter...Brett

Please, use the search function and read Mastery of Hand Strength. This will help greatly and answer a lot of questions.

-HH

You mean scratching away on the handle with a 32 tpi hacksaw blade isn't the fastest way?!?!?

That's my special technique. SUPER fast.