Moving On...

Tom Black

Well, now that it looks like things are slowing down on the "Ironmind News" thread (or maybe not), here’s a constructive suggestion for real training under the new rules.

Don’t use the card. The card is for testing, not for training. When I sat down to train with the card I lasted for about the first day. I’ve been using the set and release method, the only way I can hope to get my pinky in a good position (it slips when I bring it out to 2 1/8”). Now, what I noticed is after maybe 20 attempts with the card is that I knew implicitly where my stretched out hand was at the width of the card. To draw an analogy to being a musician, I can move my fingers all around a guitar fret board, I know where they are by “feel.” You don’t need to be a musician to get the “feel” for where 2 1/8” handle spread is, and if you are a little wide or narrow you are still basically training close enough to credit card width to get the proper training effect and range of motion. Use the card for a couple of workouts (or maybe 20 attempts) and get the “feel” for the distance and then don’t use the card again until a point that you should practice a little with it before your certification, or every once in a while to make sure you are still in the right spot.

Tom good post and I have noticed the same thing. It doesnt take long to figure out where you need to be after using the card for a short time.

Austin

Why are many of you so desperate for Strossen's approval, crawling in the dust like a dog trying to please his master? My certification means nothing to me the moment he changed the rules.

Becuase we see this as a new challenge for training we are desperate for Strossens approval? I have no intentions of certifying on the #4 but would like to close all m 3's this way and I cant see where your coming from. If you dont like it then dont train with it.

Austin

If you dont like it then dont train with it.

Like what? A gripper? I like grippers and I do train with them for that reason. I just find it fascinating that one man has the power to make a large number of adult men fishing out their credit cards when they train their grip. I would definitely go for Amex.

A gripper? huh? No sure where this came from. I like training with the no set or the wider set as i feel its a better guage of grip strength. I will also train with the 1" set for the mm cert process. To each there own I guess.

To keep being constructive, here's a tip from a rookie, so take it for what it's worth. If you're training to no-set, try doing it without chalk. I find that to no set, the gripper needs to move a little during the movement, and chalk makes the gripper stick to my palm. Give it a try.

As for me i just put chalk in the palm but not on the fingers since the fingers have to roll on the handle but i don't want the handle in my palm to move. Maybe putting chalk in the palm and oil on the fingers could make it easier still (just kidding) :yikes

I like training with the no set or the wider set as i feel its a better guage of grip strength. I will also train with the 1" set for the mm cert process.

I like training no-set-closes too every now and then, and yes, it is a better measure of crushing strength in individuals with similarly sized hands.

You are waisting your .... where things come from.... comments on me, as my linguistic barriers keep me blissfully unaware of its meaning. I guess it is a compliment of some sort.

As with any exercise there is a learning curve and practice makes better. Part of the reason that the new rule makes things more difficult is that few have actually trained this way. Many have become very comfortable with a deeper set so using a gripper by the standards of the new rule seems awkward right now. I like a deeper set because that is what I have trained and become used to. It takes some time to learn the technique of setting a gripper no matter how deep or open the set. As it seems in Tom's case, becoming more comfortable with a different set can be achieved in short order.

BC.

Why are many of you so desperate for Strossen's approval, crawling in the dust like a dog trying to please his master? My certification means nothing to me the moment he changed the rules

I thought this was supposed to be a constructive thread?? Enough crap has been spewed on this subject (by me as well).

Good points about getting the feel of the required width Tom.

Not using a set, therefore having no need for a credit card. I am using a dollar bill which happens to be the width of an open gripper. After using it once I quickly realized I didn't need it! :tongue

Why are many of you so desperate for Strossen's approval, crawling in the dust like a dog trying to please his master? My certification means nothing to me the moment he changed the rules.

HAH!

This one is almost as good as your "Strong child" post!

:rock

Yes, good question. Wannagrip, can I please have it removed thank you.

Excellent post Mr. Black -nice to see your analysis on this!!!

I have been thinking about gripper training a lot lately. I wonder if Kinney was so sucessful since he trained crush two ways:

1. Training that focused on the fingers doing a big portion of the work as with his grip machine training. The palm side is stationary and the finger side moves.

2. Negatives with his handle idea: finger side is stationary and the palm/thumb side has the movement so more focus.

So thumb/palm training could be a key ingrediant to training minimal/no set gripper crushes. Hope this makes sense to anyone reading it

Jon@han