My Gym Has Stupid Rubberized Plates

RMbros

Hey all, new to the board, referred here from the Fortified Iron grip forum.

New to PLing and grip stuff, so I'm starting from scratch.

Unfortunately, my gym, which is my only access to equipment at this point, only has plates that are coated with rubber. I'm pretty sure that this increases the coefficient of friction between the plates and makes pinch holds easier. The plates are also shaped oddly, so it's hard to do any kind of wide span, say four 10s, without the weights flipping up.

My solution is to build a pinch device that I can load, but of course, I have a few questions:

I'm thinking of just using blocks made from 2x4s with a simple hanger, but I'm not sure if I should attach the hanger to the blocks, or use pinch pressure between the blocks to hold the hanger. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm unsure if I should use blocks that are attached to each other, effectively making one large block, or keep the blocks separate so they can slip against each other.

Thanks for the help!

RMbros - I would make one big block and attatch weight to that. The problem with having multiple blocks is that they are not heavy, or their weight is basically negligable. Plate pinches are hard because both plates are heavy. I suppose you could try making 2 blocks and pinching a wire hanger in between them but that might get awkward and you would have to pinch exactly in line w/ the wire or else it would fall out.

RMbros

I just had two blocks made from stock steel. The steel looks kinda like the figure below when looking at it straight on, and I had them cut a 6" piece off, so I had a block that was 6"H X 6"L X 3" W.

3" wide

/////////////////

/ /

/ /

/ /

/ / 6" high

/ /

/ /

/ /

/ /

/////////////////

Then I took a piece of 3/8" solid round stock and had that bent into a V and welded onto the bottom. I use this to attach weight to.

The 4" wide block is the same style, except the steel stock was 4" wide and a bit higher.

If this is as clear as mud PM me with your email addy and I will take a pic and email it to you.

CJ

Thanks for the input guys.

To clarify things, I had thought I would make a hanger by taking a length of something like nylon lawn chair webbing (maybe something a bit stronger) and tying a 4in or so piece of metal or PVC pipe to the end.

My idea was to simply run the webbing through the weights that I wanted to use, Pull the pipe tight against the weight, and hold the webbing trapped between the two pieces of board).

I'm on a pretty strict budget right now so, while I'd love to get some milled steel blocks instead of wood ones, I just don't have and $$ to spare. I think I'll shoot for that in the future.

Does my idea sound as though it would be of any value for pinch training, or should I try something else?

RMbros

My diagram did not turn out as it should show two 6" sides .... However, I am in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada, so shipping costs raise steel costs here .... even so, I only paid $17 Canadian for my two pinch blocks, so you should be able to get one for under $10. Or try scrap yards ... they may be willing to just give you the block (if we had one, I would have checked there first).

CJ

Check how I did my pinch grip blocks from this link:

http://members.rogers.com/offroadbiker/

Verrrry Nice,

That's sorta what I had in mind if I attached the blocks.

I take it you get pretty good results from that setup?

My diagram did not turn out as it should show two 6" sides .... However, I am in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada, so shipping costs raise steel costs here .... even so, I only paid $17 Canadian for my two pinch blocks, so you should be able to get one for under $10. Or try scrap yards ... they may be willing to just give you the block (if we had one, I would have checked there first).

Another good idea!

Thanks guys

Edited by RMbros

I just really got into grip training last summer. The pinch grip blocks are alot of fun to work with. I only trained pinch grip with them last summer and made my short-term goal of pinching 2 25's. Goal this summer is 2 35's and I'll start taking these for walks down the street again soon.

Rubber plates are for fags :whacked

and guys who have no other choice but to use them... :erm

MEAT

p.s. i HATE rubber plates. It TOTALLY takes the fun out of throwing IRON around. "Hey guys...let's go lift some heavy rubber...tee hee hee.... :angry: "

Rubber plates are for fags 

and guys who have no other choice but to use them...

Normally, I would only use them for something where I was dropping the weight and needed to reduce impact, but the damn gyms in CO are pretty expensive and I just took what I could find. Unfortunately, that means using rubber plates.

Maybe I can sneak a knife in with me and subtly skin all the plates, but I think it'll take some time.

My last gym had them, and I really missed that clang of steel, but the Gold's I'm at now has 'em. Good to hear and feel them again :). Hub lifts are funny, though, and even amongst metal plates they are really varied. At home, I've got some slick Sports Authority Oly plates, and my 25 is glued to the floor, even with chalk :angry: . Today, for the hell of it, without chalk, I grabbed a 25 at Gold's and it came up no problem. It's all about the shape and texture.

Getting around to my point, you might be better off buying some plates of your own at Play it Again or someplace (try them first) since they're not too expensive - or get IM's Hub.