Iron Grip Weights

raziel

Does anyone have these type of plates in their gym?

http://bodyworksfitness.net/detail.asp?ID=32

They're called "iron grip" weights, and ironically enough, they're more of a pain to use for grip work. They're akward to grab two at a time for plate curls, have huge holes through half the plate (especially the smaller plates), and you can forget about pinching because they've got a lip around the edge on both sides. Curling an iron grip 25 is alright, but I just look for some old 45's to work pinch.

any experiences or thoughts on these? Maybe new ways to use them? 99% of the weights in my gym are of this brand and I was trying to brainstorm on some alternative grip exercises with them.

Raziel, yes i do have some weights just like them, except mine are a different brand. I got them from Walmart for a very cheap price.

Yes for most traditional grip feats they are crap, you can't pinch them or hub them.

But they work well for plate curls

Now if you want a grip workout that will make you cry like a baby try this. Grab one in each hand and take a stroll around the outside of your gym. Try to walk a mile with these suckers. It will give you a very intense grip and forearm workout.

I am curious to seee how other people use these weight plates.

The only reason that I like them right now is that they tend to be thinner, so it is easier to load up a thick DB without running out of room like you would with "regular" oly tens.

CJ

We have them at our gym. Try doing hammer curls on a preacher bench with a 25lb plate, gripping it by the handle. It will give you a great wrist workout.

I tried hammer curls with the plates yesterday, very nice.

I've been using them for plate curls before, so I know they're effective in that respect. As far as the farmer walks go, I'd be running from the cops if I took the weights outside my gym.. that'd be quite a workout!! :laugh Maybe I'll pick up some of the 45's if i can find them cheap and try that instead. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was just thinking that the 10lber (with that grip handle) could be good for individual finger curls, extensor work, or scissor closing fingers. I'll give it a try at the gym tonight.

Walmart has Marcy plates that are 6 sided with hand slots, and also for the same price has Goldsgym plates that have the slots, but are round. I have not seen any plates cheaper in stores.