Michigan Grip Championship

Bob Lipinski

I am looking at holding a grip contest in Midland, MI around the second or 3rd week of May. It will be a pretty low budget affair, but I am hoping to get some prizes lined up.

Stay tuned, hopefully I will get things finalized within the week.

Events:

Grippers

Pinching (blocks or plates, haven't decided)

Steel bending

Rolling Thunder

Any idea how far midland is from st. paul? Would you allow sets on the grippers?

Midland.... that's about a 25 min. drive from my place. I'm game if it goes down. I've never done any steel bending before. It should be real interesting. How about a farmer's walk event being thrown in there as well? Just a thought.

Geez, Midland is right in the middle of the lower penninsula- Probably quite a drive from St. Paul.

Sets will definitely be allowed on the grippers.

I am not sure about the Farmer's Walk Leonard. I am considering adding an axle hold for time though.

The date is set. May 15. SMitty's Ironworks in Midland. A flier will be ready within 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

MICHIGAN GRIPSTRENGTH

CHAMPIONSHIP

If you think you have strong hands and wrists, come to the Michigan Gripstrength Championships and try to prove it! No charge for competing.

Events will include:

-Hand Grippers

-Plate Pinching

-Steel Bending

-One handed Rolling Thunder deadlift

-Two handed thick bar deadlift hold

Time: 11:30 rules meeting, competition starts at 12:00

Place: Smitty’s Ironworks, 1111 East Wackerly St, Midland MI

Entry Free: NOTHING!!!!! Free to all.

Prizes for 1st-3rd place.

For entry information, contact Bob Lipinski

Sponsored by Heavy Grips Hand Grippers:

http://www.heavygrips.com/

Prizes will include heavy grip handgrippers and grip training books. More info as it comes!

Tentative Rules and event performance:

Grippers: Per Monster Mash rules- Gripper may be set to parallel. There will be 10 grippers or so, and each contestant goes until they reach the hardest gripper they can close.

Plate pinching: One handed. Start with 2 25's to full deadlift, and add 5 pounds at a time. Smaller weight increments may be used as tie breakers.

Bending: Start with 3/16 round stock at 6 then 5 inches. Then go 8,7.5,7 with 1/4 HRS and 7, 6.5, 6 with 1/4 CRS. No bracing. Event will be timed. Keep going until failure. Quickest time will be tiebreaker. Cloth towels will be provided for wrapping.

Rolling thunder: Start at 120, 10 pound increments, if you miss you are out. The weight may be dropped and smaller incremements used as a tiebreaker.

2" bar double overhand hold for time: Pick either 1,2,3, or 4 (or more) 45's a side and hold for time. Higher weight then higher time determines placing. One failure will be allowed- ie if you can't even deadlift the weight.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!! Man I am Getting Married On MAy15th ... I will Have to Put off my Wedding. :blink:calm

Good events Bob. A little something for everyone

This ought to be fun and informal. Hopefully we can spark some grassroots interest in grip and other odd lift competitions.

Leonard, are you the guy who lives in Saginaw? I live in Saginaw Township. Where do you usually train at? Since I work at Dow, I train at the Midland Community Center.

SS

May 15th is a bad day, thats the downtown ho down buddy!!

Midland is about 1.5 hrs. from where i'm at, dam wish I could make it. :dry

SShafley,

I actually live in Frankenmuth and train at Bavarian Fitness. I'm currently getting back into powerlifting. I lost quite a bit of strength but am making pretty good gains. Do you compete in any strength sports?

Sounds great. I may be able to make it I may not. I don't know yet. I will know soon. Do I just show up or do I need to fill out an entry form?

Bob,

Sounds like an excellent contest, I hope everyone in the area who can attend will!

I am unfortunantly working that weekend, but if I win the lottery or something then I'll head down there.

Jon@han

• 1 month later...

Bob,

So what happened at the event? Did somebody get some good pics? I wish I coulda attended - ah, maybe next year! :D