Challenge Bars

bencrush

I'm going to buy some Challenge Bars on my next paycheck. I don't know where to start though. I don't want to buy every single challenge bar at the lower levels unless I really need to. Which CB do you guys think I should get? And how many of them? I can bend the Yellow Nail in 26 seconds. Thanks.

The Ironmind Blue nail is said to be around 180kgs. The blue nail being just a yellow nail cut to 6" you can expect the yellow nail to be in the 180*(6/7)=154kgs range.

Amaury.

I saw 170k being mentioned as a rough figure for a blue, which would indicate about 140-145k for a yellow. Best to ask David Horne though.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

The Ironmind Blue nail is said to be around 180kgs. The blue nail being just a yellow nail cut to 6" you can expect the yellow nail to be in the 180*(6/7)=154kgs range.

Amaury.

Its not quite that simple. You cannot use the full length of two bars to estimate the relative differences between them as the full length is never used by David Horne in his testing. His hands have to hold onto something.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Thank you guys. I haven't asked him personally, because I didn't want to bother him with such an unimportant question. I will PM him.

Its not quite that simple. You cannot use the full length of two bars to estimate the relative differences between them as the full length is never used by David Horne in his testing. His hands have to hold onto something.

I agree. I just use this method to get a rough estimate.

For example (using DH figures) :

7" 8mm CRS : 222.5kgs

6" 8mm CRS : 267.5kgs

And 222.5kgs*(7/6)=260kg to compare with the 267,5kgs obtained by DH

Or

Cold rolled steel bar 7” 6mm : 137.5k

Cold rolled steel bar 6” 6mm 157.5k

And 137.5*(7/6)=160kgs to compare with the 157.5kgs obtained by DH

I am surprised at such accurate sounding figures being given for such a primitive means of testing. I think the word approximate has to be used here somewhere.

The word "approximates" was used in the title of this post. Does that count, John? :D I take this with a grain of salt, but I also asked for the good/great bender's opinion on this because I knew they would know and that they would share with me, someone who's still a beginner to bending. I think everyone else assumes that the figures are off maybe a little bit.

I will admit that some peoples approximations and guesses are more educated than others. In any event is is a primitive sport. :D Have you tried actual nails Ben? Meaning a 60D.

Thank you guys. I haven't asked him personally, because I didn't want to bother him with such an unimportant question. I will PM him.

Ben, please let us know when you find out. I ordered 10 bars today, but can't bend the yellow strictly so I'd love to know to gauge my own progress (ie how far away am I??).

Thanks!

John, I have tried many 60d nails. Only kinked one out of probably 20 that I've tried. Not strong enough yet. And of course I've bent the weaker nails like 16d, 20d, etc.

Jeff, I haven't gotten a response yet from David Horne. I've been having some computer troubles, so I sent the message again, just in case he didn't get the first one.

Ben,

Lowes has some 60d Galvanized nails that you will be able to bend for 17 cents a piece.

Thanks for the tip on the Lowe's nails Travis! I'll get right on that.

David Horne responded to my e-mail and said he hadn't tested a Yellow Nail, but that he thinks the Blue is @ 190kg...and to get @150-190kg Challenge Bars. I will definitely take his advice and get to bending.