Where Can I Buy Heavier Dumbbells?

Michael_B

I guess this is a no-brainer for most of you, but the sports stores I checked around my area (Big 5, Sports Chalet) only sell dumbbells up to 50 lbs. I want to buy a 60 lb dumbbell to make 30 lb block weights out of. Any suggestions?

http://www.wwfitness.com/dumbbells2.html

Better shape for block weights (more like a Blob) I don't know what they cost.

http://www.tkogear.com/TKO_STRENGTH/fit_strdumbb.html

The problem with buying them on the net is the shipping cost, but if you can't get

them locally you are stuck.

I have used three tens C clamped together for a poor mans block weight. Also, I use

four tens bolted together. (these are one inch hole excercise plates with the bolt through the center hole secured by washer and nut.) I have read that others rig additional weights on their block weights with Duct tape if you already have some block

weight.

Old Town Gym And Equipment, In Saginaw MI, 989-792-4748 Ask For STU OR MIKE and Tell them What U NEED And they will ship it anywhere cheap.

With shipping to Sweden it would actually be cheaper to buy a blobette then getting a large dumbell and getting it here!

That would also have the advantage of getting a block weight with variable weight.

In theory nice.

But I haven't heard about anyone using a blobette.

Anyone here that has seen it?

Nils

check out The Chunk by Fat Bastard Barbell- it's a lot cheeper than buying block weights or the Blobette. i'm thinking of getting one of these myself.

Yeah, I saw the FBBC Chunk...I was like 'd'oh!' because I'd already ordered a Blobette a couple of months ago. It should be here any day now. On the other hand, the Chunk IS pretty cheap, and it'd be great for if I had to travel.

Play it again sports usually has a pretty good selection. I would call a few of them and get their weight price. They are a franchise and most have different prices. I have seen 110lb hex dumbbells at a few of them. They will also order them for you. They sometimes get heavy used dumbbells in, and those are usually .30 a pound.

I have a PDA Blobette - I like it really well. The texture and shape is very very close to the York - I've worked up to a best of 43# so I still have a ways to go. I got to try the Blob at the Arnold (no go) then watch Wade kind of stroll around the platform with it. It felt just like my Blobette but heavier than mine is currently loaded. I came to within about a 1/4" of closing the #3 they had and I usually get to about that on my personal #3 so at least I figure I have a fairly average 3 now. I'd never had a chance to try any others before. Was lucky enough to talk to Wade for a couple minutes, he's a real class act.

climber511- how big are your hands? good job with the Blobette, keep at it and you'll be there soon.

check out The Chunk by Fat Bastard Barbell- it's a lot cheeper than buying block weights or the Blobette. i'm thinking of getting one of these myself.

OK, I had not seen that one before!

It actually looks like a more practical grip workout thing then the blobette for a much better price.

A shame that the blobette is sooo much better looking!

OK. So, new question: Has anyone tried the Chunk? :D

Does it have a nice texture?

Nils