5.5" Grade 5

David Ostlund

Now that I have my challenge bars, I am trying to rank all my other metal on that same scale. I know a 6" grade 5 is around 230k and a red is around 280k, but where do inbetween things fall like a 5.5" and 5" grade 5 and a 6" grade 8? Thanks in advance for any input.

Dave

If a 6" grade 5 is around 230kgs then a 5.5" grade 5 should be around (6/5.5)*230=250kgs. Apart from this theoretical value, i always find it harder to get a good leverage on shorter steel which leads me to believe that a short bend is harder for me than a long bend, even if they take the same poundage to bend. All this is pure theory but i'll try the 5.5" grade 5 soon :D

I bent the 5 1/2" grd 5 after I did a 240, but before I did a 250. For me, it fell in that range somewhere. The grd 8 seems a little tougher than a 260, perhaps a 270. But I've never had an opportunity to try a 270.

I'm rootin for you guys to nail that 5.5! :rock

Edited by EricMilfeld

That would be my guess based on the ratings between the 6" and the 5.5"

Does anyone know how hard a 5" challenge bar is. Is it 280k?

It would depend on the particular Challenge Bar stock. For example, some 260's are 5 1/2", while others are 5 3/4".

Rob,

We don't do 5" challenge bars, as it's too short for some people. Our bars go from 5 1/2"-7 1/2".

David

Nice Dave! Looks like you're just going to keep raising the bar for Feats with Hands! At this rate I'll have to bend the Red at the contest just to keep up with you!

He bent the hell out of it. And the first 6 inch he did looked like a yellow nail. Anybody free next weekend can come over to my house for a bending party, nails, bolts and c bars will be flying. Come on over Chris and Jeff F. PM me.

Thanks guys. The 5.5" felt very managable yet when I tried a 240k bar right after I couldn't put more than a big kink in it. I think the 5.5" took more out of me than I thought. Looking forward to next weekend though at Jeff's house. Any MN guys who want to bend should come. I'm getting all sorts of stock through the mail (CR rectangular, aluminum, copper, hex brass, and titanium) and have no idea how hard it is. There will be plenty of material to bend and we can grab some food afterward. PM me or Jeff.

Bending starts at 3:00. Any time after and you risk having nothing left to bend.

Looks like your bending has caught up to your great overall body strength, David! Nice! :rock

A bending fest :D nice,sounds cool.

Dave great job on the sub 6"grade 5 bolt and then the other grade 5,s you are getting as good at bending as you are at strongman.

It sounds like these poeple will be there.

1. Jeff P.

2. Joe P.

3. Danno P.

4. Dave O.

5. Jeff Ford

6. Chris Munger

7. Gordon V.

8. Matt M.

Waiting to here from BC, Joe erickson, Aaron Boesch and our friend Steve.

Bend first then eat after. Plenty of cameras and chalk. Hopefully someone will put down some challange bars.

I hope so. I want to watch other peoples bending styles. I also want to see if we can even make a dent in filling our bending "graveyard". Very excited to see you bend Chris.

Joel Sward will be at the bending party. Theres talk he might also try another feat of strength that would be ridiculos.