Proposal For Mmg0

Bill Piche

First, with the MMG0 we will not try and combat the gripper variance problem. The COC was always the "entrance" to the Mash Monster Cert. It did not have to be a certified COC either.

Second, with respect to the MMG0 gripper itself, the problem with this is getting a supplier with enough volume. I don't think Warrren could handle this. No way. It sounds easy. It's not given the volume. The way he gets springs also lends itself possibly to much more variance than probably IronMind. Just look at the growth rate of people getting into the grip game.

So, this is what I propose.

The MMG0 gripper is....drumroll please...THE #3. Yup.

We use the IronMind #3 gripper as our MMG0 level gripper! :) Yes, there will be variances, but we have that today to enter in the MM cert. HOWEVER, we will use OUR rules! The same rules as the MMG1 EXCEPT the grippers will vary just like it does with IronMind's #3 cert today AND we will NOT require unboxing, etc. If you have a #3, you can use it to certify.

Some people might have a problem giving IronMind the business, but that's ok.

We'll set up a new page for MMG0's as well. It will not be part of the pyramid per say but will be required to enter the pyramid. Also, it is obvious one might cert at MMG0 that is close to the MMG1. So be it, they'll just be able to certify quicker on the MMG1.

Comments?

I think it is a great idea, and just reading it restores all of my enthusaim that i once had to close a #3.

I also like this because for me there is still something alittle more special about closing a #3 than closing a beefbulder grand master. The #3 has alot more history.

Are there not enough BBGM's to satisfy demands, or is the BBGM too easy and the BBE too hard?

Hardly. It has nothing to do with the strength of any gripper. What we are talking is a manufacturing ability and service ability to deliver grippers. Nothing against Warren, but he's limited right now as I see it in being able to churn out grippers in enough quantity for a long period of time in a timely manner and a convenient manner (ordering) for the gripster. His niche is being a custom shop IMO.

I know some of the inner details of what it takes for cost, time, methods, etc. for gripper manufacturing. And, spring suppliers, etc. By the way, it takes about 10 bucks when the springs are bought in large quantity to make a gripper via a shop that is setup to do it in quantity.

Bill I think its a great idea. I liked the thought of using a modified gm or sm but that would be tough for Warren to keep on along with what he makes for the general public through wlw etc. Great idea Bill!

Austin

Here's the proposed MMG0 rules:

1. The gripper must be upright. No inversion allowed.

2. Magnesium Carbonate is the only substance allowed on the hands.

3. The gripping hand or arm cannot be touched in any way after the set of the gripper. No holding of the gripper spring after the close is started. ONLY 3 attempts are allowed and must ALL be performed within 15 minutes of the first attempt.

4. The gripper can be set with the opposite hand - but not to closer than parallel handles. The setting hand must be clearly removed for the witness to observe the close. No "hocus pocus" allowed which means turning the body away from the witness or bending over to hide the gripping hand.

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close

6. The handles must touch.

7. The gripper cannot be altered in any way prior to the attempt (e.g., no clamps, etc. added to the gripper).

8. The close must be video taped at the time it's witnessed. The video must then be submitted to Wannagrip for gripboard posting. VHS, 8mm, 8mm digital, or digital format from digital cameras are fine. If the video is in question, two other gripboard members will be called on to judge. The witness and the 2 other judges will then vote with a 2 out of 3 verdict passes the certification.

9. The witness must be a member of the gripboard or a qualified person delegated by the gripboard members. The witnesses will be determined by gripboard members.

10. The gripper for the MMG0 certification is an IronMind #3 Gripper.

Sounds good.

The coc 3 is widely spread and many have been working to close it so this way would satisfy all of us that just lost hope that the eventual 3 close would have any meaning.

If you use the CoC 3 it isn't needed, bot otherwise: As to highest quality grippers in larger numbers I would suggest Robert Baraban.

Nils

Wannagrip

Is this the only IM gripper that will be used in the GB cert process? I have a #3 so will not have to buy another from IM to cert, but would feel better knowing that I can climb the ladder without having to buy from IM again in the future ('cause I won't, and that could cause logistical problems).

Thanks

CJ

Wannagrip

Is this the only IM gripper that will be used in the GB cert process? I have a #3 so will not have to buy another from IM to cert, but would feel better knowing that I can climb the ladder without having to buy from IM again in the future ('cause I won't, and that could cause logistical problems).

Thanks

CJ

Yup. So, if you have one, you are good to go! :)

Again, this is just a proposal right now.

Wannagrip this seems like a good solution. The #3 will still be mine bawahahahahahaha.

Bill,

From a logistical point of view this is a very good suggestion. It allows those who've already made an investment in a #3 to have a reasonable goal to strive for. It also gives them a goal to shoot for that does not involve purchasing more equipment. That being said, I'll never buy a #3 from Ironmind after what they've done. So maybe I can get a used on from a gripboard member if I want to certify for the MM0. Or maybe a gripboard member could use a BBGM for the same purpose. Since we are acknowledging large differences in grippers, maybe we should offer some alternative choices for those who don't have a #3 and don't wish to buy one for one reason or another.

Brian

Sounds good. Cut through the BS and pick up where Randy dumped us. I would like to see the BBGM be an acceptable alternative, but I understand if you want to keep it simple.

Okay, this is in the proposal stage so let me add this convolution to the mix:

There is a system kind of in place where MM grippers are or can be sent to certain geographical areas, right?

Why not do the same for those who do not have a #3 and do not wish to purchase one from IM?

I am in The Pas, MB and can assume that I do not qualify as a witness, but am willing to put my #3 up for anyone wishing to cert in my area.

BTW, I will be a clearly viable witness one day.

PS .... I am glad to see much discussion on this topic as it lends itself to a cert process that can be accepted by all and does not come across as abitrary and capricious.

CJ

This sounds like a great idea :) What about the COC #4 though will it still be used to cert on and if not what gripper will?

This sounds like a great idea :) What about the COC #4 though will it still be used to cert on and if not what gripper will?

The COC 4 remains as it is. With the MMG2 and higher, we'll be finding out who the strongest crushers are.

With this new rule, the #4 list growth will come to a grinding halt anyway....

Sounds good, but I would still like to use a BB gripper I think, i tthought this whole thing was to exclude IM? So now those that don't have a #3 will need to buy one.

8. The close must be video taped at the time it's witnessed. The video must then be submitted to Wannagrip for gripboard posting. VHS, 8mm, 8mm digital, or digital format from digital cameras are fine. If the video is in question, two other gripboard members will be called on to judge. The witness and the 2 other judges will then vote with a 2 out of 3 verdict passes the certification.

9. The witness must be a member of the gripboard or a qualified person delegated by the gripboard members. The witnesses will be determined by gripboard members.

Is a witness required? The video should be enough. I am thikning about the fact you have relaxed this rule once with the mm1, given the increase in likely attempts witnesses may be more difficult.

Maybe?(following this train of thought and using the IM gripper in a cert.)just make the MMG3 gripper the Iron Mind #4?

That way Heath,Clay,Benny,Mobster,Monkey paws?,etc.close the #4(when/if they can) under the MMrules.

OR?find another gripper to be the MM3 and use the Iron Mind #4 as the actual MM4.

I don't think of this as selling out...just adapting to your environment and utilizing the grippers that many have at their disposal.Keeping the costs of equipment down and allowing the aforementioned guys to close the thing and become certified by the standards of their actual peers.

Dave and Tommy would likely be interested in recerting also.Possibly even Holle?

IF/When the MM4 list expands?Then have a company design something between the #4 and the World Class.

As optimistic ;) as I've always been about grip freaks being out there???the MM5(if there ever is one)will be a short list.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Maybe?(following this train of thought and using the IM gripper in a cert.)just make the MMG3 gripper the Iron Mind #4?

We don't want to do that because the jump will be too big. It's likely there will be an MMG4 though. We'd also have to test select the #4's anyway.