Contest Setting Question

Jedd Johnson

I would like to begin preparing for future grip competitions right now, and I would like to know how I should go about it. So I am asking the main contest promotors that I know of in the U.S. how they will be conducting gripper events in their respective contests.

So, for Rick Walker, Brian Carlton, Kevin Fulton, Eric Milfeld, and anyone else that I may be forgetting, will you be changing the general set rule from a one inch distance to the credit card distance in your contests this year?

Thanks, in advance, for taking the time to answer.

-Jedd-

Maybe BC will let a deeper set go unless your trying to certify on a #3 or #4 of course.

I favor the "parallel handle" rule.

Hey i just competed at the Iron Grip challenge in Northridge and for the CoC part of the meet, (Odd Haugen was there to judge too...he is awesome) we did the new rule. Handles were credit card distance apart before the crush.

btw i got my nuts handed to me in the contest. i played (lifted excruciatingly) blobs and the INCH dumbbell before the meet...which was dumb...maybe thats why i didnt do as well as i could. oh well

next time, i will be ready... :angry:

Guys, look to your creator everyday and thank him for what you have, be it a lot or a little. :)

MEAT

The Battle for Grip Supremacy will keep the handles parallel rule.

IMO no setting is BULLSHIT. ;) That obviously means that you cannot certify at my contests. Besides...no (Edited to save space) products will be used at all.

Rick Walker :rock

As Mr. Loaf said, we did use the new rule on the grippers. It wasn't too bad. The #3 we used was a pretty stout one. Not the hardest one, but harder than probably 80% of the ones I've handled. I set the gripper so I could get my pinky around it, then opened it up enough for Odd Haugen to slip a credit card in between the handles, then mashed it shut.

I kind of like how the grippers were handled in BFGS1, closing the hardest gripper you can for a timed hold. Puts all the set/no set/credit card/hands too small/hands too big/etc.. BS to rest.

The set rules for the LGC and the 2004 Europeans were designed to enable easy judging and a fair game to everyone. It is totally independant of the fashion of the day over at IronMind.

As Mr. Loaf said, we did use the new rule on the grippers. It wasn't too bad. The #3 we used was a pretty stout one. Not the hardest one, but harder than probably 80% of the ones I've handled. I set the gripper so I could get my pinky around it, then opened it up enough for Odd Haugen to slip a credit card in between the handles, then mashed it shut.

Clay,What were the full results of this contest?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my suggestion for contest promoters is to allow the set in the competition, then if anyone is ready to certify on the three, they can do the cert set aside from the comp.

Brian, What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

-Jedd-

You can set the gripper as you wish.

If a competitor wants to certify on a gripper (be it Mash Monster, COC, Tetting) you will obviously have to follow their rules.

BC.