Dallas / Ft. Worth Grip Contest

EricMilfeld

Strongmitts, dubthewonderscot, Jaime Alvarez, and I all met at Weldon's yesterday to do what we do best: eat good cookin, listen to tunes, gossip about the Gripboard, play with strongman equipment, and, oh yeh, GRIP! So Weldon informs us that this strongman competitor might stop by, and possibly even compete with us, but failed to mention this grip virgin would blow our minds. Talk about potential! The contest should have been named the Jaime Alvarez Show. The highlight of the day was watching this 260 pound strongman take his maiden voyage on the good ship Nailbend. After demonstrating to him proper bending technique, I hand to him a timber tie, which he folded in quick order. We then all decided he may be Yellow material. Iron Mind's seven inch piece of steel proved no match for this monster. How about a blue? Done deal. Okay then, a 280 pound 60D? Easier than the last! See, now he's figuring out the technique a bit better. :whacked Well then, "Jaime, care for a 300 pound nail?" "Yeh, this is fun!", says Jaime. The twenty pound jump may as well have been a two pound jump. By this time there are three sets of jaws comfortably resting on the garage floor. We have one last nail that precedes the strength of a grade 5 bolt, and I hand to Jaime a 330 pound galvanized 60 D nail. He didn't bend it. He ANNIHILATED it! What did it take to finally stop this man on his first ever try at bending? Well, after putting a decent kink in a grade 5, he casually remarked that his wrist was a little sore. Hmmm, you don't say. :blink Jaime Alvarez: The Nail Annihilator! Oh, and his beautiful girlfriend: not just a pretty face. Same thing all over again. Destroys a White, and then a Green!!! And you guessed it, this was her first attempt at steel destruction as well. The best part: this couple is highly enthusiastic, love this whole grippin thing, and Jaime intends to join us here on the board! :rock

Another great highlight of the day was Weldon's first ever close of a #2! Great job buddy! You've worked hard for this. Also, Chris's pec tear is apparently healing up nicely. He performed all of his competition bending by the book, with no pain (up until recently he's had to do the crush down portion of the bend between his legs, to save his chest). With a full recovery he'll be smokin Grade 8's!

RESULTS

One Arm Deadlift

Jaime: 246 PR (good for 20 lbs. more, but jumped too much on last attempt)

Chris: 246 PR

Eric: 246

Weldon: 206 PR

Grippers

Chris: #3 (for two reps)

Eric: #3

Weldon: #2

Jaime: equivalent of a #1.5 (first time touching a gripper)

Plate Pinch

Eric: 171

Jaime: 161 PR

Chris: 136

Weldon: 121 PR

Bending

Eric: 6" grade 8 bolt

Jaime: 330 lb. 60D PR

Chris: 280 lb. 60 D

Weldon: 200 lb. timber tie (elbow inury prevented further attempts)

Rolling Thunder (apparatus weight included)

Eric: 167.5 PR

Jaime: 165 PR

Chris: 140 PR

Weldon: 140 PR

FINAL STANDINGS (based on points system used in Gripboard Grip Bash)

1) Eric Milfeld

2) Chris Caffery (edged out Jaime by a mere 1/100th of a point)

3) Jaime Alvarez

4) Weldon Stogsdill

We all had a great time and hope this little contest can grow into something big. We'll be contesting another one in the DFW area in about three months. By the way, all of Jaime's attempts were PR's, because he's never before attempted any of the events! Other than farmer's walks and deadlifts he does no grip or wrist work. Scary! Hey Texas guys, contact one of us if you'd like to join us for future fun. Thanks for listening and God Bless.

Sounds like a good day Eric!

Nothing like getting together

and training and competing alittle!! :rock

Sounds like fun and a great constest. You guys will have to advertise it more next year and get a big turnout. Congrats!

Austin

that must of been cool watching that guy bend all that steel.

Sounds like fun!

Hey Guys,

First off, thanks to Eric, Chris, and Jaime for taking valuable weekend time to come over and have a day of grippin! I had a absolutely wonderful time. I really enjoyed getting to see the guys shooting for PR's and compete with each other, yet encourage each other. We are an odd comunity, get us together, and we all want to win a contest, but yet also want to see the other guys do well and set PR's. I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to train with these guys.

A narrow second point, WOW, Jaime Alvarez. Guys, when I asked Jaime to come over, I wasn't sure how interested he would be in the grip contest, but figured he could endure it to get to the strongman portion of the day. That guy drilled me on every event but grippers. He is amazing. I get the wires removed from my jaw in two weeks and my dislocation should be healed. The bruising from it hitting the floor is still a little sore however! He would have won the one handed deadlift but for a little to much exuberance that though it cost him the win, I hope he never loses. He did things with the nails that I didn't think were possible on a first attempt. My mind kept going back to Val Kilmer playing Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone..."should I hate him darlin?....oh yea, I definately hate him!". This guy dwarfs me in potential. But have no fear, this will spur me on to a greater challenge and I forsee a tad bit more focus on my training.

Chris, not to be left out, did a great job, repping a hard #3, doing a one handed deadlift with a style that in my opinion was much harder than what Eric, Jaime, and I were doing. (Conventional rather than Straddle). He did some PR bends post pec injury, and had an overall great day coming in second in the contest.

Eric, thanks for heading the contest, coming up with the events, and keeping score. Though I anticipate the next contest, it may need to be a bit, good lord am I sore! I tried to close my #1 yesterday and it took a monumental effort. My hands and forearms are fried!

We need to announce much in advance the next contest and I welcome more people to come and join us. I can promise you that should Jaime stick with his grip training, he will stand a good chance to steal the show yet again.

W