? For Tom Black and Strongman

Guest woody36

Guest woody36

Gentlemen,

I have purchased some 6mm square bar

which i am going to cut to 6inch lengths.Have either of you bent square bar before is it easier or harder ?

also for every 1/4 inch cut off of a nail how much in terms of poundage does this add to the nail.

thanks in advance.

Woody.

Without having done any bar-bending I'm gonna guess.

Square ought to give a tiny advnatge purely as the surface area will mean a larger space to put pressure on. But at 6mm it will be tiny...

The pressure required to bend it is the same - its the leverage which increases. The main reason 6-inches is used is because any shorter and there is not enough space to get the fingers around and apply that leverage.

So... if you can do the feat with a shorter, but just as thick bar, you'll be real special!  

Woody, it's impossible to answer you're question without knowing the material that the square stock is made from.  I used to think square stock was very hard, but it turns out that it was just the material that I had (I believe I was trying to bend cold-rolled zinc plated steel (I'm not sure what it was).  Hot rolled 6mm should be easy, but cold rolled should be tough.  I don't have any to test so you're on your own!  Keep in mind there is actually more cross sectional area is square stock compared to round.

On the 1/4" cut off, I'll take a guess.  As you may remember I did the following progression for 3 weeks:  1/4"x6", 1/4"x5.75", 1/4"x5.5", 1/4"x5.25" with hot rolled steel, but bent the hardest way (Slim-Style palms down, out in front).  The first 1/4" of bend on the 6" piece is 200-pounds as I tested with weights.  I did not test the other lengths, but the final bend of 5.25 can't be 250-pounds because I still can't bend a nail Slim-Style that I know is 250 pounds to bend 1/4 of an inch.  The 5.25 must be close to 250 because I can feel that same nail flex when I try.

Well, there's all my evidence.  My conclusion would be about 15 pounds for the hot rolled steel per quarter inch.  However, for different material the number would be different.  It might be more appropriate to consider this as a percent, which would be 7.5% stronger per quarter inch. There is a possibility that the perceived force needed is non-linear because with very small bars your fingers do not fit on the bar.  Testing with weights would not illustrate this, only with perceived effort will you really understand.  This is why I'm very proud that I've bent the Ironmind blue with 1" off  (not Slim-Style, that's for sure), I can't get my whole hand on the short bar, jumping up the perceived force to bend.

Guest woody36

Tom,

As always thanks for getting back to me,i have

been trying to bend some of the square bar a piece

10 inches long.It is much tougher than the 6inch

nails i have been bending but i will persevere till i bend

it.

thanks again Tom.

Woody.