Certifcation For Fbbc

John Beatty

Guys -

Got it done. The rules & cert forms are up. If you can't get one file to open, try the other.

If I missed something crucial, let me know.

FAT BASTARD BARBELL CO

Great work John!

One minor critique: A 1.5" distance between the insides of the bent stock may prove a bit excessive, especially on something similar to the grade 5 and 8 bolts, which have a tendency to spring back. This would require that these bolts would have to be bent well beyond the 1.5" mark to "stay put" at the required distance. Maybe some can do this. I simply can't. My hand(s) get in the way of themselves.

Edited by EricMilfeld

If terminator, steve, and shrug are getting bored bending the "easy" red nails, I'm sure it won't be long before they start on your list. Looks great, John!

Thanks - I'm pretty excited about getting it going. I'll change the bolt ending mark to 2" or would less that 45 degrees be good on bolts? Would anyone want even bigger diameter "challenge" stock - 3/8", 7/16" or even bigger? I can't do it, but I'm sure some of you guys can.

I'll change the bolt ending mark to 2" or would less that 45 degrees be good on bolts? Would anyone want even bigger diameter "challenge" stock - 3/8", 7/16" or even bigger?

I think two inches is fine. A short bend of 3/8" steel, unless it's exceptionally soft stock, would probably stump the best of em. Aluminum would be very doable, but the price is considerably higher.

Soft 3/8" steel is easy to bend at a 7" length, and is pretty cheap. It also looks really cool. Unfortunately you have to anneal it yourself, which may cause difficulties in getting consistent bars.

I suspect Pat could bend short pieces of 1/2" or better steel if it was annealed.

Awsome John! thanks for doing this for all us benders. Looks very good and I am pumped to start working towards this. Thanks Again! :rock

John,

We appreciate you setting up a another certification for bending. I am definitely going to try and certify when my strength reaches that level.

No problem, guys, it's something I've never done before, so I'm jacked up, too.

Dave - did you get your stuff & have you bent it all yet? How long does it take to go through 120 pc?

John,

I got my stuff yesterday evening and am going to try it on Sunday. I think the round stock will be good for volume work and I am not sure about the square. I still have some 1/4" square stock that I cut to 6" a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to put more than a small kink in it. Either it is really hard square stuff or I have just been acting like a pansy every time I go to bend it.

Great job on the certifications, John. I just read through the rules, and I have a question about #1, which reads:

"1) NO BRACING - HANDS MAY BE AT ANY BODY LEVEL, BUT HANDS & ARMS MUST BE FREE OF ANY OTHER BODY PART. "

I think I understand the "spirit" of the rule, which to prevent bracing against a leg, your side, etc. The hands and wrists are what need to do the bending. However, my hands, wrist, forearms are usually touching my chest during a bend. This is for the simple fact that I get more leverage by keeping my hands close to my body. If we follow this rule to the letter, then we will have to maintain a distance between our chest and hands.

Is that the intent? If so, that is fine, I am just trying to clarify. If I am not making sense, read through the rules for a bend here on the gripboard. You will see that the hands can contact anything from the pecs up. I am not saying your rules need to be the same, I am just trying to make sure I understand them. Thanks for all you are doing for the grip world!!

Dave-

I can't bend the square at all unless I brace it. I bent one piece "anyhow". Pretty much braced it against every bodypart that I thought would help & it still took forever.

chrisof4 - I'll re-word that I don't have a problem with your arms touching your chest, just nothing to aid the bend. Thanks for the input-

John

It is on the page with the Bender's Bags. Go down and look on the left hand side.

John,

I got my stuff yesterday evening and am going to try it on Sunday. I think the round stock will be good for volume work and I am not sure about the square. I still have some 1/4" square stock that I cut to 6" a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to put more than a small kink in it. Either it is really hard square stuff or I have just been acting like a pansy every time I go to bend it.

David, do think the extra material that 1/4'' square stock has compared to 1/4'' round might be the reason you have only kinked it so far? Maybe this is obvious. :D

Old Guy,

I know the square stock has more material. I also think that if I'm able to bend Grade 8 bolts but not my 1/4" square then it must be because it is either extremely hard square stock (based on what other people have said) or because I just haven't been "on" when I've tried it.

Here's a small incentive. Since I don't have a specific shirt for bender's yet, first 5 guys to certify get a free T of their choice from FBBC.