News To Me

EricMilfeld

I learned, via e-mail from Randy yesterday, that a certification bend of the Red must be performed in under one minute. Yikes! I'm not exactly Speedy Gonzales with the steel. My certification may be delayed a bit. ;) But I'm up to the challenge. In the mean time I intend to video one of my sluggish, marathon bends of the Red for your viewing (or sleeping) pleasure. :D

Just another small step for a very determined individual. BTW, was anyone else held to this one minute standard?

That definitely doesn't make things easier. I'm confident that it will be only a small obstacle for you Eric. In six months you've gone from not being able to bend Grade 5's to knocking on the door of the Red. Very inspirational!

This is just another example of Randy changing rules midstream in a pathetically obvious attempt to staunch the flow of certificatuions. Up until now no one has been subject to a time limit in which the bend must be performed. In fact, I doubt that many of the currently certified Red benders could meet this new requirement. No disrespect intended. Oh, and did Randy also tell you that an Inch db must be suspended from a chain and clenched between your butt cheeks while holding a #4 shut between your knees( after first being set to the width of a credit card ) and singing the National Anthem while performing the bend. :blink

I had to meet this standard, my best effort is about 5 seconds and I rarely go anywhere near a minute anymore. I think 3crusher (most often overlooked bending "freak") is the first to be penalized for taking too much time. His bend took a total of 10 minutes, breathing and such, probably less than a minute of bend time. I'm sure he'll smack one in under a minute real soon.

I think anytime someone takes longer than a minute, we should say they "pulled a Weiner" or something like that. :D

my best effort is about 5 seconds

Are you training to bend 19 red nails within 1mn ? :D

His bend took a total of 10 minutes, breathing and such

That poor Steve is getting old ! Maybe his nurse should have helped him finish that nail ? :tongue J-U-S-T kidding, Mr Weiner ! ;)

I think a minute is a good standard. If you can't bend something in under a minute, you probably aren't proficient enough with it yet to be certified on it.

Like Terminator said, Randy is requiring Steve Weiner to perform a bend in under a minute. As to whether Steve is officially certified by IM on the Red, I don't know. Randy is open to dialogue on the issue and has invited input. Randy initiated the one minute rule to insure the bender has "mastered" the nail. Fair enough. Personally, I'd like something more like five minutes, but it's all a matter of personal preference anyways. I did submit to Randy a few of my reasons for preferring a longer time limit (listed below). But that being said, I look forward to the challenge of "Red Nail Mastery". By the way, I'm not one of those who ovelooks Steve Weiner's bending greatness. That guy's an animal!

1) A "hurry up and finish mentality" may invite injury.

2) The precedent set in other strength endeavors is for no time limit once the "lift" has begun.

3)Sometimes those "breathers" during a bend will allow time for the steel to harden and become more difficult.

4)We don't require "mastery" of a #4 close in a similar fashion. Imagine holding a #4 shut for ten seconds!

All that being said, I still think the rule as it now stands is fair. Afterall, Randy is holding all of us to this same standard.

Edited by EricMilfeld

This rule wasn't "known" to anyone until Randy stated it after Steve's bend, right? Or am I wrong? Wasn't this another case of Randy making the rules up as he goes along?...

Edited by smitty

This rule wasn't "known" to anyone until Randy stated it after Steve's bend, right?  Or am I wrong?  Wasn't this another case of Randy making the rules up as he goes along?...

This I don't know. Hmmm... Although Terminator tells us he had to meet the same standard.

Edited by EricMilfeld

I'm not one of those who ovelooks Steve Weiner's bending greatness. That guy's an animal!

I second that ! Ole' Steve ( i think i'm the only one to find this funny :laugh ) has made superfast progress, i think he took up bending less than one year ago (a few monthes before you, Eric, if memory serves me well).

But Terminator (or 3 Crusher himself) could probably tell us more about Steve's bending resume. Strong, overall strong.

How many has certified on the red?

Brookfield

Gavin Holle (any other Holle brothers do it yet, I know they were close months ago)

Terminator

Big Steve

Shrug

Did i miss anyone?

How many has certified on the red?

Brookfield

Gavin Holle (any other Holle brothers do it yet, I know they were close months ago)

Terminator

Big Steve

Shrug

Did i miss anyone?

Brookfield? Who was his witness?

I think two minutes as we've been seeing in contests is fair. Although FWIW, it seems like if I'm not getting a nail in 1 minute I'm not getting it. I took almost the full 2 minutes on my last bend @ Strong Arm Tactics, but that was because my hand hurt, and I knew I had two minutes to work with. I did that a few times when I was starting. But lately it seems like it either bends or it doesn't. Maybe I'll be able to get back to the point where I can battle a nail for a long time, but at this point it seems like my weak links won't hold up to extended periods of 100% effort very long at all.

I dont know. He is credited as the first guy to bend a red so I guess he is certified on it.

Brookfield's credited with crushing a red with a chunk cut off of it (1/2" pr 1"?) so I've got a feeling that RJS himself has probably seen him bend a red at least once.

I've got a feeling that RJS himself has probably seen him bend a red at least once.

Guess again.

Is the one minute rule for bending time only or does it include wrapping or adjusting the wrapping. For example, when a person unwraps it a little in the final crush down, is the clock still running or is it just when the person is cranking on the nail? The double wraps especially tend to eat up a lot of time.