Training The Wider Set

austinslater

Who is going to train this way? It would seem to strengthen the sweep and help with a more traditional 1" set. Im planning on using something similar as I was going to hit no sets hard on the advice of Jwood before before this whole topic got started.

Austin :rock

Personally, I find the no-set closes too much like thick bar, in that they leave my forearm tendons sore for days, and seem to hinder the rest of my grip training.

I am, but not entirely; I'll still take some attempts with my harder grippers with a deep set. By chance I had started to focus on training this way about 2 weeks prior to the new Ironmind rule. I had decided it had better carryover to my strongman events.

It will leave you a little more torn up than the other way, but that is precisely why I think it has more carryover--it's working more muscles through a greater range of motion.

Edited by rbrown

I will continue to do no sets on my #1 and if I'm lucky ?... in a few years I can get consistent with my hard #2 ?

But the main bulk of my training will consist of what I have always done... set closes ( I like to squeeze my grippers instead of juggle with them ).

I can't do it.

What happens when I try is that the gripper actually starts to drift the handles apart, sideways.

If I set it, I can crush it closed. If I don't, the handles start to pry apart in a sideways direction and never touch.

I will be working with a wider set just because I have nothing to lose if i do and a lot to gain if I do because the only grip work I plan to do is grippers so I would still like to get certified anyway by IM

It took me 3 months to no set close the #1 and I'm getting close to no-setting the #2 (1/2"). I've never set the grippers, and I was planning on no setting the #3 someday, even if I didn't have to. I guess there will be many of us on that long road, now.

Speaking of the sweep, I got a "Squeezer" which is Tetting's version of the TTK, and using it thumbs-down really works the sweep. I plan on focusing on the Squeezer for a while to see how it helps my no set closes. I'll let you guys know...

No, I will not be training a wide set! It means nothing! The hardest part of the close is at the end anyway, so I don't know what Strossen is thinking. As long as I can close the #3, I really don't care what Strossen thinks. In fact, we can cert people on the IronMind grippers ourselves. He can't stop us from doing that. I'm not kissing his or anyone else's butt just to get a cert. I will set, squeeze, and close! There!!

Sixgun

Sixgun,

You and I would get along well I think. :tongue

If you all notice, my name is no longer part of the (Edited to save Space) website.

Rick Walker :rock

Rick,

I feel the same way! And it took balls for you to do what you did! Pulling your name off the list! You Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk! Hat's off, guy!

Sixgun

I will never train wider set in reference to the new IM rules. I might do some no set stuff on my ISG to improve my sweep but it will be for the purpose of improving my sweep not certifying under whatever might be the latest IM rules. I'm going to keep training for the 1 inch set and when I can close my #4 with a 1 inch set I'll at least be in the same ballpark as Nathan Holle, Dave Morton, Tommy Heslep, and Magnus, gripwise and that's good enough for me. As far Kinney, well he's in his own league.

I will.

I hate to say it, but this is a classic case of giving people an inch and they take a mile. People started to use a deep set and they would then quickly slam the handles together and show the closed gripper. This was hard to judge, so the 1" rule came into affect. It didn't say you could set a gripper to 1", it said the last inch of travel should be clearly visible, but people decided to interpret it as that you could set the gripper to 1" and then close it. That type of closure wasn't in the spirit of the original challenge so this new rule was made. I don't like a new rule being made this many years into the game, but I do see it as being a sort of necessary evil.

No setting is tough, but I think it will be worth it, at least for me. I can't even close a 2 and I only have 6 3/4" hands so I'll probably never get a 3, but I'll keep working with the grippers and trying.

Edited by gaster

I am no longer going to train the first 75% of my deadlift, Bench Press or Squat.

Damn those Rules that say I have to break parallel, touch my chest or pick the weight up from the floor. It doesn't feel "right" plus I can use much more weight and look really cool.

I am no longer going to train the first 75% of my deadlift, Bench Press or Squat.

Damn those Rules that say I have to break parallel, touch my chest or pick the weight up from the floor. It doesn't feel "right" plus I can use much more weight and look really cool.

Apparently you haven't heard the new rules for squat. Your butt must now be within a credit card's length of the floor which will be measured in the down position. This is a great rule change though because more functional strength will be derived from concentrating on the down position. For those of you whose butt will never be within a credit card's length from the floor in the down position, that's just too bad you have to deal with what God gave you. You either lift the weight or you don't.

Edited by jad

Apparently you haven't heard the new rules for squat. Your butt must now be within a credit card's length of the floor which will be measured in the down position. This is a great rule change though because more functional strength will be derived from concentrating on the down position. For those of you whose butt will never be within a credit card's length from the floor in the down position, that's just too bad you have to deal with what God gave you. You either lift the weight or you don't.

And to test that you really are within a credit cards length from the floor you have to use one hand to slide a card under your ass and prove that it cant go under, only then can you go back up after screaming "NO WITHDRAWAL GRANTED!" at the top of your lungs so that everyone knows it's a legit squat.

Edited by Phluff-J

And to test that you really are within a credit cards length from the floor you have to use one hand to slide a card under your ass and prove that it cant go under, only then can you go back up after screaming "NO WITHDRAWAL GRANTED!" at the top of your lungs so that everyone knows it's a legit squat.

LOL :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

You three are cracking me up!

NO the new squat rule is credit card is put between 2 small pieces of wood ,the card faces up long ways and the squater has to decent and then grab the card in the crack of his arse with but cheeks tensed,if he decends to fast and bends the card,it is a no lift,he then has to hand the card to the ref for inspetion :D Anyone with a skinny arse with no Buttocks with which to grab the card between TOUGH!

Does the same credit card have to be used for all lifters? Is tacky allowed to help 'grip' the card?

There'd better be a doctor with some pliers on hand in case anyone goes a little too low at the bottom of the lift...

Oh man I almost choked with laughter reading those last few posts :blink

I going to train it with three fingers :cool ..... It set me back quite a bit but I think I might be able to overcome it eventually.