New Training

Guest Hakfupai

Guest Hakfupai

It seems to me now, that the rules for closing a gripper have been altered, that programs like the KTA, which stress a set using the other hand, are going to be obsolete. I haven't tried the KTA and this is all from what I've gathered on the forum. Now I think that no-set is the way to go and people are going to have to start training a full range of motion. What does this mean, longer hours of training, training harder, being stronger and having more and more fun! :laugh

I think a set is a good thing and changing the rule, practically doubling the space between the handles is stupid, but, on the other hand, our training must cover the whole aspect of the gripper and not just one aspect of it, i.e., the last one or so inches. Besides, we are all in this to train our hands to be strong, not to close grippes like it's going out of style, sure, goals are great but now we need to be certain of our goals and forget about certificates and t-shirts and all that crap and focus on doing a good crush. I mean, think of it this way, if a guy does a squat and only does it for a quarter of the motion, can he really squat all that if it was a full rep. This applies to the grippers and much has been mentioned on the strength versus height in things like deadlifts and squats and I think there are standards that some will excel in and others will not, but we can all train hard and meet our goals. Besides, if you get the whole sweep, from no-set to close, you have got strong hands. Doing it this way I can almost get the #2 closed. I've just started training on the #3 and so am doing negatives to build up the strength.

If somebody comes up with some new training methods, they should share them all on here. With the old rules, the KTA destroyed it, now, we must look ahead and find new training methods, new tricks and destroy those grippers.

Unless, of course, it doesn't matter to you and you no-set rep the #4 while watching tv, props to you.

KTA doesn't have to change, the way you set or do not set your gripper does not change the overall training plan behind KTA. If IM cert is your goal you can do KTA with a credit card handy.

I am still working the close hard because it is a weak point. It is only those people who have the closing strength to get the #3, but lack the sweep that need to get away from the KTA type training.

I am still working the close hard because it is a weak point.  It is only those people who have the closing strength to get the #3, but lack the sweep that need to get away from the KTA type training.

KTA just SHOWS how to set in the book. It's not a program that RELIES on the set. Too funny.

Most who do KTA come away with monster increases in sweep as well due to the focus on NC's and negatives.

KTA just SHOWS how to set in the book. It's not a program that RELIES on the set. Too funny.

Most who do KTA come away with monster increases in sweep as well due to the focus on NC's and negatives.

I must confess that I don't have the program. My understanding was that it emphasized the close with BTR training and strapholds etc.

Don't negatives emphasize the close more than the sweep? Especially if they are done from a set position.

KTA just SHOWS how to set in the book. It's not a program that RELIES on the set.  Too funny.

I must confess that I don't have the program. My understanding was that it emphasized the close with BTR training and strapholds etc.

Don't negatives emphasize the close more than the sweep? Especially if they are done from a set position.

Not the way I suggest doing them. :)

Hence the term I use called "negative crush" (NC).

There's also various levels of how you can do the negative. Fighting it out all the way to the very last mm is brutal and can really work the sweep big time.

To be honest, I think when one's hand gets stronger overall the sweep has to go up in general. For example, someone having the power to even properly set a World Class has to have mega sweep power.

There's also NC no set negatives as a variation for some more sweep brutalizing! :)

I agree with Bill, that as you get stronger your no set will get stronger.

The negatives in KTA will give you quite a strong sweep. When I do them, I resist the gripper throughout the full ROM.

Also, a good sweep is necessary for some people to properly set the gripper.

KTA just SHOWS how to set in the book. It's not a program that RELIES on the set.  Too funny.

Not the way I suggest doing them. :)

Hence the term I use called "negative crush" (NC).

There's also various levels of how you can do the negative. Fighting it out all the way to the very last mm is brutal and can really work the sweep big time.

To be honest, I think when one's hand gets stronger overall the sweep has to go up in general. For example, someone having the power to even properly set a World Class has to have mega sweep power.

There's also NC no set negatives as a variation for some more sweep brutalizing! :)

:shifty

Works even better with a gripmachine. Just ask Joe Kinney :D

Which one? Certainly not on the SW, especially using a heavy weight.

There's also various levels of how you can do the negative.  Fighting it out all the way to the very last mm is brutal and can really work the sweep big time.

Actually, I don't believe Joe ever said anything about fighting the grip machine like he did the grippers -- all the way out. But, I may be wrong.

He used the grip machine with weights that immediately opened his hand up if I remember correctly. Big time weights you are lucky to hold onto period.

So, I concur with Snott on this one.

He used the grip machine with weights that immediately opened his hand up if I remember correctly. Big time weights you are lucky to hold onto period.

I thought he fought the weight all of the way like I do on my gripinator. I didn't realize you just go the hell out of the way of SW negatives after the initial resistance.

I thought he fought the weight all of the way like I do on my gripinator. I didn't realize you just go the hell out of the way of SW negatives after the initial resistance.

Someone else can verify, but I think I remember him saying he liked to work with the grip machine in the range where it opened his hand up immediately.

Wait, I think I do remember on the SW as well, he mentions that it was not built to let it all the way out to the end.