Forearm Tightness

SqeezeMasterFlash

Have any of you guys discovered since you started doing grip that it leaves your forearm muscles tight and affects your ability to properly rack cleans? If so, any advice for keeping the forearms loose?

Thanks

Jeff,

I haven't experienced this before. How often are you doing exercises that require you to have the bar in the racked position? I do cleans and front squats pretty regularly and I think my wrists and forearms have adapted and always have that flexibility regardless of what kind of grip work I have done. You should come lift at the boiler room sometime with BC, M2, and myself.

Sounds weird but, shoot some hoop. Just shooting and dribbling will lossen up your wrist and forearm muscles nicely.

More cleans.

Handstands and/or handstand push-ups.

Isometric stretches...as in bend your wrist back slightly then try to straighten it out but, leave it in the bent posisiton. Keep moving further and further back but, stay away from pain. Do this after your workouts as a finisher. It should increase the range of motion in your wrists.

I'm sure there are many other ways too.

-Keith-

Dave, I think he's talking about the same thing I was complaining about a month or so back when you showed me how to start w/ just one finger under, etc. Same day you were showing me the snatch squats, etc.

Jeff: I could not rack a clean, either. I jsut had to get it to press position, but with a little bit of his advice I seriously started having results in about 30 seconds. Basically just work with jsut the bar and one finger under it and just hold and stretch. Then two fingers, etc. Eventually you'll be able to land it in a proper rack rather than having to control it the entire time. Shoulder flexibility is also key, to get your elbows pointing forward, and snatch squats helped that.

Edited by CMunger

Jeff i have the exact same problem. Don't know how to correct it.

I spoke with a coach who said the best way to loosen them is just more cleans. I'll give it a shot. I guess just forcing your elbows high when racking the bar eventually will loosen up any tightness in the forearms and triceps.

Isometrics. Try to force your elbows up against an imovable object in a manner most resembling you rack position. Do a few sets.

Then do some cleans.

Then after the workout do some handstands (feet against the wall is fine). These will get your wrists nice and flexible/strong in the bent position.

I had the same problem.

More cleans is the perscription but, doing the above will help you achieve the rack quicker.

If your forearms are tight, shooting some hoop will help. It shakes out the tension.

-Keith-

More cleans with light weights to get your wrists used to that range of motion.

JasonL

I used to have the same problem, handstands against a wall helped a lot, as well as lots and lots of stretching and practising.

Jeff